So? What's the goal next year? Finish 17th again? Pick 15th? Fuck the Rebuild Again?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Fil Zaronek

Stolarz (6'6" 2.03 GAA, .925 SP,) should be available as a UFA currently making $1.1m.

DelHowLich

Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:48 pm

Maybe he's a keeper. Or maybe he just never lives up to expectations and is traded around the league like Slater Koekok or Olli Jiolevi or Haydn Fluery or Griffin Reinhart or Derrick Poiliot or Dylan McIlrath etc etc.

Yzerman's first round is unproven.
:shock: Wow, just wow.
Pop Zeus

DelHowLich wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:37 am

Maybe he's a keeper. Or maybe he just never lives up to expectations and is traded around the league like Slater Koekok or Olli Jiolevi or Haydn Fluery or Griffin Reinhart or Derrick Poiliot or Dylan McIlrath etc etc.

Wow just wow?

Why did Yzerman resign Walman and Matta.... and then go sign Gostisbere? Along with acquiring two D on the right side if Edvinsson has shown so much?

Ed's first AHL year: 52 games 5-22-27 52 PIM -7
Ed's second AHL year: 8-21-29 51 PIM +5
Not exactly a remarkable improvement.

NHL
Year 1 9 games 2-0-2 -7 12 PIM Post deadline fuckery)
Year 2 16 games 1-1-2 +-0 4 PIM
The good thing here, to me, is fewer PIM

There's a long history of top 10 defensemen who never live up to expectations yet have decent careers bouncing around the NHL.

Wow just wow. LOL.
I think I got lit up for saying Zadina looked like maybe a better Tomas Tatar.
Or that Rasmussen looked like a third liner.

And I haven't even said Edvinsson is one thing or the other. It's my hope he becomes a minute-munching D that maybe develops good offense.
But he hasn't done anything to strongly indicate anything.
You seem to base your opinions on faith and faith alone.
Machine

Cmon Stevie play some kids next season
That’s what I was hoping for last year
Pops is just being negative and won’t say his catch phrase anymore
Say it Pops
holytoledo

Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:20 pm
Wizard of Corsica wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:10 pm

Right.
No offense, but a 21-year old with 1-1-2 in 16 games is not exactly a contributor.

You're not supposed to get "contributors" in the top 10. You're supposed to get difference makers.
Oh my God with the semantics. Ed is a keeper. Yzerman has done a real good job in the first round, mince it however you want. There's plenty of other areas he needs to improve if you want to harp.

His first 2 first rounders have been rock solid picks. You could debate Seider a little bit I suppose, but both him & Ray have strong cases that they have proven to be BPA at those spots.

Starting with Edvinsson, you could make a case for a number of players being a better pick at that spot. The deal for Cossa remains questionable. Kasper pick is looking a little suspect, but he was a damn near unanimous choice around here. Danielson - meh. ASP - looking like a great pick.
Wizard of Corsica

holytoledo wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:57 pm

Oh my God with the semantics. Ed is a keeper. Yzerman has done a real good job in the first round, mince it however you want. There's plenty of other areas he needs to improve if you want to harp.

His first 2 first rounders have been rock solid picks. You could debate Seider a little bit I suppose, but both him & Ray have strong cases that they have proven to be BPA at those spots.

Starting with Edvinsson, you could make a case for a number of players being a better pick at that spot. The deal for Cossa remains questionable. Kasper pick is looking a little suspect, but he was a damn near unanimous choice around here. Danielson - meh. ASP - looking like a great pick.
This is a pretty fair assessment, although I am enthusiastic about the Cossa deal. The 2 centers, we'll have to see.

Edvinsson may not end up being a BPA pick, but I was very happy with how much improved between Detroit stints. It will be interesting to see how he manages when not partnered with a pylon.

It's still very early, but Yzerman's hit rate with this group of players is projecting well. There's no Cholowskis in this bunch, of course, but they could still end up having good careers.
Fil Zaronek

I don't think one can debate that Seider wasn't the BPA. I think any GM who has drafted someone after Seider would love to trade that pick for Seider if that trade would be available.
holytoledo

Wizard of Corsica wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:22 pm

This is a pretty fair assessment, although I am enthusiastic about the Cossa deal. The 2 centers, we'll have to see.

Edvinsson may not end up being a BPA pick, but I was very happy with how much improved between Detroit stints. It will be interesting to see how he manages when not partnered with a pylon.

It's still very early, but Yzerman's hit rate with this group of players is projecting well. There's no Cholowskis in this bunch, of course, but they could still end up having good careers.
Eddy’s floor still looks like top 4 D. Kasper comes from a weak draft overall and I still think spends most of his career in the middle 6. Nothing wrong with that.

Danielson looks like a reach and that draft was super deep. I’ll be shocked if he ends up as BPA there, but if we would have taken a big swing at ASP there and then ended up with Danielson at 17 I wouldn’t bitch, so overall, it’s a wash.

Cossa may be an NHL starter. He may even be more. I’d still rather have Wyatt Johnson right now. But whatever… Johnson wasn’t really on my radar on draft day.

Overall I think Yzerman’s first round work is at worst a b+.

The 2nd round picks - especially last year - are what really frost me. Too many guys way off the board that look like they could have been had much later in the draft and too many guys we passed on like Hoglander, Robertson, Knies, Stamkoven, Peterka, Doan, Dach, Raty, Poitras, Hutson and just way too many guys to even think about from the last draft.
holytoledo

Fil Zaronek wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:36 pm

I don't think one can debate that Seider wasn't the BPA. I think any GM who has drafted someone after Seider would love to trade that pick for Seider if that trade would be available.
Well, you’d be wrong. You could debate Boldy, Zegras, Cozens & Knight there for sure. Not saying any of those guys come out on top, but there’s at least a debate there for any of them.
DelHowLich

Pop Zeus wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 am
DelHowLich wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:37 am

Wow just wow?

Why did Yzerman resign Walman and Matta.... and then go sign Gostisbere? Along with acquiring two D on the right side if Edvinsson has shown so much?

Ed's first AHL year: 52 games 5-22-27 52 PIM -7
Ed's second AHL year: 8-21-29 51 PIM +5
Not exactly a remarkable improvement.

NHL
Year 1 9 games 2-0-2 -7 12 PIM Post deadline fuckery)
Year 2 16 games 1-1-2 +-0 4 PIM
The good thing here, to me, is fewer PIM

There's a long history of top 10 defensemen who never live up to expectations yet have decent careers bouncing around the NHL.

Wow just wow. LOL.
I think I got lit up for saying Zadina looked like maybe a better Tomas Tatar.
Or that Rasmussen looked like a third liner.

And I haven't even said Edvinsson is one thing or the other. It's my hope he becomes a minute-munching D that maybe develops good offense.
But he hasn't done anything to strongly indicate anything.
You seem to base your opinions on faith and faith alone.
It does not matter what BS you spew: Eddy is on the team! So learn to curb your contrary nature. No offence. :D