Walman or Mattaa. Who should be brought back next yr?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
blueadams

I think Seider needs a new top-pair LHD partner. I don't think you want to thrust Edvinsson into that role. Defense next yext year to me looks like..

LD: ???, Edvinsson, Mattaa or Walman
RD: Seider, Hronek, Chiarot

Walman 26. Mattaa 28. Almost identical size (Walman 6'2 215, Mattaa 6'2 210). Walman a better skater. Mattaa probably a more reliable defender. Neither with much offensive upside. Mattaa will probably cost close to $3M/season. Walman will probably cost close to $2M/season. Could easily sign both to 2-3 deals and just carry 7 good defensemen...anticipating inevitable injuries. Wallinder can replace "???" after next yr when he's ready........ Buium, Johansson, Sebrango, Viro unfortunately are not looking like sure-thing NHL'ers at this point.

Thoughts?

DelHowLich

Both will be back unless traded, Chiarot stays on the left side.
Need a RD, maybe Stevie trades for Myers after he gets his signing bonus on 7-1-23, his cap will still be $6M but only $1M salary.
blueadams

DelHowLich wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:45 am Both will be back unless traded, Chiarot stays on the left side.
Need a RD, maybe Stevie trades for Myers after he gets his signing bonus on 7-1-23, his cap will still be $6M but only $1M salary.
LD: Edvinsson
LD: Chiarot
LD: Mattaa
LD: Walman

RD: Seider
RD: Hronek
RD: ???

So your plan is to keep the HORRIFIC Chiarot-Seider pair together? Or to introduce an inconsistent AHL player to the NHL on a top pair?

Good call, Scotty
Pop Zeus

I'd run:
Maatta-Seider
Chiarot-Hronek
Edvinsson-whoever
-
I'd consider resigning Pysyk to be that RD if he's healthy.
Other options are Gudas, Schenn, Holl
DelHowLich

blueadams wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:27 pm
DelHowLich wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:45 am Both will be back unless traded, Chiarot stays on the left side.
LD: Edvinsson
LD: Chiarot
LD: Mattaa
LD: Walman

RD: Seider
RD: Hronek
RD: ???

So your plan is to keep the HORRIFIC Chiarot-Seider pair together? Or to introduce an inconsistent AHL player to the NHL on a top pair?

Good call, Scotty
Nooooooooooo, never said that. :roll:
Chiarot can play either side in a pinch, but if your intentions is to trade him, then where and for what? It ain't happening til summer in this Cap-strapped season.
But I think Walman would be the easiest to trade, and Maata the easiest to re-sign, because Maata will probably accept another 1-yer deal with a modest raise where Walman probably would not. Walman would go to a fast team as he is an excellent skater.
Last edited by DelHowLich on Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Machine

Pop Zeus wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:44 pm I'd run:
Maatta-Seider
Chiarot-Hronek
Edvinsson-whoever
-
Still surprised they haven’t tried Maata with Seider
Seider needs to get going and Ben C isn’t the answer
blueadams

Pop Zeus wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:44 pm I'd run:
Maatta-Seider
Chiarot-Hronek
Edvinsson-whoever
-
Idk why you'd want to try Hronek with someone new when he's had success with Mattaa And Walman. Or what on earth possesses you to think that we should enter a non-intentional tanking season w Mattaa as a planned 1st pair D
dcz28

The problem with the Chiarot/Seider pair is that Chiarot is not playing a stay at home role on the pair like Maatta did/is doing for Hronek or (god forbid) DeKeyser did with Seider last season. Chiarot is playing like an offensive defenseman pinching, going deep into the offensive zone, joining the rush being aggressive leaving his position open. Seider is doing the same so they often get caught up with odd man rushes or out of position. They face the opponents top offensive players so when they get caught out of position, it is costing the team goals more often than not.

Putting Chiarot with Hronek would be even worst if he plays like he does with Seider. Coach needs to sit Chiarot down and tell him to play a stay at home role safer brand of hockey and i think he would be fine and complement his partner a lot better.
blueadams

Pretty wild that Walman's now playing on the 1st pair w Seider...and the 1st pk with Hronek...and the 2nd pp.

It'd be surprising to see him moved.

Chiarot playing 3rd pair minutes w Oesterle and 2nd pk. If Steve can find someone willing to take on his contract, I think he's given...not traded...away.

I like the edge he brings to the team. But how can a non-offensive defenseman in the NHL possibly be so dumb still? He's lost his spot to a guy on a 2-way contract
holytoledo

blueadams wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:03 am Pretty wild that Walman's now playing on the 1st pair w Seider...and the 1st pk with Hronek...and the 2nd pp.

It'd be surprising to see him moved.

Chiarot playing 3rd pair minutes w Oesterle and 2nd pk. If Steve can find someone willing to take on his contract, I think he's given...not traded...away.

I like the edge he brings to the team. But how can a non-offensive defenseman in the NHL possibly be so dumb still? He's lost his spot to a guy on a 2-way contract
Chiarot got Montreal a nice haul at the deadline last year. I think he had more value as an expiring UFA though. Given his contract and play this year, kinda doubt we’d find a taker. Wonder if we could make a hockey trade with Philly centered around Chiarot and Hayes.