Should Kane be re-signed?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.

Should Kane be re-signed?

Yes
63%
Yes, at a discount
21%
No
16%

Total votes: 19
cska91

I think it's a no brainer... he is what he is, and his game is not beyond criticism, but at the end of the day, Kane is a major contributor on offense. 5-on-5 scoring, PP, and shootout are all improved by having Kane on the team. This team was bereft of offense last season. Kane has been a major reason that is not the case this year. 30-goal scorers are not that easy to come by. Besides that, Kane is the biggest star to wear the Wings wheel in almost a decade. Keeping him will attract other free agents, which was another major problem for the Wings in recent past.

"It doesn't mean shit."
Andrew Copp
winged wheel

They definitely should bring him back, his numbers have been great and over a full season him or Larkin would be leading the team in points. Hopefully not a 3 year deal though, but 3 might be needed to lower the AAV.

They need to somehow get a skilled center for that 2nd line. Compher seems more suited for 3rd line center, where Copp is already playing. I'm sure Yzerman eventually sees Danielson or Kasper playing 2C but that doesn't help next season.
RatPatrol

So Zach Benson can play right out of the draft and Kasper can't in his third year?
winged wheel

I wish we would have seen a few games from Kasper this season.
holytoledo

RatPatrol wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:23 pm So Zach Benson can play right out of the draft and Kasper can't in his third year?
Right. Even though many considered him the most NHL ready prospect in his draft. He didn’t look out of place in his one NHL game either.

The 2 draft classes aren’t very comparable though.
Fil Zaronek

holytoledo wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:57 pm
Zattaman wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:23 pm Curious what you all think regarding Kane.

Personally, the more I watch him, the more I don't want him back. His offense is overrated, while defense is abysmal.

He hasn't really gelled with anyone. DeBrincat has looked neutered with Kane. Same with Perron. His PP entries often revolve around gaining or almost gaining the zone, then making a cutesy pass, which 50% of the time gets intercepted. I view him in the same light as Sprong -- useful secondary scoring. Unlike Sprong, however, he gets way too much ice time 5-on-5.
I’m really not sure, but 20 goals in 47 games is not secondary scoring. He is the team’s primary goal scorer.
It certainly isn't secondary scoring. Only Larkin has scored at a better (slightly) clip