Wings not qualifying Svechnikov

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
winged wheel
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:01 pm
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Wings not qualifying Svechnikov

Post by winged wheel »



Pop Zeus
Posts: 1638
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:35 pm
Has thanked: 256 times
Been thanked: 397 times

Re: Wings not qualifying Svechnikov

Post by Pop Zeus »

Fuck.
Hey. Maybe we get more Bobby Ryan or Sam Gagner.
User avatar
cska91
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:10 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Wings not qualifying Svechnikov

Post by cska91 »

Does he now go back to the KHL or try to sign with the Canes? Can't imagine that he would want to play for Blashill, unless he has no other options.
"We got a blueprint of how to be better. We just didn't execute there." - Jeff Blashill
Barbrady
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:14 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 194 times

Re: Wings not qualifying Svechnikov

Post by Barbrady »

Bummer. C'est la vie.

Hope he gets an actual opportunity and proves this ass coaching staff wrong.
Duke
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:54 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Wings not qualifying Svechnikov

Post by Duke »

I found this quote from his agent interesting:

“…he’s had a lot of injuries. He could have gotten a new opportunity last season. He played hurt. It didn’t happen.”

Looks like he was playing hurt last year. Could explain all the “healthy” scratches. I like Svechnikov and have been pulling for him, but I can’t blame Steve for not wanting to give a raise to a player who can’t stay healthy. Maybe he re-signs a two-way deal later. Maybe he goes elsewhere. Good luck to him either way.
holytoledo
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:04 pm
Has thanked: 419 times
Been thanked: 295 times

Re: Wings not qualifying Svechnikov

Post by holytoledo »

cska91 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:41 pm Does he now go back to the KHL or try to sign with the Canes? Can't imagine that he would want to play for Blashill, unless he has no other options.
He's been waived enough times that if the Canes wanted him they could have claimed him and obviously we would've thrown his RFA rights into the Ned deal for the asking.
Machine
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:02 pm
Has thanked: 434 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Wings not qualifying Svechnikov

Post by Machine »

Blash wasn’t going to play him anyway
Wish him the best don’t know if he’ll get a better deal or not
User avatar
hiramnicak
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:30 pm
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 186 times

Re: Wings not qualifying Svechnikov

Post by hiramnicak »

holytoledo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:38 pm
cska91 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:41 pm Does he now go back to the KHL or try to sign with the Canes? Can't imagine that he would want to play for Blashill, unless he has no other options.
He's been waived enough times that if the Canes wanted him they could have claimed him and obviously we would've thrown his RFA rights into the Ned deal for the asking.
Not necessarily. If Carolina had picked him up when he was waived, they'd have had to put him on their starting lineup, exposing someone else to waivers. Easier to stomach signing him during the offseason and waiving him if it doesn't work out. Not saying they will pursue him, but I don't put too much stock into guys getting passed over on waivers, particularly this season.
holytoledo
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:04 pm
Has thanked: 419 times
Been thanked: 295 times

Re: Wings not qualifying Svechnikov

Post by holytoledo »

hiramnicak wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:16 pm
holytoledo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:38 pm
cska91 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:41 pm Does he now go back to the KHL or try to sign with the Canes? Can't imagine that he would want to play for Blashill, unless he has no other options.
He's been waived enough times that if the Canes wanted him they could have claimed him and obviously we would've thrown his RFA rights into the Ned deal for the asking.
Not necessarily. If Carolina had picked him up when he was waived, they'd have had to put him on their starting lineup, exposing someone else to waivers. Easier to stomach signing him during the offseason and waiving him if it doesn't work out. Not saying they will pursue him, but I don't put too much stock into guys getting passed over on waivers, particularly this season.
Sure, all valid, but if he doesn’t make their roster they still have to pass him through waivers. As bad as they got fleeced on Ned and as bad as that PR has been, I’d think if they were interested in their Chevy’s bro they’d have got him in that deal. To the causal fan getting a recent first round pick back in the deal would’ve made the optics way better and no one would know the Wings weren’t gonna quality him. Of course they can sign him for less this way too.
El Jefe
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:17 am
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 142 times

Re: Wings not qualifying Svechnikov

Post by El Jefe »

holytoledo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:54 pm
hiramnicak wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:16 pm
holytoledo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:38 pm

He's been waived enough times that if the Canes wanted him they could have claimed him and obviously we would've thrown his RFA rights into the Ned deal for the asking.
Not necessarily. If Carolina had picked him up when he was waived, they'd have had to put him on their starting lineup, exposing someone else to waivers. Easier to stomach signing him during the offseason and waiving him if it doesn't work out. Not saying they will pursue him, but I don't put too much stock into guys getting passed over on waivers, particularly this season.
Sure, all valid, but if he doesn’t make their roster they still have to pass him through waivers. As bad as they got fleeced on Ned and as bad as that PR has been, I’d think if they were interested in their Chevy’s bro they’d have got him in that deal. To the causal fan getting a recent first round pick back in the deal would’ve made the optics way better and no one would know the Wings weren’t gonna quality him. Of course they can sign him for less this way too.
I'm not sure that scenario works. One of the reasons being given for trading away Nedeljkovic (that guy needs a nickname so we can type something quickly on this board) was that the Canes have a strict internal budget approach, and that they will not pay players more than they think the player is worth. It sounds like the Carmax approach to selling used cars--one price, no negotiation. So if Nedeljkovic wanted more than the Canes were willing to pay, and it was enough to let him go, I don't see the Canes throwing Svechnikov in the trade, because they would have to qualify him. Under the scenario given for Nedeljkovic's trade, Bernier is more attractive for a trade because they can just walk away from him since he is a UFA. That's still risky and stupid from the Canes standpoint, but whatever. Maybe there is some intelligence that Bernier would sign the Canes for a certain price. But for Svechnikov, I don't see the Canes trading for someone they may not qualify at a price over their internal budget. If the Wings let Svechnikov go by not qualifying him, the Canes have more flexibility in acquiring Svechnikov, if I understand the rules correctly. And that's if they even want him.
Post Reply