2022 NHL Entry Draft

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
hiramnicak

Re: 2022 NHL Entry Draft

Post by hiramnicak »

dcz28 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:06 pm I've been looking at mock drafts and a lot of them have the Wings picking Nazar. Other name have been Yurov twice, Savoie and Lekkerimaki. By far most seem to have the Wings picking Nazar. Of course that doesn't mean anything come draft day. Wings could have a vastly different rankings than what most people have.
I haven’t kept count, but I feel like I’ve seen an equal-ish split between Nazar, Savoie, and Lekkerimäki. There’s also been the odd Cooley, Slafkovsky, Geekie, Snuggerud, Gauthier, and Lambert. Basically, it’s all over the place. I wouldn’t be surprised with any of Kasper, Östlund, or Bichsel either.

Resmo112

Post by Resmo112 »

hiramnicak wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:39 pm
dcz28 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:06 pm I've been looking at mock drafts and a lot of them have the Wings picking Nazar. Other name have been Yurov twice, Savoie and Lekkerimaki. By far most seem to have the Wings picking Nazar. Of course that doesn't mean anything come draft day. Wings could have a vastly different rankings than what most people have.
I haven’t kept count, but I feel like I’ve seen an equal-ish split between Nazar, Savoie, and Lekkerimäki. There’s also been the odd Cooley, Slafkovsky, Geekie, Snuggerud, Gauthier, and Lambert. Basically, it’s all over the place. I wouldn’t be surprised with any of Kasper, Östlund, or Bichsel either.
specifically this board has made me really interested in Kasper
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

recrutes' rankings are wild:

01 slafkovsky
02 wright
03 lekkerimaki
04 ostlund
05 cooley
06 jiricek
07 gauthier
08 ohgren
09 kemell
10 geekie
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

hiramnicak wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:07 pm recrutes' rankings are wild:

01 slafkovsky
02 wright
03 lekkerimaki
04 ostlund
05 cooley
06 jiricek
07 gauthier
08 ohgren
09 kemell
10 geekie
It was recrutes that made me look into Robert Thomas and see him as a legit top 10 talent.
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

Pop Zeus wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:35 pm
hiramnicak wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:07 pm recrutes' rankings are wild:

01 slafkovsky
02 wright
03 lekkerimaki
04 ostlund
05 cooley
06 jiricek
07 gauthier
08 ohgren
09 kemell
10 geekie
It was recrutes that made me look into Robert Thomas and see him as a legit top 10 talent.
i'm all for it, really. the most intriguing lists are the ones that turn everything upside-down because it takes a level of confidence and conviction to do that. these recrutes guys are really high on Lekkerimäki and Östlund. like, really high. i'm not as high on Lekkerimäki as they are. i've got Östlund tenth on my board now, which is way higher than most, but i see a ranking like this, and i wonder if he's not such a reach for us at eight. i think about who i'd compare the top centers to (at least as far as their playing style), and i feel he's getting overlooked.
wyrrlen

Post by wyrrlen »

I've really liked what I have seen of videos on Ostlund, and he sounds like he fits the mold for what the team is looking for in players in general. The hockey writers listed his strengths as:
Strengths
Playmaking
Vision
Skating
Puck handling
Hockey IQ
Work ethic
Plays with pace
Whenever I do a mock draft, those are exactly the items that I try to pick for in a "Thinking like the Stevie-wings" mock GM seat. I have two worries about picking Ostlund at 8 if he's there and Lekkerimaki is gone... first, that we might get a better scorer if we go with Nazar or Kasper in the spot, and second, his abilities to make his linemates better is limited by him playing with Zadina/Rasmussen talent rather than Larkin/Raymond pieces. Definitely wouldn't be unhappy if Yzerman calls his name, though.
Murmansk16A

Post by Murmansk16A »

Corey Pronman of the Athletic has the Wings taking Kasper:

8. Detroit Red Wings: Marco Kasper, C, Rogle-SHL

Detroit’s need for a center is well-documented and Kasper looks like a potential top two line center. Some may be surprised to see Kasper’s name this high, but he’s trending in this range with some teams and a strong World Championships is only helping that argument.

https://theathletic.com/3310759/2022/05 ... ed_article
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

Re-visiting the ostracized, there's a pretty good chance all three of the big Russian forwards are going to be on the board at eight. Should Yzerman and co. take any of them? How unreasonable would it be to draft any of them that high? Should we consider trading up for one if they're still on the board in the mid-twenties?

PLAYER NAMEBIRTHNATPOSSHOTHTWTVIDEO
EP Ivan Miroshnichenko2004-02-04RUSLWRight6'1"1851, 3g, H, FR, SS, W, T
EP Gleb Trikozov2004-08-12RUSC/RWRight6'1"1853g, H, W
EP Danila Yurov2003-12-22RUSC/RWLeft6'1"1791, 3g, H1, H2, H3, FR, SS, EP, SR, W, T

We're all aware of Miroshnichenko's medical condition, which coupled with politics has pushed his rankings down across the armchair scouting universe, but it sounds like there has been a significant lessening of concern around the league, per Pronman, who recently published the following:
Corey Pronman wrote:Miroshnichenko was present at the U18s and met with several NHL teams. Following those meetings, several NHL clubs are feeling more optimistic about the prospect of drafting him compared to a month or two ago ... Miroshnichenko was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma ... Miroshnichenko is in remission.
Miroshnichenko has been compared favorably to the likes of Ilya Kovalchuk and Alexander Mogilny. While I've questioned his toolbox in the past, I haven't seen him play nearly enough to stand by that assessment with conviction. Having re-watched scouting reports from Simon Servant and Wolf Hockey, I'm warming up to him as an option.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

_sg_

Post by _sg_ »

A new sleeper of interest for me is Marcus Nguyen: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/5 ... cus-nguyen

I think he was not ranked by any of the major services until smahtscouting ranked him at 84 a few days ago. @dathockeydoe on twitter has him ranked as the 14th best draft-eligible in the WHL though, which he posted a while back.