Red Wings Prospect News & Highlights

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
DocBrown

Re: Red Wings Prospect News & Highlights

Post by DocBrown »

..... Such a constant ray of sunshine. 🌞🌞🌞

1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

Murmansk16A wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:24 pm The Athletic's Corey Pronman has put out his best players under 23 list. Two Red Wings in the top 10, others further down the list.

1. Andrei Svechnikov 2. Jack Hughes 3. Lucas Raymond 4. Trevor Zegras 5. Quinn Hughes 6. Moritz Seider 7. Rasmus Dahlin 8. Owen Power 9. Miro Heiskanen 10. Brady Tkachuk

Simon Edvinsson at #40.

Jesper Walstedt at #47, Askarov at #103, Sebastion Cossa #124

Zadina #112, Rasmussen #113, Veleno #116, Berggren #126.

List has a total of 160 players on it.

https://theathletic.com/3060357/2022/01 ... ign=601983
Way too early to assess the 2021 draft, but after Edvinsson, neither the picks nor the trades we made are looking too hot.

The only player we have on the list not drafted in the first round is Berggren. There are around 45 picks on the list taken in the 2nd round or later and for all the “draft capital” we’ve had over the last several years, we’ve got basically one pick outside of the 1st to show for it. Not saying this list is all that but outside of Berggren, Edvinsson and Cossa we really don’t have anyone that is much to get excited about that’s not already in the NHL.
DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

Shai Buium already a bust?
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

DocBrown wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:49 pm Shai Buium already a bust?
I think it’s way too early to look too deep into the 2021 draft. I wasn’t a big fan of that pick but it grew on me. Would have rather not made a deal and taken Raty, Dach, Chayka, Doan or several others, but we’ll see. Not really concerned about Cossa either, but still not really a fan of that deal either. I’d rather have made our 2nd round picks than have Leddy or the trade up.

I think the Tuomisto pick sucked too. I’d have taken Lavoie though and he might never amount to shit. I like the 2019 draft after that pick a lot though. I think we did well with all of our top 6 picks in 2020 and that we have players there that will pass guys on this list.
DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

Tuomisto's numbers are behind that of Buium. I haven't seen either play but probably not a good sign that the newest guy is out pointing you. I did get to watch Wallinder the other day ('20 draft) vs Frolunda in the Champions tournament and he logged alot of minutes and played well to my eyes. There is something about that large ice sheet though that's gonna hide problems with speed/quickness and decision making. There is alot of time and space out there. So when Soderblom and Wallinder get here we may see downside to their considerable size. No concern about that with Edvinsson though.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

DocBrown wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:36 pm ..... Such a constant ray of sunshine. 🌞🌞🌞
Blop.
Oh well.

I watch the games.
He's nowhere near as effective as his points indicate.
I've got a feeling Pronman doesn't watch the games.
I don't see how anyone who watches Red Wings hockey would rank Raymond over Seider.
Resmo112

Post by Resmo112 »

Pop Zeus wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:18 am
DocBrown wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:36 pm ..... Such a constant ray of sunshine. 🌞🌞🌞
Blop.
Oh well.

I watch the games.
I don't see how anyone who watches Red Wings hockey would rank Raymond over Seider.
I highly doubt Pronman is making this list based on just looking at points and blindly placing rankings on these people. I forget how you're a prime example of the dunning krueger effect.
puckstopper92

Post by puckstopper92 »

Resmo112 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:00 am
Blop.
Oh well.

I watch the games.
I highly doubt Pronman is making this list based on just looking at points and blindly placing rankings on these people. I forget how you're a prime example of the dunning krueger effect.
I'm sure Pronman watches games, but it's literally impossible to watch every game involving the players he's ranking. So maybe he's caught a few Wings games to see Seider and Raymond. Depending on the games, Raymond could've looked better. But I agree that Seider has definitely had a better season than Raymond at this point. Seider seems like someone who is effective in all situations regardless of who he's paired with. Meanwhile, I don't think you can put Raymond on any line for it to become a top line. Plus, I feel like Raymond has more nights where he's invisible. Still very excited about both guys, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they become in another 2 or 3 years, but I think Seider has the edge so far.
Resmo112

Post by Resmo112 »

puckstopper92 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:21 am
Resmo112 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:00 am

Blop.
Oh well.

I watch the games.
I'm sure Pronman watches games, but it's literally impossible to watch every game involving the players he's ranking. So maybe he's caught a few Wings games to see Seider and Raymond. Depending on the games, Raymond could've looked better. But I agree that Seider has definitely had a better season than Raymond at this point. Seider seems like someone who is effective in all situations regardless of who he's paired with. Meanwhile, I don't think you can put Raymond on any line for it to become a top line. Plus, I feel like Raymond has more nights where he's invisible. Still very excited about both guys, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they become in another 2 or 3 years, but I think Seider has the edge so far.
it is impossible to watch every game, and he's probably just watching their highlights and film and what not, regardless, Raymond is an exciting player. When Vrana comes back this team could look VERY different offensively and that's exciting. Do you move Raymond down a line and put Vrana with BErt and Larkin? Do you keep that top unit together? Zadina and Vrana had some serious chemistry last year so do you have them centered by Suter? I don't know.
DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

It's important to keep tabs on RayRay's lucky points because we know it's a phenomena known only to him. No other scorer in the NHL gets those....must be something he learned at Frolunda. And when you take away all his lucky assists you might have one or two that are legit and all your are left with are the goals. And half of those, at least, are lucky and not deserved. I can't think of any other goal scorer that gets lucky goals. Maybe, if Wings are fortunate, they could get a later round pick if they act now and deal him while his lucky stock is as high as it is. At 19 his development is done but maybe someone will take a flyer on him.