GDT: Game 3: Columbus @ Detroit, 7:30 p.m.

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
JimIsJustPlainOld

Re: GDT: Game 3: Columbus @ Detroit, 7:30 p.m.

Post by JimIsJustPlainOld »

Post game, Mickey Redmond talking about a bench clearing brawl when he played for Montreal vs Boston. Funny as hell, Keating, Rheaume, and Ozzy laughing away. I've seen that brawl, have it on tape. Great one.

WingFanInA2

Post by WingFanInA2 »

Slapper wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:10 pm
WingFanInA2 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:54 pm Okay, these boarding non calls are getting fucking ridiculous
Agree. But who would have predicted they’d earn 5 of first 6 available points? Maybe they falter, but they’re fun right now.
Dude, this isn't fun, this is awesome! But I am getting concerned about these hits, I don't like to play the ref card, but what is the NHL thinking? Are they trying to prevent concussions or not?

Now that said, this team looks completely different from the last two years... so far...but I'll take it for now!
WingFanInA2

Post by WingFanInA2 »

Pop Zeus wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:08 pm
Raymond's gotta protect himself a bit.
I won't argue that, he is a rookie too though....and running a player into the boards when you are staring at their numbers should be an easy call to make for the refs.
Slapper

Post by Slapper »

WingFanInA2 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:50 pm
Slapper wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:10 pm
WingFanInA2 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:54 pm Okay, these boarding non calls are getting fucking ridiculous
Agree. But who would have predicted they’d earn 5 of first 6 available points? Maybe they falter, but they’re fun right now.
Dude, this isn't fun, this is awesome! But I am getting concerned about these hits, I don't like to play the ref card, but what is the NHL thinking? Are they trying to prevent concussions or not?

Now that said, this team looks completely different from the last two years... so far...but I'll take it for now!
It does look different, it’s like a switch was flipped and all of a sudden they stand up for themselves. Was there someone in the org who’s now gone that was preventing that? Ha. Also the Ozone passing is so much improved. Couple times last night it seemed like there was one pass too many though.
winged wheel

Post by winged wheel »

The addition of a top pairing on D with Leddy/Seider has helped a lot.
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

winged wheel wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:10 pm The addition of a top pairing on D with Leddy/Seider has helped a lot.
Agreed. Our transition game has looked a lot better.

Who would have thought that a better roster would make Blashill look like a competent coach.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

WingFanInA2 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:52 pm
I won't argue that, he is a rookie too though....and running a player into the boards when you are staring at their numbers should be an easy call to make for the refs.
The problem is, then guys just face the boards because they know they can't be touched.
I don't think Raymond was hit that hard.
I don't think that play warranted a penalty.
Regardless, I like the way Bertuzzi responded.
Slapper

Post by Slapper »

Zattaman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:15 pm
winged wheel wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:10 pm The addition of a top pairing on D with Leddy/Seider has helped a lot.
Agreed. Our transition game has looked a lot better.

Who would have thought that a better roster would make Blashill look like a competent coach.
Not 98% of the people here. Pretty some felt he was the main problem.
WingFanInA2

Post by WingFanInA2 »

Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:37 pm
WingFanInA2 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:52 pm
The problem is, then guys just face the boards because they know they can't be touched.
I don't think Raymond was hit that hard.
I don't think that play warranted a penalty.
Regardless, I like the way Bertuzzi responded.
I hear you but I don't think that is what we are seeing. Sure, if a guy sees someone skating towards him, and turns to face the boards, then that is bullshit. But in this instance, Raymond's going for the puck. Should he be more aware? Probably. But that hit was pretty much text book boarding. I do think it deserves a penalty, especially with the league's emphasis to prevent head injuries. But they've always been inconsistent and vague on their enforcement so you really don't see a change in how players hit.

We may disagree on this, and that's fine, I know you have a different viewpoint, and you've been consistent. But I do agree I liked Bert's response.
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

I don’t think the hit warrants suspension. Should’ve been called on the ice. Not sure why referees aren’t making those calls when the puck is right there.