SG's machine learning project takes on the 2020 draft

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
dcz28

UND just cut this kid from their hockey program too. He will still be allowed to go to school there just not play hockey. No clue if he had a scholarship and what happens to that though.

Pop Zeus

dcz28 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:43 pm UND just cut this kid from their hockey program too. He will still be allowed to go to school there just not play hockey. No clue if he had a scholarship and what happens to that though.
Jesus.
I guess whatever the courts decide isn't justice anymore.
Now, you gotta keep paying your entire life.
Pop Zeus

jaster wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:19 am The new regime is in place in Arizona and we're like "lol, we drafted who? Yeah, no."

Yeah, I believe in second chances as well. In general. But they have to be under the right conditions, and they have to be earned. This kid hasn't earned shit.

Also, "second chance" doesn't make any sense here because he hasn't even been given a first chance. Teams can choose how to build their organizations however they want, they owe nothing to any player outside their system. This isn't really even a "second chance" situation. This kid isn't entitled to be a a pro player.

Lastly, I heard it said on I think maybe the Chiclets podcast (?) that people within the Coyotes organization admitted they did not, in fact, do their due diligence on this kid. They were lazy about it. I don't think they even interviewed him (maybe they weren't allowed to because of their penalties?).
Public pressure - and they wilted.
There are cowards all over society - especially in business.

This kid is 18. If I really made the mistake of drafting him, and really felt it was a mistake, I wouldn't renounce it. I would eat the criticism. My mistake. And then simply not sign the kid.
I would eat the heat.
Instead, these cowards in the Coyote organization just fucked the kid over.

The Coyotes cowardice made it easier for North Dakota to be cowards.
hiramnicak

I don't harbor any sympathy for Miller, but it's definitely a bad look for the Arizona Coyotes. I don't think they've got any face left to lose anymore. Even their issues have issues.

I think drafting him in the first place was a poor decision, but reneging on it after virtuously proclaiming they would fix him... it surprises me that they were seemingly caught off guard when people went nuts over the pick. I mean, even Arizona had Miller on their no draft list prior to the sanctions made against them.

It makes me wonder how much the NHL was involved in influencing the decision. It wouldn't be the first time the league involved themselves in team makeups (John Scott's All-Star fiasco a few years back comes to mind).
holytoledo

I really think it’s a shame that what this kid did as a 14 year old still has this much of an impact on him. I also don’t think he’s owned it or got in front of it in anyway, so maybe he really is a shitty person still that hasn’t learned a goddamn thing from all of this. If that’s the case, fuck him. A lot of bullies never learn until there an old fat washed up high school jock.
Pop Zeus

holytoledo wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:22 pm I really think it’s a shame that what this kid did as a 14 year old still has this much of an impact on him. I also don’t think he’s owned it or got in front of it in anyway, so maybe he really is a shitty person still that hasn’t learned a goddamn thing from all of this. If that’s the case, fuck him. A lot of bullies never learn until there an old fat washed up high school jock.
What are you supposed to do to "get in front of it?"
What satisfies the mob?
ANything he does would just look like fucking PR anyway.
holytoledo

Pop Zeus wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:41 pm
holytoledo wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:22 pm I really think it’s a shame that what this kid did as a 14 year old still has this much of an impact on him. I also don’t think he’s owned it or got in front of it in anyway, so maybe he really is a shitty person still that hasn’t learned a goddamn thing from all of this. If that’s the case, fuck him. A lot of bullies never learn until there an old fat washed up high school jock.
What satisfies the mob?
Maybe. That’s definitely how today’s culture rolls.
dcz28

Pop Zeus wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:41 pm
What satisfies the mob?
What he should have done is apologize back then or in the years before being drafted. Now anything he does won't seem genuine and that he's only doing it because of the shitstorm of the cancel culture and losing being drafted and playing at UND. Both teams came out and said they knew about it and would work with him to be a model citizen and whatnot...then both turned around and canned him from playing hockey for them. I feel bad for him losing everything but at the same time i don't. The least he could have done is apologize to the kid before now.

I can tell you one thing though, if i had done something that stupid as a kid, my dad would have whooped my ass and made me apologize for it and made sure i never do it again. I don't what his parents are like but it seems like they gave him a free pass for this behavior at home.
_sg_

holytoledo wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:24 am This kid is from Sylvania, OH, a Toledo suburb. If the Wings has drafted him in the 7th round and said he will start his pro career with the Walleye where he must first prove himself as a model citizen before we even worry about his on ice performance, I’d be ok with it.
I don't know if 'we knew everything and did it anyway, but we told him to play nice' is more defensible than 'we didn't do our due diligence'. I could see it being worse, who knows.

It might make the organization look more competent if it came to light they had a plan in place, I guess.

Honestly, part of me feels like AZ and UND dumping him is kind of ... lazy? Like yeah, arguably neither team should have taken him on, but now, yours to fix.
cska91

Fuck the Arizona Coyotes and fuck the UND. They didn't seem to be overly worried about Miller's past until it became public and he was made into some sort of pariah. Once it became public, it became bad for business, and they threw him out like trash. There are no heroes in this story.
"It doesn't mean shit."
Andrew Copp