Off Topic - But Not Politics

Non hockey talk
CoconutBackwards

I'd rather romanticize the whole thing.

These guys knew what the risks were and decided going on this adventure was worth the risks.

I don't think they died in shock and anger.

Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady
Machine

Hey rich guys and their money, rockets, subs, Twitter…….
Someone was bound to die
I’m sorry for their families

Me if I had a billion dollars I would kmac it prepandemic style, bars, hookers, i mean ladies woohoo
Just a different way to die
Pop Zeus

hiramnicak

anyone read books? looking for something new to pick up.
Wizard of Corsica

hiramnicak wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:39 am anyone read books? looking for something new to pick up.
What are you in the market for? My tastes are a little all over the place.

I dabble in classics, and most recently re-read The Great Gatsby for the first time in high school, it is short, vivid and amazingly psychologically perceptive. It's totally wasted on high schoolers.

Princess Bride - William Goldman. Another favorite novel, hilarious. His Adventures in the Screen Trade is great nonfiction about Hollywood as well.

Popism - The Andy Warhol 60s - Andy warhol. Very dishy if you like 60s culture.

True Adventures of The Rolling Stones - Stanley Booth. About the 1969 tour and Brian Jones. Just awesome.

I am almost through the first volume of Edmund Morris' Theodore Roosevelt biography. I am not sure I will make it through all the books, but the guy's life if fricking amazing so far.
Last edited by Wizard of Corsica on Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
It was my understanding there would be no math in the debates.
Wizard of Corsica

Oh, and I'm also right now going to jog to the downtown branch of Chicago Public Library to pick up a book about the making of Caddyshack. Written by Chris Nashataway.

I will follow up with my review.
It was my understanding there would be no math in the debates.
JimIsJustPlainOld

Wizard of Corsica wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:11 am Oh, and I'm also right now going to jog to the downtown branch of Chicago Public Library to pick up a book about the making of Caddyshack. Written by Chris Nashataway.

I will follow up with my review.
Hey, Wiz. You want to read a really good Making Of book? See if you can get The Making Of Slap Shot. Can't recall who wrote it, but it is very good. At least I thought so.
JimIsJustPlainOld

Time to toot my own horn. Letting you all know I just moved up another year. Today, I turn 76. Some how, I don't feel any older than 75. But there are days when you just wish you could stay in bed. I guess when you've been living on one kidney for 23 yrs, no gall bladder, 4 hernia surgeries, open heart surgery because of Hypertrophic Cardiomyapathy, Atrial Fibrillation, Type 2 Diabetes, and who knows what else is around the corner, you get to complain sometimes. But, things could be worse. Lots of other folks in this country and world who have it much worse than me. I guess the Good Lord is watching over me somewhat. Plus, I have a fantastic wife of 54 yrs, 3 sons, 3 grandsons that make everything worthwhile. Now, on to 77.
WingFanInA2

JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:49 pm Time to toot my own horn. Letting you all know I just moved up another year. Today, I turn 76. Some how, I don't feel any older than 75. But there are days when you just wish you could stay in bed. I guess when you've been living on one kidney for 23 yrs, no gall bladder, 4 hernia surgeries, open heart surgery because of Hypertrophic Cardiomyapathy, Atrial Fibrillation, Type 2 Diabetes, and who knows what else is around the corner, you get to complain sometimes. But, things could be worse. Lots of other folks in this country and world who have it much worse than me. I guess the Good Lord is watching over me somewhat. Plus, I have a fantastic wife of 54 yrs, 3 sons, 3 grandsons that make everything worthwhile. Now, on to 77.
Happy birthday Jim! Glad to have you around here!
Machine

Happy birthday Jim