Free Agency Wrap-Up

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
holytoledo

_sg_ wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:24 pm All the UFAs we ended up with have warts, and some contract details are less than ideal, but all in all, I'm pretty impressed Yzerman and team were able to get this done.

Seems like a couple of these guys could have gone elsewhere for a better chance at a cup, more stability, or more money. We have some good young players but are ultimately unproven and still have a ways to go, and they still signed on.

I (like others here apparently), generally view longer contracts as less attractive, but I thought Copp committing to that contract with this team was another positive sign.
The more I let this marinate, the more I like it. I could do without Kubalik and Psych, Kubalik could turn out to be a real asset - either on the roster or in trade and Psych can ride the line if he gets passed.

Berggren, Soderblom, Johansson, Edvinsson and Kasper are the keys to the future. Sebrango and Hanas look like really good finds as well. Mazur, Savage, Bulium, Wallinder, Vero and a few others are assets as well.

holytoledo

I also wonder if Chris I told Stevie that he needs to be more competitive and put butts in the seats. I would not blame him. The crowds at LCA are an embarrassment.
DocBrown

Really need elite 2C. Solves alot of problems and you can always move Copp to wing. He's a a less than optimal sunk cost but his flexibility gives Y options. Wingers need help and unless you are on Larkin's line it's going to be a struggle.
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
holytoledo

DocBrown wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:41 pm Really need elite 2C. Solves alot of problems and you can always move Copp to wing. He's a a less than optimal sunk cost but his flexibility gives Y options. Wingers need help and unless you are on Larkin's line it's going to be a struggle.
Larkin would be an elite 2C. Elite play down the middle is the shortest path to the cup, but it’s not the only one.
attica

my guess is that this has always likely been the plan give or take youth development. Keep drafting, try and get some studs (and it looks like at the very least raymond sieder and edvinsson will likely fit that), let a bunch of the kids get some icetime while you keep tanking. Then can the coach ,bring in a new one, flush out a real nhl team and start getting more competitive. MY eyes are on zadina rasmussen and veleno this year. with alot more depth in the center position and a more reliable d, and better coaching, can these guys turn it around some?
DocBrown

holytoledo wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:48 pm
DocBrown wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:41 pm Really need elite 2C. Solves alot of problems and you can always move Copp to wing. He's a a less than optimal sunk cost but his flexibility gives Y options. Wingers need help and unless you are on Larkin's line it's going to be a struggle.
Larkin would be an elite 2C. Elite play down the middle is the shortest path to the cup, but it’s not the only one.
Larkin notched his game up to another level last year and no one was even close. If he's 2C then there is no 3C. 4C or worse of that's possible.
holytoledo

DocBrown wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:14 am
holytoledo wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:48 pm
Larkin notched his game up to another level last year and no one was even close. If he's 2C then there is no 3C. 4C or worse of that's possible.
Larkin has a great year and can definitely handle the 1C role. He’s not elite there. He’s in the top 15-20 range. As a 2C, he’d be elite, in the top 5 in the league.
DocBrown

Yep I meant someone who didn't suck. Above mediocre. Someone not named Suter or Copp.
holytoledo

DocBrown wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:16 pm Yep I meant someone who didn't suck. Above mediocre. Someone not named Suter or Copp.
Sure, but just because our other Cs suck doesn’t make Larkin elite.
DelHowLich

Slapper wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:25 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:18 pm Now we have Perron and Kubalik.

Wings are either planning on trading Bert/Zadina/whoever
Or they are gonna let Zadina simply walk away.
Maybe they have no faith in Berggren.
Maybe Fabbri won’t be ready
Nah, they sign Klinger for 5 yrs at $6.75M and trade Hronek for a 1st