CapGeek Roster thread, 24-25

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

image.png
image.png (168.17 KiB) Viewed 112 times
$109,000 in cap space left.

Key considerations.
1) Needed a Top 6 Winger.
2) Bought out Holl. Needed a RD
3) Needed a true starting goalie.
-
After paying Raymond $8x8 - maybe a mill too high - and Seider $9Mx8 - maybe $500,000 too high, the cap quickly was absorbed.
Veleno got $1.2x2. I signed Fischer to $1.6x3 - maybe $300,000 too much - but I was trying not to be pie in the sky.
I got Zadorov to be our RD. Not great. But he's a big physical D RD who can take some Dzone pressure off of Seider.

Suddenly, you realize, there's no room for Kane. And your 2nd line looks like shit.
How the fuck did this happen?
So, I went back to the David Perron well and brought him back at 1x$3.5M.

The good thing is, this creates room for prospects like Berggren, Mazur, Kasper and Soderblom.
On D, Edvinsson is penciled in.
There's room here to trade Maatta and bring up Johansson. Even if he is a 7D, I'd do it.

Husso and Lyon in net. There's no money to go get a 1G.
-
Looking down the road... man. Fabbri and Husso are the only significant contracts coming off.

Line 1 was pretty good at the end. Keep them together.
Line 2... Fabbri-Compher-Perron - blech.
Line 3 is our forecheck, defense and matchup line.
Line 4 is going to be a grind line, energy line with a bit of skill.

When Fabbri gets injured, that's a chance for Berggren or Mazur to move up. And then Mazur or Sodeblom to get called up.

Maybe Walman goes back to Seider
Chiarot-Zadorov would be a pretty big, physical 2nd pairing.
Ed cuts his teeth with the veteran Petry.

In goal, Husso/Lyon are the random... which could be a recipe for disaster.
Wings gotta sign som 3G AHLG

wyrrlen

I think a dream scenario would be to sneak Matt Roy away from the Kings for 3.7 to 4 million instead of Zadorov. He will eat up minutes and has been steady in his career there. I also like Dylan DeMelo from Winnepeg - a little older and not as consistent as Roy, plus I think someone is going to pay him for his stellar plus/minus this year.

But honestly, I don't even mind keeping Gostisbehere. I would rather keep him than have Jeff Petry, for sure. You could go with:

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Chiarot
Maatta - Gostisbehere
Petry

Flop Maattta and Edvinsson if the kid starts to struggle too much to keep Chiarot afloat. Or slide everyone up a slot if Walman isn't healthy at the start of the year. Play Petry and Gost for about 10 minutes of 5 on 5 and another 4-5 minutes of PP time for Gost.
DelHowLich

Zadorov is not signing for less than $4.5M.
One of Matt Roy, DeMelo, Pesce and Walker are what we need from the FA's.
Fil Zaronek

This is bleak. Can't waste cap on so many redundant vets. Need to give young guys more opportunity. They are cheaper and they get better with experience.
Berggren certainly deserved more opportunity. He didn't do much when he was called up when Larkin was injured but neither did just about everyone else and they all use up more cap.