Red Wings Sign Mantha to a 4-year deal

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

holytoledo wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:29 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:20 pm Interesting term. 4 years.
Yzerman is really playing his uncertainty to his advantage, if you ask me.
He's getting Mantha's best 4 years left at what still seems like an OK price.

Mantha is 30-31 at its end.

My guess is Mantha is in his prime right now. I doubt he ever tops his points-per-game for last year. But if he managed a healthy year, I can see him cracking 30 goals and 70 points.

The deal says 2 things
1) Yzerman didn't like him enough to make him a red wing for life.
2) He's probably trade bait at the end of year 4.

Yeah, unless the Wings are contending and Mantha turns into more of a 35-40 goal guy, this looks great. But odds are they aren’t and he should return a first plus when the time comes.
Yep.
But I think both are kind of longshots.

jaster

I don't think Bert got screwed, at least not badly. Salaries for this season:

Larkin - 4.75
Mantha - 4.5
Bert - 3.5

That's not the end all, be all, but I don't think that's totally out of line for the impacts these guys are expected to make this season. I guess you could argue a little more should go Bert's way, but if he proves himself, he's set up to get a raise on a longer-term contract next year. And let's not forget it was he who filed for arbitration.

Also, the highest-paid Red Wing this season is Frans Nielsen at 5.0.
jaster

A lot can happen between now and 4 years down the road, but I agree that this sets Mantha up to be solid trade bait at the end. A lot will depend on how well he's playing and just how good the Wings are, but I do think, based on his age and the type of player he is and now this contract, Mantha (relative to Larkin and Bert) is the least likely to be around when the Wings are hopefully contending again.
Pop Zeus

jaster wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:55 pm I don't think Bert got screwed, at least not badly. Salaries for this season:

Larkin - 4.75
Mantha - 4.5
Bert - 3.5

That's not the end all, be all, but I don't think that's totally out of line for the impacts these guys are expected to make this season. I guess you could argue a little more should go Bert's way, but if he proves himself, he's set up to get a raise on a longer-term contract next year. And let's not forget it was he who filed for arbitration.

Larkin made $7M last year and makes $6.75M next year
Bert is underpaid.
holytoledo

jaster wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:55 pm I don't think Bert got screwed, at least not badly. Salaries for this season:

Larkin - 4.75
Mantha - 4.5
Bert - 3.5

Unless Bert gets hurt. I'd have much rather seen Bert get a 4x4 or something in that neighborhood. I think it's most likely to all work out though.