Shai Buium

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
holytoledo

cska91 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:27 pm I think it's a fine pick, but can't imagine there was any need to trade up and lose another pick in the process. They certainly addressed their needs on D and in goal over the last few days (both long-term and short-term), but completely ignored the need at C. That's really puzzling.
Seems like he would have still been there at 70 or that we could have traded up from 70 or down from 36 and got a pick back if he was our guy. I just can’t excuse taking a project there vs taking at shot at C, especially after dealing away our other 2 seconds.

Edvinsson, Johansson, McIsaac, Wallinder, Viro and maybe a few others are LD prospects. Neiderbach is a C prospect - and that’s pretty much it.

dcz28

holytoledo wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:32 pm
cska91 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:27 pm I think it's a fine pick, but can't imagine there was any need to trade up and lose another pick in the process. They certainly addressed their needs on D and in goal over the last few days (both long-term and short-term), but completely ignored the need at C. That's really puzzling.
Seems like he would have still been there at 70 or that we could have traded up from 70 or down from 36 and got a pick back if he was our guy. I just can’t excuse taking a project there vs taking at shot at C, especially after dealing away our other 2 seconds.

Edvinsson, Johansson, McIsaac, Wallinder, Viro and maybe a few others are LD prospects. Neiderbach is a C prospect - and that’s pretty much it.
I guess Yzerman and the scouting staff weren't fond of the centers in this draft. One thing is for sure, Yzerman is going to need to get a short term fix at center unless he has plans on trading for a good young center. If he plans on addressing the center in the next draft or two then Wings need a short term solution at worst.

Florida got Reinhart from Buffalo for the 7th round goalie we could have drafted instead of Draper's kid and a 2022 1st rounder. Obviously the 2022 1st rounder would be a no go for the Wings and the Wings don't have much in goalie prospects they can deal. I really hope Yzerman has a plan to get a center somehow this off-season.
holytoledo

I don’t think Reinhart is a top 6 C on a contender. Definitely wouldn’t move a first for him in our situation.

I get that maybe they didn’t like any of these Cs but he just spent back to back mid 30s picks on D projects. We can draft a C project too. You can never have too many Cs, you can shift most all of them to winger as necessary. We can’t continue to ignore the most important position on the roster and pretend we’re rebuilding.
winged wheel

Draper and Yzerman both said they likely had him higher than other teams, but they view him potentially as a top 4 dman. Draper said he does a lot of the little things right and by time he turns pro he should be 220-230 lbs.
holytoledo

winged wheel wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:42 pm Draper and Yzerman both said they likely had him higher than other teams, but they view him potentially as a top 4 dman. Draper said he does a lot of the little things right and by time he turns pro he should be 220-230 lbs.
That’s when you stay quiet and run to the podium when you’re name is called. It’s not when you piss away a pick for nothing.

Also, we needed a C more Chris.
hiramnicak

holytoledo wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:44 pm
winged wheel wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:42 pm Draper and Yzerman both said they likely had him higher than other teams, but they view him potentially as a top 4 dman. Draper said he does a lot of the little things right and by time he turns pro he should be 220-230 lbs.
That’s when you stay quiet and run to the podium when you’re name is called. It’s not when you piss away a pick for nothing.

Also, we needed a C more Chris.
I got the impression from the way Yzerman said it that they had Buium in the top twenty or twenty-five names and were running out of patience.
Pop Zeus

holytoledo

Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:38 pm
If this makes his bro go the college route, play an extra year, make it to UFA & sign here, then I am all for it!
winged wheel

His brother did play with him at Denver this year, he had 50 pts in 42 games as a freshman. He had a great assist in the National Championship game.
holytoledo

winged wheel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:47 pm His brother did play with him at Denver this year, he had 50 pts in 42 games as a freshman. He had a great assist in the National Championship game.
Yeah, he’s expect to be a top 10 pick. Not sure how the whole UFA if he plays 4 years thing works since he’s played a year of college before his draft year.