Look who’s getting a tryout with the Grifs

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Slapper

Look who’s getting a tryout with the Grifs

Post by Slapper »

Please don’t let it be a 2 way where he can come up to the Wings.

Resmo112

Re: Look who’s getting a tryout with the Grifs

Post by Resmo112 »

god, that has to be a bite to his ego
Bomber

Post by Bomber »

The Wings are paying him over a million dollars this year, he might as well do something for them.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

Must just be the Wings doing him a favor to give him somewhere to play and try and show if he can still play. Can't see Yzerman giving him a contract while he is still on the books for his buyout. Has that ever even happened before that a team buys out a player and later on signed him while the buyout is still on the books? I don't remember that ever happening.

I'm surprised Abby didn't end up in Edmonton after he was bought out...we all know how much Holland loves to recycle former players he has had, then again maybe this is somewhere to play to show Holland before he signs him to fix all the Oilers problems. McDavid can bounce pucks off of Abby just like Datsyuk did and Abby can pull the piano. Get everything ready for when Holland fires Tippett and hires Mike Babcock.
Resmo112

Post by Resmo112 »

dcz28 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:39 am Must just be the Wings doing him a favor to give him somewhere to play and try and show if he can still play. Can't see Yzerman giving him a contract while he is still on the books for his buyout. Has that ever even happened before that a team buys out a player and later on signed him while the buyout is still on the books? I don't remember that ever happening.

I'm surprised Abby didn't end up in Edmonton after he was bought out...we all know how much Holland loves to recycle former players he has had, then again maybe this is somewhere to play to show Holland before he signs him to fix all the Oilers problems. McDavid can bounce pucks off of Abby just like Datsyuk did and Abby can pull the piano. Get everything ready for when Holland fires Tippett and hires Mike Babcock.

I don't think you can? I may be off in thinking this but I'm pretty sure if you buy out a player they can't resign with you in the same season as the buyout
CoconutBackwards

Post by CoconutBackwards »

Oh God do I ever hope this loser doesn't somehow find himself back on the team.

Abdelkader SUCKS.
Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady
Slapper

Post by Slapper »

I was kidding about the wings bringing him up. There’s no way they would bring him up especially when they think he’s so bad they’ll pay him to not be part of the team.
Machine

Post by Machine »

Maybe Berggren is ready for the NHL and this is just a warm body lol
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

Resmo112 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:46 am
dcz28 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:39 am Must just be the Wings doing him a favor to give him somewhere to play and try and show if he can still play. Can't see Yzerman giving him a contract while he is still on the books for his buyout. Has that ever even happened before that a team buys out a player and later on signed him while the buyout is still on the books? I don't remember that ever happening.

I don't think you can? I may be off in thinking this but I'm pretty sure if you buy out a player they can't resign with you in the same season as the buyout
Yeah, a team can't just buyout a player and re-sign him to a cheaper deal right away but Abby was bought out in October of 2020. I assume the Wings could sign him now if they wanted to since it has been over a year since the buyout. Can't see that happening but by the rules, i think it is possible for them to sign him.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

Abby's from the west side.
He's just finishing where he started. Maybe working his way into coaching or something.