Red Wings Prospect News & Highlights

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
holytoledo

Re: Red Wings Prospect News & Highlights

Post by holytoledo »

Pop Zeus wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:36 pm It's a nice bounceback year after a weird year for Hanas last year. But I'm not sure he's earned a contract yet.
The guy ahead of him is a year younger and was taken in the 7th round last year.
The guy tied with him is an 18-year-old ranked 205th among North Americans in the upcoming draft. (Pat Stefan's kid).

Among WHLers in their D+2 season Hanas ranks 13th in the league in scoring.
That doesn't scream NHL material.
Might be better to go sign the 5'10 kid with 57 points in 37 games.

There's a 6'3 forward undrafted forward/center named Ben King who has 28 goals and 49 points in 39 games.
Yeah, IDK if he’s worth a contract or not, but it’s hard to imagine letting a 2nd rounder just walk. We’ve got contracts to burn right now. I’d rather him end up another Frl/Parks in Toledo than break out somewhere else as long as we don’t need the contract.

Wizard of Corsica

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

A somewhat interesting write up by Bultman about the state of the D prospects, with quotes from Horcoff and some coaches. The main thing that stuck out to me is that he takes it as given Johanssen has a shot to make the opening night roster next season. In my mind he was not that far along. I guess I better try to catch a Färjestad game or 2 here soon:

https://theathletic.com/3081109/2022/01 ... ts-future/
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

Wizard of Corsica wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:28 pm A somewhat interesting write up by Bultman about the state of the D prospects, with quotes from Horcoff and some coaches. The main thing that stuck out to me is that he takes it as given Johanssen has a shot to make the opening night roster next season. In my mind he was not that far along. I guess I better try to catch a Färjestad game or 2 here soon:

Well if they are planning on Johanssen and maybe Edvinsson making the big club for next season, at least that might mean one or two of DeKeyser, Staal and Leddy won't be back unless they come cheap. Yzerman will still have vet depth though, that is just how he does things incase the young players are not ready to step in.
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

dcz28 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:54 pm
Wizard of Corsica wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:28 pm A somewhat interesting write up by Bultman about the state of the D prospects, with quotes from Horcoff and some coaches. The main thing that stuck out to me is that he takes it as given Johanssen has a shot to make the opening night roster next season. In my mind he was not that far along. I guess I better try to catch a Färjestad game or 2 here soon:

Well if they are planning on Johanssen and maybe Edvinsson making the big club for next season, at least that might mean one or two of DeKeyser, Staal and Leddy won't be back unless they come cheap. Yzerman will still have vet depth though, that is just how he does things incase the young players are not ready to step in.
We’ve got Oesterle signed who can play either side. I really like Lindstrom’s game as a bottom pairing guy. I’d guess we bring back Stahl and Edvinsson & Johansson will compete for a spot. Of course there’s room for a top 4 guy and Lindholm may be out there too.

Lindholm - Seider
Edvinsson/Johansson - Hronek
Stahl - Lindstrom
Oesterle

That looks great really for where this team is at, but if you don’t bring in a top 4 lefty than Stahl is playing beyond where he belongs at this stage or you’re relying on 2 rookies and and a sophomore in your top 4. Martinez would be another, cheaper option. Too, De Haan, maybe Ryan Murray and a few others are options. It’s hard to envision Johansson & Edvinsson both in the top 4.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

holytoledo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:06 pm

We’ve got Oesterle signed who can play either side. I really like Lindstrom’s game as a bottom pairing guy. I’d guess we bring back Stahl and Edvinsson & Johansson will compete for a spot. Of course there’s room for a top 4 guy and Lindholm may be out there too.

Lindholm - Seider
Stahl - Lindstrom
Oesterle

That looks great really for where this team is at, but if you don’t bring in a top 4 lefty than Stahl is playing beyond where he belongs at this stage or you’re relying on 2 rookies and and a sophomore in your top 4. Martinez would be another, cheaper option. Too, De Haan, maybe Ryan Murray and a few others are options. It’s hard to envision Johansson & Edvinsson both in the top 4.
Hard to think that both Edvinsson and Johanssen would make the team but if they both play well enough in camp it is possible. I'll be happy just to have guys that can skate better than Staal and DeKeyser on the left side and hopefully add some offense with it. If they add someone to be a top pair guy like Lindholm, it is also possible that someone like Johanssen could start on the 3rd pair with Lindstrom.

Lindholm would be nice but he likely will want money and term...question is will Yzerman be willing to give him term. Yzerman has been very stingy with term so far (which i like). I guess he learned from his mistakes in Tampa as he's not handing out NTCs like candy either. A nice change of pace from Holland who would hand out term, money and NTCs to players who weren't even part of the core.
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

dcz28 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:23 pm

Lindholm - Seider
Stahl - Lindstrom
Oesterle

Hard to think that both Edvinsson and Johanssen would make the team but if they both play well enough in camp it is possible. I'll be happy just to have guys that can skate better than Staal and DeKeyser on the left side and hopefully add some offense with it. If they add someone to be a top pair guy like Lindholm, it is also possible that someone like Johanssen could start on the 3rd pair with Lindstrom.

Lindholm would be nice but he likely will want money and term...question is will Yzerman be willing to give him term. Yzerman has been very stingy with term so far (which i like). I guess he learned from his mistakes in Tampa as he's not handing out NTCs like candy either. A nice change of pace from Holland who would hand out term, money and NTCs to players who weren't even part of the core.
Of course he’ll want term. He’s 28. If we can sign him for less than 7 years great, but I’d be Ok with 7 on the right deal. We are likely done with drafting NHL ready or near-ready prospects. We need an LD and a 1C/2C to round out our roster and start to compete. It’s time to look elsewhere than the draft for some of these pieces or else blow up the team and start over with Seider, Raymond, Edvinsson & Cossa. A 28 year old D would fit well with our current core.

Stevie hasn’t given out term or $ in the UFA market because he was only signing guys that were not worth either.

Sign Lindholm & Hertl and let’s roll.

Vrana - Hertl - Namestnikov
Raymond - Larkin - Bert
Fabbri - Suter - Zadina
Smith - Rasmussen - Veleno

Lindholm - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
Johansson - Lindstrom
Oesterle

Ned

I’m good with that. We’d still have a decent crop of prospects too.

Definitely a playoff team, if not in year 1, by year 2. Could upgrade a few of those forwards though, either internally or externally.
Fil Zaronek

Post by Fil Zaronek »

holytoledo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:09 pm

Lindholm - Seider
Stahl - Lindstrom
Oesterle

Of course he’ll want term. He’s 28. If we can sign him for less than 7 years great, but I’d be Ok with 7 on the right deal. We are likely done with drafting NHL ready or near-ready prospects. We need an LD and a 1C/2C to round out our roster and start to compete. It’s time to look elsewhere than the draft for some of these pieces or else blow up the team and start over with Seider, Raymond, Edvinsson & Cossa. A 28 year old D would fit well with our current core.

Stevie hasn’t given out term or $ in the UFA market because he was only signing guys that were not worth either.

Raymond - Larkin - Bert
Fabbri - Suter - Zadina

Lindholm - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
Johansson - Lindstrom
Oesterle

Ned

Definitely a playoff team, if not in year 1, by year 2. Could upgrade a few of those forwards though, either internally or externally.
Domi scheduled to become UFA. If we can get either Hertl or Domi, I think we should be able to compete for a playoff spot. I think Berggy will be on the team next year and I wouldn't be shocked if Soderblom cracks the lineup
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

Lindholm - Seider
Stahl - Lindstrom
Oesterle

Raymond - Larkin - Bert
Fabbri - Suter - Zadina

Lindholm - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
Johansson - Lindstrom
Oesterle

Ned

I would be fine with signing Hertl and Lindholm but they also need to want to sign with Detroit. Kadri is another option but he is 31 and having a career year (by a lot) in the last year of a contract...he is going to be way overpaid when he goes back to his career average next season. Trocheck could be a similar option to Hertl or plan B i guess. Not sure i would want Domi. Montreal got rid of him because he couldn't be their #2 center and wanted too much money.
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

Fil Zaronek wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:30 pm

Raymond - Larkin - Bert
Fabbri - Suter - Zadina

Lindholm - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
Johansson - Lindstrom
Oesterle

Ned

Domi scheduled to become UFA. If we can get either Hertl or Domi, I think we should be able to compete for a playoff spot. I think Berggy will be on the team next year and I wouldn't be shocked if Soderblom cracks the lineup
Yeah, Berggren will be up. That probably means we don’t need Namestnikov, but I think Soderblom is in the A if he comes over.

I don’t Domi is a 2C on a contender. Trocheck, Strome or even Kadri would be better options.
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

dcz28 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:46 pm

Raymond - Larkin - Bert
Fabbri - Suter - Zadina

Lindholm - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
Johansson - Lindstrom
Oesterle

Ned

I would be fine with signing Hertl and Lindholm but they also need to want to sign with Detroit. Kadri is another option but he is 31 and having a career year (by a lot) in the last year of a contract...he is going to be way overpaid when he goes back to his career average next season. Trocheck could be a similar option to Hertl or plan B i guess. Not sure i would want Domi. Montreal got rid of him because he couldn't be their #2 center and wanted too much money.
LOL - completely agree. I’d give Kadri a shot on the right deal though.

If Steve Yzerman can’t recruit UFAs to Detroit then he isn’t worth much.