GDT: Game 1. Tampa Bay @ Detroit, 7:30 p.m.

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Barbrady

Re: GDT: Game 1. Tampa Bay @ Detroit, 7:30 p.m.

Post by Barbrady »

El Jefe wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:05 pm Tampa Bay 17, Detroit 14

To cap a sloppy game, a valiant 4th quarter game-tying drive by the local heroes is negated by Tampa Bay field goal as time expires. An honest effort from the hometown boys playing over their heads, but the better team prevails in the end.
Just about nailed it!

holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

Wizard of Corsica wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:41 am I fell asleep during parts when the wheels really came off, but Seider was having exactly the game I was hoping for and expected. Composed with a few offensive flashes, over and above the power play time. I think I saw him help paste somebody into the bench area.

Raymond looked OK, he showed flashes early but seemed to get lost in the shuffle after the Larkin kerfuffle. The lack of another legitimate Center at all became glaring at that point.
The Larkin match penalty decided the game. We have a lot
of options at C after him, no really good options, but it sure would’ve been nice to have Veleno in the lineup to slot in at C. With Suter having to bump up to 1C in that scenario Veleno is perhaps the best suited player in the org to slot in at 2C. Would’ve been a great chance for him to grab his hunk
of cheese.
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

holytoledo wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:45 pm
Wizard of Corsica wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:41 am I fell asleep during parts when the wheels really came off, but Seider was having exactly the game I was hoping for and expected. Composed with a few offensive flashes, over and above the power play time. I think I saw him help paste somebody into the bench area.

Raymond looked OK, he showed flashes early but seemed to get lost in the shuffle after the Larkin kerfuffle. The lack of another legitimate Center at all became glaring at that point.
of options at C after him, no really good options, but it sure would’ve been nice to have Veleno in the lineup to slot in at C. With Suter having to bump up to 1C in that scenario Veleno is perhaps the best suited player in the org to slot in at 2C. Would’ve been a great chance for him to grab his hunk
of cheese.
Fabbri took a number of face-offs and did very well.

Suter actually played well too. Really smart player who created chances and read plays well. His only issue was that he got destroyed in the face-off circle.

Match penalty decided the game because Stamkos scored two Hull-like one-timers on the PP.

I don't think Veleno would have had any impact on the outcome. We played well offensively and generated chances. It was the the PK, goalie-D miscommunication, and some poor coverage on D that cost us this game.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

holytoledo wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:45 pm

of cheese.
I think you're pretty well right about the Larkin penalty deciding the game. I'm just happy the team showed some spunk. As for Joseph, if he's going to make a hit like that, he shouldn't be surprised when the same shit happens to him. I didn't like either the initial hit, or the blindside, but what's fair for the goose is fair for the gander.
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

Larkin gets a 1-game suspension.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Zattaman wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:45 pm Larkin gets a 1-game suspension.
And that asshole that hit him got nothing. Paging Givani Smith...
winged wheel

Post by winged wheel »

El Jefe wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:03 pm
Zattaman wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:45 pm Larkin gets a 1-game suspension.
And that asshole that hit him got nothing. Paging Givani Smith...
Well they play Tampa at home on the holy revenge day of March 26.
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

benn takes larkin out for the season by crosschecking the back of his neck from above: no penalty. no fine. no suspension.

joseph boards larkin from behind, sending him headfirst into the boards and possibly re-injuring him: no penalty. no fine. no suspension.

larkin retaliates said boarding with a gloved punch in the face: one game suspension, which may or may not be inconsequential if larkin misses time nursing an injury.

what larkin did was pretty tame. i don't necessarily have a problem with his suspension, particularly in a vacuum where you evaluate his actions while you ignore what joseph did, but where's the consistency? what message is the league trying to send? that you can run players headfirst into the boards from behind, but you can't stand up for yourself? joseph didn't even get a penalty for this. his penalty was for roughing after the fact, i suppose for flailing beneath larkin.

this really shouldn't be rocket science. i bet you blashill's wife would do a better job assessing fines and suspensions.
WingFanInA2

Post by WingFanInA2 »

hiramnicak wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:06 pm benn takes larkin out for the season by crosschecking the back of his neck from above: no penalty. no fine. no suspension.

joseph boards larkin from behind, sending him headfirst into the boards and possibly re-injuring him: no penalty. no fine. no suspension.

larkin retaliates said boarding with a gloved punch in the face: one game suspension, which may or may not be inconsequential if larkin misses time nursing an injury.

what larkin did was pretty tame. i don't necessarily have a problem with his suspension, particularly in a vacuum where you evaluate his actions while you ignore what joseph did, but where's the consistency? what message is the league trying to send? that you can run players headfirst into the boards from behind, but you can't stand up for yourself? joseph didn't even get a penalty for this. his penalty was for roughing after the fact, i suppose for flailing beneath larkin.

this really shouldn't be rocket science. i bet you blashill's wife would do a better job assessing fines and suspensions.
Bullseye... and I would say the same thing if the situation was reversed.