GDT: Game 1. Tampa Bay @ Detroit, 7:30 p.m.

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
_sg_

Re: GDT: Game 1. Tampa Bay @ Detroit, 7:30 p.m.

Post by _sg_ »

I don't really think what Larkin did is okay, ever, but I also absolutely get it. It was also so absurd, it was kind of comical.

It's funny and disappointing that the NHL can't connect the dots here. What larkin did was basically in direct response to NHL's inaction, and they doubled down by not addressing the root cause. Hmm how best to deter players from taking out their own trash ohhh geee i don't know!?

The hit on Ras looked even worse to me.

Total speculation, but I wonder if the NHL feels like they don't really know how to address this. I'd say look no further than the NFL and CFB, who, on balance, have done a good job of removing hits on defenseless players from the game. a lot people were skeptical they'd be able to do that.

Also, I don't know if this is just me, but I feel like reffing has gone south ever since the Tim Peel thing last year. Maybe it's an indirect thing as I don't think you need to "get a call on someone" to make things work ... but I don't know. Maybe they're playing scared. They didn't really look very much in control of this game.

Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

I think the Palat hit on Rasmussen was probably worth of 5 minutes. At least 2.
The hit on Larkin was probably worth 2.

I think Larkin overreacted because it was his first game back from injury caused by a cheapshot.
And I'm totally fine with what he did. Might do the same.
But he should have just slashed the mother fucker in the back of the leg.
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

George Parros dropped the ball on this one.

I don't have a problem with Larkin getting suspended for a game. But, the fact that Palat and Joseph got off scot-free is just embarrassing. No review, no suspensions, not even a fine, despite all the messaging how they want to eliminate those types of plays from the game.

But, hey, that's one way to boost the ratings. Rivalries sure do create a lot of excitement for the fans, eh Gary?
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

_sg_ wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:41 pm I don't really think what Larkin did is okay, ever, but I also absolutely get it. It was also so absurd, it was kind of comical.

It's funny and disappointing that the NHL can't connect the dots here. What larkin did was basically in direct response to NHL's inaction, and they doubled down by not addressing the root cause. Hmm how best to deter players from taking out their own trash ohhh geee i don't know!?

The hit on Ras looked even worse to me.

Total speculation, but I wonder if the NHL feels like they don't really know how to address this. I'd say look no further than the NFL and CFB, who, on balance, have done a good job of removing hits on defenseless players from the game. a lot people were skeptical they'd be able to do that.

Also, I don't know if this is just me, but I feel like reffing has gone south ever since the Tim Peel thing last year. Maybe it's an indirect thing as I don't think you need to "get a call on someone" to make things work ... but I don't know. Maybe they're playing scared. They didn't really look very much in control of this game.
Absolutely nailed it!