Playoff Discussion

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Barbrady

holytoledo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:51 pm Fun playoff stat - every rookie to score a point in the playoffs so far this year was passed over in the draft by Detroit. The first rounders I’m not concerned with but there are 5 rookies that have scored in the playoffs so far this year drafted in the 2nd round or later. The Wings are not a playoff team and played exactly zero players drafted since 2019 in the second round or later. There are about a dozen rookies that were picked in the 2nd round or later good enough to play for a playoff team and we’ve got zero that could even get a regular season game in our org.
Now, do you think it's because the Wings legitimately haven't drafted well, or is it because the way this organization develops and manages their prospects is absolute dogshit? I lean towards the latter.

DelHowLich

Barbrady wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:21 am
holytoledo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:51 pm Fun playoff stat - every rookie to score a point in the playoffs so far this year was passed over in the draft by Detroit. The first rounders I’m not concerned with but there are 5 rookies that have scored in the playoffs so far this year drafted in the 2nd round or later. The Wings are not a playoff team and played exactly zero players drafted since 2019 in the second round or later. There are about a dozen rookies that were picked in the 2nd round or later good enough to play for a playoff team and we’ve got zero that could even get a regular season game in our org.
Now, do you think it's because the Wings legitimately haven't drafted well, or is it because the way this organization develops and manages their prospects is absolute dogshit? I lean towards the latter.
Cossa must be in another system then...........
Barbrady

DelHowLich wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:12 am
Cossa was a second round pick or later?
WingFanInA2

Why not both?
holytoledo

WingFanInA2 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:06 pm
Why not both?
I think it’s pretty equally both. We have drafted a lot of Euros and NCAA players who generally have a longer timeline, but Soderblom’s 21 games are the ONLY NHL games played by a second round or later pick made since 2019. 1 player out of 44 picks so far. Even the Oilers who have only had 21 such picks, have 2. They’ve only had 2 second rounders in that time frame. We’ve had 12. Did we downgrade from Tyler Wright & Co?
DelHowLich

Barbrady wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:02 am
DelHowLich wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:12 am

And a 1st and a 5th! :lol:
holytoledo

DelHowLich wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:09 pm
DelHowLich wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:12 am Cossa must be in another system then...........
And the guy picked with the first we moved to get Cossa had 24 goals last year, 32 this year and has 3 points in 3 playoff games this year.
DelHowLich

holytoledo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:35 pm
DelHowLich wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:09 pm

And the guy picked with the first we moved to get Cossa had 24 goals last year, 32 this year and has 3 points in 3 playoff games this year.
Yeah I was hoping for Wyatt or the other C .....Chaz??? Lucius ???? at that pick. And Wyatt's teammate, Jason Roberson, was one pick behind Gustav Lindstrom. :cry:
Zattaman

Ovechkin with enough gas to get Washington into the playoffs... and that's it.

Zero points and 5 shots in 4 games.

I think we would have done more damage to the Rangers. Maybe even steal a game or two. Oh well.
Barbrady

Zattaman wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:10 pm Ovechkin with enough gas to get Washington into the playoffs... and that's it.

Zero points and 5 shots in 4 games.

I think we would have done more damage to the Rangers. Maybe even steal a game or two. Oh well.
Considering the Wings had two opportunities in the final weeks to get a single win against Washington, which would have been enough to catapult them to the 8th seed, and failed, I doubt it.