End of year grades?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
EuroMan

What happened to that? Some of you post those and it's always fun to read ( even if I don't agree ). Can someone do that?

holytoledo

Euroman: F
Machine

lol
Pops usually writes up a good year end post
Maybe he is busy
Pop Zeus

Larkin - B+ - Finally topped a point per game with 69 points in 68 games. More of a goal scorer with a career high 33 in just 68 games - close to a 40-goal pace. Freed up a bit by Copp's defensive deployment, so the minutes weren't always the hardest.

Raymond - B+ - Really great finish. Seemed a little lost in the shuffle at times with Kane, Debrincat and Perron and Sprong and Compher, but became a leader at the end. Led the team in points with 72 and had 31 goals. I don't see him shooting 19 percent again, but I can also seem him in a bigger role, minutes-wise. Only six of those goals were on the powerplay. 25 ES goals leads the team. He was having a disastrous +/- season but saved it toward the end of the season to finish -12. 7-5-12 +8 in his final 8.
If he can play like the last 1/4 of the season, he's gonna be a bigtime core guy.

Debrincat - B- - 27-40-67 is good. But this guy tanked for 4 months after a brilliant start before waking up in the final week or two. TOo many defensive gaffes. Weirdly, wasn't all that good with Kane.

JT Compher - B- - Production didn't really fall coming to Detroit from Colorado. Even played less time here. His faceoffs sucked. He was a minus guy. And like Debrincat, he disappeared when most needed. 2-5-7 in a 19-game stretch when the Wings fell apart.

Kane - B+ - Better than expected, at nearly a point per game, including some huge moments. But really quiet and ineffective other times. More ES goals than Larkin and Debrincat. Still a minus guy.

Perron - C+ - I thought he was having a miserable season until saving it with heroics toward the end. He went 3-8-11 in his final 9. 14-22-36 in the first 67. He's not Kane. But he was semi productive and he plays with some feistiness.

Sprong - B- Really good production for his minutes. All around game was as bad as expected - until it was when it mattered the most. If you lose Kane and Perron, then perhaps he could still be useful as a low-minute offensive guy who plays higher when need be.

Copp - C - Tough minutes. Improved faceoffs from 49.8 to 53.5. 11-16-27 at ES was not good, but not awful considering his role. He's gotta find a way to build some offense. Because Copp was always a bit of a risky signing. He was a winger/center. And now he's being asked to play like an defensive center with some of the hardest matchups in the league.

Michael Rasmussen - B- - Finished the season injured again. What's that? 3 times now? Wings loaded up with so many forwards that he never really had a chance to take a step forward. Minutes have increased a total of 23 seconds a game since his sophomore season. Production was up by 4 points, but in 19 extra games. I liked him with Copp and Fischer. Still think he could be a bigtime improver if he gets regular powerplay time. Not sure he thinks fast enough for it.

Fabbri - B- - Productive in limited minutes. 18 goals and 32 points are his highs in Detroit. But he was also -13 in limited minutes.

Veleno - C - Bigger minutes a bit.. Increased production. Even got to 49 percent on faceoffs. But he was also a bit of a five on five sponge for minuses. He's getting closer to locking in as a full-time NHL center, but his hands are average at best. His ozone IQ is a bit slow. And he's a plus skater - but not an excellent skater. I like his forecheck. He did a lot of things I wanted him to do but in some ways was more disappointing than I expected.

Fischer - C+ - This guy can put up more points. He has before. But he's a hardnosed player who has good size. I think he's the kind of player a coach loves. But not sure he's worth much if he doesn't PK.

Berggren - INC - 12 games 2-4-6. Had some really bad defensive plays at bad times.

Kostin - F - 3 goals in 33 games and traded. Coach didn't like him. Buried him.

Czarnik - F - 34 games 0-1-1. Hard to see how that's even possible.

Seider - B+ - In a contract year, he got saddled with a ton of defensive work and lost PP time to Ghost. Still finished with a career best 9 goals. 42 points is the same as last year. 213 blocks and 211 hits - that's a great and tough combination. All against the toughest competition.

Petry—C—What can you expect? His offense kind of surprised me at times. His defense could be awful. Wasn't as bad as the social media mob thought. But still a WTF acquisition.

Walman - B - Scored 12 goals and seemed like was gonna hit 20 at one point. With that shot you wonder how he's not a powerplay guy. But he only had 9 assists, and that tells you something. And then he only hit 63 games again. Final 18 games - 1-0-1 -9. Didn't play much down the stretch. Weird.

Chiarot - B - Kind of like Seider. Blocks shots. Plays physical. Mobile. Big. He doesn't have the same take charge ability with the point and his passing isn't as good.

Maatta - B- - Sometimes he seems way to underappreciated. Other times those heavy skates are very apparent. He also had some odd defensive moments late. But he was +14 - a team best, easy deployment or not.
If Yzerman needs to dump cap and get a D spot, Maatta might have value. Maybe the Wings spice things up by moving a late pick with him

Edvinsson - C+ - Was fairly solid down the stretch. Offense wasn't there at 1-1-2 in 16 games. He cost a couple goals. But he mostly handled a stressful run with good poise. Importantly, he took only two minors.

Gostisbehere - B - Great production, but -16. He made some memorable plays - but not sure how much you want to spend on a defensive liability on the blueline.

Holl - D - He was not good. Not sure how he got this deal. But it's kind of surprising he couldn't stick in this lineup. He was +8. Just an odd signing and a strange season.

Husso - D- - Injuries or not, he was bad, despite a 9-5-2 record.

Lyon - B -Took the starters job and was MVP for 6 weeks. Then he looked terrible. FInished with respectable numbers. But leaves more questions than answers. Fortunately, he's very inexpensive.

Reimer - B - The old guy proved to be important at times and acquitted himself well.

Lalonde and staff - B - - Kind of astonishing that he couldn't will this team to a couple of wins when most needed - the Sharks, the Coyotes 2x, Washington 2x. On the other hand, when he had the team skating, they just seemed like they refused to lose. I'm not sure how much a coach can go to the well like that. This team also got fortunate with a ridiculous shooting percentage, so it's easy to see a big step backwards. I expected improvement with Kane, Debrincat, Gost, Sprong, Fischer. And we got it. But 91 points doesn't usually get you in. So what was it all for?
EuroMan

holytoledo wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:56 pmEuroman: F
That hurt my feelings
DocBrown

Ras doesn't get PP time because he is doesn't have particularly good puck skills or shot. You don't put 3rd/4th line grinders on PP. He is there for a reason. He scored the same number of goals as Zadina with two more minutes.

Edvinsson's offensive game doesn't concern me. One thing that's been drilled through his head is eliminate mistakes. Manage your risk to next to nothing. Only vets on the blue line can suck and you are not a vet. The game and skill set is there. He just needs a full time role where there isn't the constant reminder that errors are intolerable.

Veleno scored 42% of his goals in October and had two points the last quarter of the season. He earned his contract but not much more. He's an arbitration eligible RFA. Kane, Fisher, Sprong, Perron are UFAs and I think the Wings may want to keep Fisher and Perron and the other two are gone. Kane is gone because he will get better offers. That's spots for two GR guys which sounds about right for Burgers and perhaps Mazur. If there was a true roster crunch among forwards I would dump Veleno but he still serves as a low cost piece.

Holl. His status says more about Toronto management than anything else. He was a 20 minute guy there and here he was a scratch. Says alot about why Toronto never gets anywhere in the playoffs and that when you have the puck all the time at the other end of the ice that a guy like Holl can live in shroud of protection.

Euroman: A+ for fighting the good fight against evil.
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
holytoledo

EuroMan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:44 am
holytoledo wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:56 pmEuroman: F
That hurt my feelings
LOL! You’ve taken much worse on the chin like a champ.
EuroMan

Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:44 pm Larkin - B+ - Finally topped a point per game with 69 points in 68 games. More of a goal scorer with a career high 33 in just 68 games - close to a 40-goal pace. Freed up a bit by Copp's defensive deployment, so the minutes weren't always the hardest.

Debrincat - B- - 27-40-67 is good. But this guy tanked for 4 months after a brilliant start before waking up in the final week or two. TOo many defensive gaffes. Weirdly, wasn't all that good with Kane.

Edvinsson - C+ - Was fairly solid down the stretch. Offense wasn't there at 1-1-2 in 16 games. He cost a couple goals. But he mostly handled a stressful run with good poise. Importantly, he took only two minors.

Lalonde and staff - B - - Kind of astonishing that he couldn't will this team to a couple of wins when most needed - the Sharks, the Coyotes 2x, Washington 2x. On the other hand, when he had the team skating, they just seemed like they refused to lose. I'm not sure how much a coach can go to the well like that. This team also got fortunate with a ridiculous shooting percentage, so it's easy to see a big step backwards. I expected improvement with Kane, Debrincat, Gost, Sprong, Fischer. And we got it. But 91 points doesn't usually get you in. So what was it all for?
I disagree with these. First, the staff should get a D. They did not have the team ready for half of the games, they did not punish veterans who were screwing ups to right their ship, they were given a playoff making roster ( better than some teams who made the playoffs at the end ) and then added Kane. Most people were health most of the season, so no excuse.

Larkin was a monster and the heart of the team. He deserves an A!

Debrincat underdelivered and was lazy and bad defensively for a good part of the season. I'd give him a C

Edvinsson was great as a rookie so he should get at least a B+. We don't need a rookie D try to score goals. He needs to play safe.
EuroMan

DocBrown wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:48 am Euroman: A+ for fighting the good fight against evil.
Finally! A recognition I deserve!!! Unfortunately, though... I'm losing that fight in almost all aspects. But it's much easier to cope with it while living here in Thailand away from most of the problems in the Western world.