GDT: Columbus @ Detroit, 7 p.m., Saturday

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
dcz28

GR wins 1-0 against Chicago. Ned with a 26 save shutout. Lone goal scored by Hanas with assists to Hirose and Edvinsson.

holytoledo

dcz28 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:19 pm
holytoledo wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:16 pm
dcz28 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:40 pm

Wings are still in a battle for a wild card spot which is about what i was expecting. Only 5 points from the Pens with 1 game in hand. At this point last season the wheels had already fallen off and they were pretty much out of it. They go on a winning streak for 6+ games and they could easily end up above the Islanders/Pens and on the Caps for the top wild card spot. It probably won't happen but they are still in it halfway through the season.

They aren’t in a battle. They’re 16 points out. They’re only a few spots ahead of where they were last year. I sure as hell hope that Yzerman isn’t entertaining and kind of run and starts selling ASAP.
They are currently 5 spots better than they finished last year, 20th vs 25th in the
16 points out? Where the hell did you get that from. They are 5 points from the Pens with a game in hand for the final wild card spot.
IDK. I wasn’t even stoned. They are bunched up with the bottom feeders now in the East. Only team I think the Wings are clearly better than in the group, despite tonight’s loss, is CBJ. Even then, not sure we have better young talent.
Pop Zeus

dcz28 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:40 pm

Wings are still in a battle for a wild card spot which is about what i was expecting. Only 5 points from the Pens with 1 game in hand. At this point last season the wheels had already fallen off and they were pretty much out of it. They go on a winning streak for 6+ games and they could easily end up above the Islanders/Pens and on the Caps for the top wild card spot. It probably won't happen but they are still in it halfway through the season.

They aren’t in a battle. They’re 16 points out. They’re only a few spots ahead of where they were last year. I sure as hell hope that Yzerman isn’t entertaining and kind of run and starts selling ASAP.
They are currently 5 spots better than they finished last year, 20th vs 25th in the
16 points out? Where the hell did you get that from. They are 5 points from the Pens with a game in hand for the final wild card spot.

Bro, that's a pretty pie-in-the-sky take.
After tonight, Detroit is 6 points out - behind the Islanders.
But here's Detroit's problem.
To catch the Islanders, they also have to catch Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Florida.
And they're now tied with Philly.
And Ottawa is just two points back.
dcz28

Pop Zeus wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:29 am

To catch the Islanders, they also have to catch Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Florida.
They are still in it. One decent win streak and they could vault up a couple of spots. Do i think they will make the playoffs? No and i thought they wouldn't at the start of the season...but i thought they could be fighting for a wildcard spot until late in the season and that could still be the case. All the teams fighting for wildcard spots have holes in their rosters or lack consistency.

Florida has played 3 more games and are only 1 point ahead of the Wings not exactly a big task to catch. Their defense and goaltending isn't good.
Buffalo is only 1 point ahead also.
Pens are still only 5 points ahead with the Wings having a game in hand on them since they also lost.
Islander are 6 points ahead of the Wings but the Wings have 3 games in hand on them.
Flyers are tied in points with the Wings but the Wings have 2 games in hand on them.

Wings are still in this wildcard fight and like i said, one decent winning streak could vault them up the standings over a couple of these teams. Can't see Yzerman selling off asap like some want to until closer to the deadline and the picture becomes clearer on where they are. Besides, contending team have little to no cap space for the most part so they likely will want to wait until the deadline to make moves and teams will have to get creative to make salaries fit.
Machine

Too inconsistent for a playoff spot
Was hopeful for messing around a wild card spot but those hopes are fading almost ready to join blue and sell off whatever we can
Pop Zeus

dcz28 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:13 am
Pop Zeus wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:29 am

They are still in it. One decent win streak and they could vault up a couple of spots. Do i think they will make the playoffs? No and i thought they wouldn't at the start of the season...but i thought they could be fighting for a wildcard spot until late in the season and that could still be the case. All the teams fighting for wildcard spots have holes in their rosters or lack consistency.

Florida has played 3 more games and are only 1 point ahead of the Wings not exactly a big task to catch. Their defense and goaltending isn't good.
Buffalo is only 1 point ahead also.
Pens are still only 5 points ahead with the Wings having a game in hand on them since they also lost.
Islander are 6 points ahead of the Wings but the Wings have 3 games in hand on them.
Flyers are tied in points with the Wings but the Wings have 2 games in hand on them.

Wings are still in this wildcard fight and like i said, one decent winning streak could vault them up the standings over a couple of these teams. Can't see Yzerman selling off asap like some want to until closer to the deadline and the picture becomes clearer on where they are. Besides, contending team have little to no cap space for the most part so they likely will want to wait until the deadline to make moves and teams will have to get creative to make salaries fit.

They're close enough for people people to pretend their in it.
That's it.
Yzerman isn't going to sell off ASAP unless there's a deal out there.

There are only 2 real decisions.
Bertuzzi.
Larkin.

Every other UFA is easy to move without a second thought.

Twp questions?
Can you win with Larkin as a #1C?
Will this team be a contender to win while Larkin is still young/good enough to be a 1C?

The answers are No, and I think we all know it.

Larkin has done a great job, pressed into a role that he wasn't really built for.

So let's cash out.
Take it on the chin for a couple more years.
And hit the draft hard.
holytoledo

You can with Dylan Larkin at a 1C if you put a great supporting cast around him that elevates his game. You cannot win with Dylan Larkin as a 1C when you ask him to elevate the game of every one around him, ask his line to take the toughest matchups and ask his line to carry the scoring. If we were rolling 3 strong scoring lines and a nasty 3rd/4th line it’d be another story.

… and if we had any LDs that belong in the top 4.
Pop Zeus

holytoledo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:05 am You can with Dylan Larkin at a 1C if you put a great supporting cast around him that elevates his game. You cannot win with Dylan Larkin as a 1C when you ask him to elevate the game of every one around him, ask his line to take the toughest matchups and ask his line to carry the scoring. If we were rolling 3 strong scoring lines and a nasty 3rd/4th line it’d be another story.

… and if we had any LDs that belong in the top 4.
Copp has been taking Dzone/top line matchups more than almost any center in hockey, says Lalonde.