MLIVE: Horcoff on How the Young Wings are Playing in Sweden

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2020/11/ ... weden.html

A few notes:
* Veleno has put on 10-12 pounds.
Actually, just one note. Nothing else really stood out.

Costanza

You want to know what I really miss? I miss reading about a superstar in the making review on one of our prospects. I have not read anything close to this in well over 15 years. That's a real problem. It's been one of our biggest problems. I think you need to have luck along with high draft picks, it feels like we've been getting the latter only. Zadina, Velano, Rasmussen, Seider etc.. - we're all hoping they will be top notch NHL players, I'm not sure any of them will be able to play consistently in the NHL. Lucas Raymond? we're years away from knowing if he can crack the top 6.
I don't want to pull the alarm just yet but we're going to need two of our prospects to jump up quicker and show some light at the end of the tunnel. Edmonton has had great draft picks that are superstars and they can't win a playoff series. Are we as far back from them as it appears??
holytoledo

Costanza wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:54 pm You want to know what I really miss? I miss reading about a superstar in the making review on one of our prospects. I have not read anything close to this in well over 15 years. That's a real problem. It's been one of our biggest problems. I think you need to have luck along with high draft picks, it feels like we've been getting the latter only. Zadina, Velano, Rasmussen, Seider etc.. - we're all hoping they will be top notch NHL players, I'm not sure any of them will be able to play consistently in the NHL. Lucas Raymond? we're years away from knowing if he can crack the top 6.
I don't want to pull the alarm just yet but we're going to need two of our prospects to jump up quicker and show some light at the end of the tunnel. Edmonton has had great draft picks that are superstars and they can't win a playoff series. Are we as far back from them as it appears??
Matthew Wuest had a way of writing about every pick like the kid was a star and a steal with where we chose him.

But even though I'm not a big fan of the pick, there are quite a few that believe Lucas Raymond will be a star.
jaster

Seider and Raymond are our "special" prospects. Their ceilings are fairly easy to gauge, and they are exceptionally high. Some will say Zadina belongs in that conversation, and I really like him, but I think his ceiling is a tier lower than the former two. The huge question mark is how likely these prospects are to reach that ceiling. That's where the importance of development comes into play. And with both of them so young it's very difficult to predict. Fingers crossed.
tranzam
Site Admin

Costanza wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:54 pm You want to know what I really miss? I miss reading about a superstar in the making review on one of our prospects. I have not read anything close to this in well over 15 years. That's a real problem. It's been one of our biggest problems. I think you need to have luck along with high draft picks, it feels like we've been getting the latter only. Zadina, Velano, Rasmussen, Seider etc.. - we're all hoping they will be top notch NHL players, I'm not sure any of them will be able to play consistently in the NHL. Lucas Raymond? we're years away from knowing if he can crack the top 6.
That's why I wonder if it's better to build with lower-producing but highly functional two-way guys.
Seider might never post all-star numbers.
Jake Sanderson will never post Quinn Hughes numbers.
Instead of McDavid, you go with a Bergeron.

With young stars getting superstar/franchise money at 21-22 years old, they price their teams out of the market. It's happening in Edmonton and Toronto.
Fil Zaronek

Seider is a superstar in the making. Unless he gets injured, you will gradually be reading more and more stuff alluding to the fact as the hockey pundits wise up to it.