Next Year's Lineup

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

DelHowLich wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:46 pm Can't see them trading Walman. He will be our only bargain D contract next year. It would be fine if to bring in a better LD like Werenski (pipe dream) or a 2nd pairing RD.
It should be someone from the LD.

Chairot - LD
Walman - LD
Maatta - LD

But we've got TWO LD who should play.
Ed and Johansson.
I'd rather trade Walman and sit Matta.

Edvinsson and Johansson will both be very cheap.

Machine

Pop Zeus wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:15 pm Perron - let go
Kane - bring back for 2x5
Sprong - gone
Gost- gone
Reimer - Gone
Berggren - Trade/back to Sweden
Soderblom - Back to Sweden
Walman - Trade

Fabbri Larkin Raymond
Debrincat Compher Kane
Rasmussen Copp Fischer
Kasper Veleno Mazur
-
Chiarot Seider
Johansson Holl
Edvinsson Petry
Matta

Gonna be a rough year
But that's what happens when you draft a billion D and never play them.
Eventually, they gotta play and it's gonna be tough.
lol
I’m all for it, play the hand you’re dealt as far as the coaching staff goes
Time to see what we have in the NHL with the prospects coming up
DelHowLich

FLA is gonna have a time signing Reinhart and Montour next year. And if they do they will only have $5M to sign 8!
I wonder if the Wings could relieve them of some of that overhead and trade Berggren (RFA) and Lyon 1 x .85M for Spencer Knight?
Zattaman

DelHowLich wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 pm FLA is gonna have a time signing Reinhart and Montour next year. And if they do they will only have $5M to sign 8!
I wonder if the Wings could relieve them of some of that overhead and trade Berggren (RFA) and Lyon 1 x .85M for Spencer Knight?
I'm for it. But, let's sign Seider and Raymond first and see how much money is left.

I worry that someone's going to sign either one to an offer sheet.

I could picture Chicago try to poach Seider for 8.5M or maybe 9M. They have the cap space and need a RD. That would really handcuff Yzerman and screw up our cap.
DelHowLich

Zattaman wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:28 pm
DelHowLich wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 pm FLA is gonna have a time signing Reinhart and Montour next year. And if they do they will only have $5M to sign 8!
I'm for it. But, let's sign Seider and Raymond first and see how much money is left.

I worry that someone's going to sign either one to an offer sheet.

I could picture Chicago try to poach Seider for 8.5M or maybe 9M. They have the cap space and need a RD. That would really handcuff Yzerman and screw up our cap.
Knight is about $2.6M over what the Berggren and Lyon salaries would be. After Seider and Raymond are signed and with Knight on board there will be $12M for 11 more players. Petry buyout would give them another $.8M to bring up a prospect. Very doable if Detroit brings up the kids for about 1/3 of those roster spots
hiramnicak

Pop Zeus wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:54 pm
DelHowLich wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:46 pm Can't see them trading Walman. He will be our only bargain D contract next year. It would be fine if to bring in a better LD like Werenski (pipe dream) or a 2nd pairing RD.

Chairot - LD
Walman - LD
Maatta - LD

Ed and Johansson.

you know that Yzerman isn't going to leave a spot open for Johansson. I expect he will keep all three of those guys, bench Maatta and play Edvinsson. Johansson will have to wait for an injury call-up, and then he'll still have to score consecutive hattricks to dethrone someone for a permanent spot on the team.
Pop Zeus

hiramnicak wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:14 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:54 pm

Chairot - LD
Walman - LD
Maatta - LD

Ed and Johansson.

you know that Yzerman isn't going to leave a spot open for Johansson. I expect he will keep all three of those guys, bench Maatta and play Edvinsson. Johansson will have to wait for an injury call-up, and then he'll still have to score consecutive hattricks to dethrone someone for a permanent spot on the team.
Then Yzerman isn't the guy to fix this team.
hiramnicak

I wonder what we could've gotten for Shayne Gostisbehere at the deadline. I would've loved to've seen Steve Yzerman move him for a center prospect like Fyodor Svechkov or Gabe Perreault. Not to relitigate the past...

---

Right now, I'd be looking to trade off or buyout a couple defensemen though. Worst case scenario, you can bury them, I guess, but Petry and Holl are too brutal on the back-end. Retain some salary if necessary just to clear the roster spot and maybe clear a little bit of cap space. If I can't sign Sprong cheap, I'd let him walk. I don't think he's worth the money he's likely asking for. Perron... I guess it depends on the contract. I'd keep him on a bottom six salary. Else, I'd let him walk. I don't think Steve is going to hold spots open for Berggren, Johansson, and Kasper, but GM Hiram Nicak would go into the off-season looking like this:

Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond - Walman - Seider - Lyon
Berggren - Compher - Kane - Edvinsson - Chiarot - Husso
Rasmussen - Kasper - Copp - Johansson - Maatta
Fabbri - Veleno - Fischer
Mazur - Wallinder - Cossa

I'd try to re-sign Kane, but only after Seider and Raymond are locked in. I'd be a bit nervous about overpaying any free agents (including Kane) unless you can talk them into signing cheap to pad the mythos surrounding them. Kane seems to like it here. That would still leave some ugly holes on the back-end that will need to be addressed via trade. I've always liked Myers as a second pairing RHD, but I think we'd have to dump Holl and Petry pretty hard to make that work. I'm assuming that doesn't happen and we have to ride the season out with something like I've outlined above. It'll be a rough year, but at least the younger guys would be working themselves into the lineup.
DelHowLich

We are stuck with Holl, Petry goes on retirement LTIR or is bought out (only saves $.8M) Hopefully Tuomisto comes up.

Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond - Walman - Seider - Lyon
Raz - Compher - Kane - Edvinsson - Chiarot - Husso
Berggen - Kasper - Copp - Maata - Holl
Fabbri - Veleno - Mazur

Sign Kane for $5 x 2, Seider for $8 x 8, Raymond for 3 x $5M Veleno 1 x 1M that leaves $9M
Maybe trade Berggren and Lyon for Spencer Knight That saves FLA about $4M on a BU and leaves Detroit with $5M after that to sign or bring up 5 depth pieces.
Pop Zeus

Lock up Seider and Ray for a long time. Inflation is gonna be here for awhile.