OT: Other sports/music/news, etc

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
DelHowLich

holytoledo wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:23 pm
Wizard of Corsica wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:58 pm
JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:05 pm Actress Raquel Welch has died at 82 after brief illness.
I am so jealous you got to grow up in an era when Raquel Welch, Ann Margret and Brigitte Bardot were all in their prime. RIP.
Here’s something kinda wild…

After his acting career Tommy Rettig ended up having a very successful career in IT. He and I got to be pretty good friends and he was an important mentor to me. Anyway, this pic is from his acting days when he took Marilyn Monroe as his date to the premiere of a movie he was in.
You want something wild....My Great Uncle's name is on the Stanley Cup 5 times, all while he was with the Wings.

Wizard of Corsica

JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:05 pm Actress Raquel Welch has died at 82 after brief illness.
I am so jealous you got to grow up in an era when Raquel Welch, Ann Margret and Brigitte Bardot were all in their prime. RIP.

After his acting career Tommy Rettig ended up having a very successful career in IT. He and I got to be pretty good friends and he was an important mentor to me. Anyway, this pic is from his acting days when he took Marilyn Monroe as his date to the premiere of a movie he was in.
That is awesome. Wow. I would most certainly be tucking it under my belt there.
It was my understanding there would be no math in the debates.
holytoledo

DelHowLich wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:34 pm

You want something wild....My Great Uncle's name is on the Stanley Cup 5 times, all while he was with the Wings.
That is really cool.
JimIsJustPlainOld

Tommy Rettig was the original star of the tv series, Lassie, back in the early 50's. Used to watch that show all the time. Also did a few movie roles while he was a kid. One was the 5,000 Fingers Of Dr. T, a fantasy movie where Tommy played a child piano prodigy who ends up in a fantasy world of the mad doctor full of pianos and other kids. Kind of a cool movie for its time. Haven't seen it in years though.
JimIsJustPlainOld

That is super cool. Was he a player or part of the organization?
DelHowLich

JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:29 am

That is super cool. Was he a player or part of the organization?
Carl Mattson, long time trainer in their golden era.

https://hockeygods.com/images/18066-Car ... ry_Trainer
holytoledo

JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:26 am

Tommy Rettig was the original star of the tv series, Lassie, back in the early 50's. Used to watch that show all the time. Also did a few movie roles while he was a kid. One was the 5,000 Fingers Of Dr. T, a fantasy movie where Tommy played a child piano prodigy who ends up in a fantasy world of the mad doctor full of pianos and other kids. Kind of a cool movie for its time. Haven't seen it in years though.
Yep. On Lassie, the character he played was named Jeff Miller. In his IT company, his business partner was named Jeff Miller.
Duke

JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:26 am

I didn’t recognize him by name or from this photo, but I love the movie 5,000 Fingers Of Dr. T. For anyone who hasn’t seen it, I recommend checking it out. Maybe you like it, maybe you don’t… it was a complete flop at the time of release, but has since become a cult classic. It’s the only live-action, full-length feature film that Dr. Seuss ever wrote. People actually walked out of its premiere and it received such negative reviews at the time that Dr. Seuss basically disowned it. Tommy’s character despises playing the piano and suspects his mom has fallen under the influence of his piano teacher and that’s why he has to take lessons. When he enters into the dreamworld, his piano teacher is a madman who has his mom under a spell where she serves as his assistant and soon-to-be wife, and is kidnapping children to play a giant 500-person piano in his institute. Tommy’s character has to find a way to save his mom and stop Dr. T’s scheme.
Duke

I thought it was cool simply because he took Marilyn to his premiere, considering I’m a huge Marilyn fan. Even cooler now that it’s been pointed out he was the kid from 5,000 Fingers Of Dr. T.
JimIsJustPlainOld

Thanks, Duke. I thought I had the plot of the movie just about right. But it's been probably 40 yrs since I last seen it. I imagine TCM plays it once in awhile. I'd like to see it again.