Boston fires Cassidy, hires Blashill?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
CoconutBackwards

hiramnicak wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:51 pm
CoconutBackwards wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:18 pm Pastrnak scored 40 goals this year.

We have nothing to offer them outside of our best players and draft picks on top.
i suspect you're right. there are going to be teams able and willing to give up a bigger haul than i would for him. we have the cap advantage of being able to extend him gratuitously immediately, but he doesn't have a full nmc, so that might not mean too much. i'd offer boston something like hronek + berggren + 2022 1st + 2023 2nd, and see if that starts a conversation, but that's a pretty lousy package for a top ten finisher. i wouldn't be willing to package any of larkin, raymond*, seider, or edvinsson. boston is going to be in full rebuild mode if bergeron retires and pastrnak see-ya-laters, so i doubt bertuzzi or vrana move the needle enough to make sense. i doubt zadina and rasmussen hold any trade value.

*i might do pastrnak for raymond straight-up, granted that pastrnak has some sort of verbal agreement to re-sign on arrival, but that's such an incremental move for the team that i don't see the need. pastrnak is certainly better than raymond at this point in time, but we'd still be a one-line team. anyway, i think part of the draw for pastrnak would be getting off the down elevator and getting on the up elevator.
If I was Boston and you offered me Raymond for Pastrnak straight up I'd immediately hang up on you.

Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady
hiramnicak

just fantasize with me.
this isn't real life.
at all.
this is pipe dream.
goodbye salary cap.
not worth crucifying.

avt: barzal = zadina + wallinder + 2022 1st + 2023 2nd
avt: pastrnak = hronek + berggren + 2023 1st + 2022 2nd
ufa: klingberg
ufa: zadorov
ufa: holtby
nhc: cassidy
8th: gauthier

bertuzzi - larkin - pastrnak
vrana - barzal - raymond
rasmussen - suter - veleno
sundqvist - fabbri - smith

zadorov - seider
edvinsson - klingberg
wallman - lindstrom

nedeljkovic
holtby
dcz28

holytoledo wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:14 pm Pastrnak makes no sense for where this team is at right now.

My gut tells me we are giving Edvinsson, Johansson, Berggren & Soderblom every chance to make the team next year and that we’re basically tanking one more year. Also, if either Larkin or Bert aren’t extended by the deadline I suspect they’ll be moved.

Don’t really wanna suck again next year, but breaking in all of those rookies and getting another top 5 pick is probably the right move for the long term.
Wings aren't getting a top 5 pick next season unless Larkin and/or Seider are injured for most of it. Would also need to hire a coach that is worst than Blashill. Unless those things happen, my guess is the Wings are picking out of the top 10. So if that is the case, Yzerman is better off filling the holes this team has at C and LD and making the team as competitive as possible. I also don't see Yzerman banking on those guys being NHL ready and not bringing in NHL players for those spots and see if any of those rookies can take spots from them.
dcz28

hiramnicak wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:57 pm just fantasize with me.
this isn't real life.
at all.
this is pipe dream.
goodbye salary cap.
not worth crucifying.

vrana - barzal - raymond

zadorov - seider
edvinsson - klingberg
wallman - lindstrom

nedeljkovic
holtby
Unless the Wings have another 1st round pick in 2022 that i don't know about, how are you drafting Gauthier at 8th when that pick was included in the Barzal trade?
holytoledo

dcz28 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:46 pm
holytoledo wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:14 pm Pastrnak makes no sense for where this team is at right now.

My gut tells me we are giving Edvinsson, Johansson, Berggren & Soderblom every chance to make the team next year and that we’re basically tanking one more year. Also, if either Larkin or Bert aren’t extended by the deadline I suspect they’ll be moved.

Don’t really wanna suck again next year, but breaking in all of those rookies and getting another top 5 pick is probably the right move for the long term.
Wings aren't getting a top 5 pick next season unless Larkin and/or Seider are injured for most of it. Would also need to hire a coach that is worst than Blashill. Unless those things happen, my guess is the Wings are picking out of the top 10. So if that is the case, Yzerman is better off filling the holes this team has at C and LD and making the team as competitive as possible. I also don't see Yzerman banking on those guys being NHL ready and not bringing in NHL players for those spots and see if any of those rookies can take spots from them.
IDK

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Raymond
Vrana - Suter - Berggren
Soderblom - Rasmussen - Sundquist
Fabbri - Veleno - Zadina
Smith

Edvinsson - Seider
Johansson - Hronek
Staal - Lindstrom
Oesterle

That D could really struggle and after the first line we’re still very weak down the middle.
hiramnicak

dcz28 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:51 pm
this isn't real life.
at all.
this is pipe dream.
goodbye salary cap.
not worth crucifying.

vrana - barzal - raymond

zadorov - seider
edvinsson - klingberg
wallman - lindstrom

nedeljkovic
holtby
Unless the Wings have another 1st round pick in 2022 that i don't know about, how are you drafting Gauthier at 8th when that pick was included in the Barzal trade?
eh i meant to trade the 2023 and 2024 picks. screwed that up.
dcz28

holytoledo wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:52 pm

IDK

Vrana - Suter - Berggren
Fabbri - Veleno - Zadina
Smith

Edvinsson - Seider
Johansson - Hronek
Staal - Lindstrom
Oesterle

That D could really struggle and after the first line we’re still very weak down the middle.
I have a hard time seeing both Johansson and Edvinsson making the team. That being said, how much worst could they possibly over DeKeyser playing top pair minutes? Or Leddy for that matter? If anything, they should at least be able to move the puck better than DeKeyser and might generate a bit more offense. Even if they struggle defensively, it's not like DeKeyser and Leddy were actually good defensively either.

The center position would still be weak just like this season was but a healthy Vrana sure could help a bit with some offense if he can keep up the pace he has had when he has played. Wings would have a bit more scoring depth than this season even without adding a 2nd line center.

The final thing is the coach. I've made it no secret of how bad i thought Blashill and his systems were so unless the next coach brings in equally bad systems, we should see some improvements with the team even if the pressing needs at C and LD aren't addressed with UFAs or trades and they just go with prospects.

Arizona is sure to be a bottom feeder again. Montreal, Seattle, Philly and Chicago too. The next tier of teams you have Devils, Buffalo, Ottawa, Ducks, Jackets, Sharks and the Wings. This tier could see some teams get better, stay the same or worst...hard to predict since most are young building teams aside from the Sharks. Then you have teams like Islanders, Jets, Vancouver and Vegas who could get better or get worst. The others look like they might be playoff teams but some might fall and have a bad season (or regress if they lose key players like Nashville with Forsberg or Boston without Bergeron). Boston might also start the season missing a bunch of key players and with a new coach who knows. So yeah i could see the Wings out of the top 10 draft even with that roster especially considering they finished 8th worst this season. I just think the time for the Wings getting top 5 picks is now over and if you have no shot at the top players in the draft, you might as well be as competitive as possible so the young players can learn to win and not be dejected by constant losing. I expect Yzerman to try and improve this roster this summer and not just wait on prospects to fill holes.
dcz28

hiramnicak wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:55 pm
dcz28 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:51 pm
this isn't real life.
at all.
this is pipe dream.
goodbye salary cap.
not worth crucifying.

vrana - barzal - raymond

zadorov - seider
edvinsson - klingberg
wallman - lindstrom

nedeljkovic
holtby
eh i meant to trade the 2023 and 2024 picks. screwed that up.
Ah ok. Add Sanheim to the top pair with Seider and Zadorov with Klingberg, Edvinsson with Lindstrom and i'm on board :lol:
holytoledo

dcz28 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:00 pm
holytoledo wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:52 pm

IDK

Vrana - Suter - Berggren
Fabbri - Veleno - Zadina
Smith

Edvinsson - Seider
Johansson - Hronek
Staal - Lindstrom
Oesterle

I have a hard time seeing both Johansson and Edvinsson making the team. That being said, how much worst could they possibly over DeKeyser playing top pair minutes? Or Leddy for that matter? If anything, they should at least be able to move the puck better than DeKeyser and might generate a bit more offense. Even if they struggle defensively, it's not like DeKeyser and Leddy were actually good defensively either.

The center position would still be weak just like this season was but a healthy Vrana sure could help a bit with some offense if he can keep up the pace he has had when he has played. Wings would have a bit more scoring depth than this season even without adding a 2nd line center.

The final thing is the coach. I've made it no secret of how bad i thought Blashill and his systems were so unless the next coach brings in equally bad systems, we should see some improvements with the team even if the pressing needs at C and LD aren't addressed with UFAs or trades and they just go with prospects.

Arizona is sure to be a bottom feeder again. Montreal, Seattle, Philly and Chicago too. The next tier of teams you have Devils, Buffalo, Ottawa, Ducks, Jackets, Sharks and the Wings. This tier could see some teams get better, stay the same or worst...hard to predict since most are young building teams aside from the Sharks. Then you have teams like Islanders, Jets, Vancouver and Vegas who could get better or get worst. The others look like they might be playoff teams but some might fall and have a bad season (or regress if they lose key players like Nashville with Forsberg or Boston without Bergeron). Boston might also start the season missing a bunch of key players and with a new coach who knows. So yeah i could see the Wings out of the top 10 draft even with that roster especially considering they finished 8th worst this season. I just think the time for the Wings getting top 5 picks is now over and if you have no shot at the top players in the draft, you might as well be as competitive as possible so the young players can learn to win and not be dejected by constant losing. I expect Yzerman to try and improve this roster this summer and not just wait on prospects to fill holes.
I’m totally fine going with that roster and seeing what happens. Just based on the teams you mentioned, I think there’s still a good chance they finish bottom 5. If they don’t, so be it. I don’t see an LD on the market I’d want more than Johansson on the team next year. If we can get Trocheck, Copp or some other actual 2C fine, but I don’t want another marginal placeholder there. Hell maybe #8 actually makes the team. Kasper is fairly close to ready.
JimIsJustPlainOld

I heard that Pastrnak was trying to get Krejci to come back to Boston, especially if Bergeron retires.