Red Wings Prospect News & Highlights

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
winged wheel

Re: Red Wings Prospect News & Highlights

Post by winged wheel »

Found a translation of the Swedish Aftonbladet article about Berggren's adventure on reddit.
The AHL Swedes silly mistake - Drove to the wrong state.

Jonatan Berggren: Like in "Dumb & Dumber"

The "correct" city but the wrong state.

Detroit Forward Jonatan Bergren on his journey towards AHL was everything but dead straight.

-There is only one Grand Rapids in the USA I thought to myself says the 21 year old.

The NHL clubs have trimmed their rosters for the NHL premier, which means many of the Swedes have to start their season in the AHL.

The new Detroit forward Jonatan Berggren, 21, who got his breakthrough in Skellefteå AIK this past season is one of them. But the journey to the Detroit affiliate in Grand Rapids thats west of Detroit in the state of Michigan was everything but dead straight

Berggren tells the story that he packed the rental car with his Girlfriend Tilde before they rolling...south bound. -She Told me, just enter the arenas address in the GPS but I was tired so didn't want to search for it. I told her, Lets just write Grand Rapids, and then we can search for it when we arrive.

-It said Grand Rapids, OH and I thought I had never heard that before but what the hell surely there is only one Grand Rapids in the United States i thought to myself. It was also about 2 hours away from Detroit and I had been previously told that's about how long it would take to get there.

"When's the city?"

The next two hours floated by without any issues, although Berggren describes American traffic as going by "the law of the jungle".

-It felt damn good when we were only 20 minutes away, but still odd in a way. I had read about Grand Rapids and how it was fairly big. But this looks like a village, where is the city? When we finally rolled into Grand Rapids we were met by farmers. We looked it up and there is only about 700 people living in this little village Berggren tells us while laughing.

Finally when he wrote in the name of the Arena in the GPS he realized his mistake. -It says three hours away, no this has to be wrong i thought to myself, Ill search for it again and thats when i realized. No..... no, no, no. The girlfriend wasn't too pleased with that but we did finally arrive. What was supposed to be 2 hours of travel time ended up as 5 instead.

What did she say? -You should have let me drive was the first thing she said. It felt a bit like that movie dumb & dumber, in the moment it felt really tough. But when we finally arrived we could laugh about it. The teammates have been having fun with it. It became a good story at least Berggren tells us who fortunately had the whole day off.

Is it unexpected that this happens to you?

If you ask the people I've played with they'd probably that's typical for me, but honestly it's stuff that happens.

Berggren flew over to Detroit on the last of August and made a good impression during preseason even if an injury ended up complicating things for him. -During the second prospect game we played against St. Louis. But you can't really call it hockey, they said it was like an MMA fight out there. I got a shoulder Injury which kept me away from playing for almost two and a half weeks. It was a little frustrating but you can't really do anything about it.

What does Detroit management tell you about how close you are to getting a chance in the NHL?

They said they were very pleased up until the injury but after that i couldn't play much. So i had to come here. Frustrating because of course you always want to play in the NHL, but if you think further ahead this can end up being one of the best possible things to happen. I get to develop in peace and quiet and learn the game here. I have the confidence offensively, where i feel i'll do well in the NHL. It's more about the structure of play, balancing the play and improving defense. That's probably what ill learn here, while also building myself up and getting stronger. This is gonna go like clockwork.

Detroit Red Wings are facing reigning Stanley Cup Champions Tampa Bay Lightning the night towards friday. AHL Team Grand Rapid Griffins play their opener the day after

winged wheel

Post by winged wheel »

Murmansk16A

Post by Murmansk16A »

Murmansk16A

Post by Murmansk16A »

Murmansk16A

Post by Murmansk16A »

Two assists so far for Tyutyayev.

winged wheel

Post by winged wheel »

winged wheel

Post by winged wheel »

Murmansk16A

Post by Murmansk16A »

IcehockeyGifs
@IcehockeyG
Mikael Ström, GM of FHC Jrs., compares Simon Edvinsson's development to that of previous FHC talents Erik Karlsson, Rasmus Dahlin & John Klingberg:

"At the same ages, the other 3 did not get as much responsibility on the pro team as Simon is getting."
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

Soderblom scores his fifth.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

Murmansk16A wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:12 am IcehockeyGifs
@IcehockeyG
Mikael Ström, GM of FHC Jrs., compares Simon Edvinsson's development to that of previous FHC talents Erik Karlsson, Rasmus Dahlin & John Klingberg:

"At the same ages, the other 3 did not get as much responsibility on the pro team as Simon is getting."
Wasn't Dahlin in Buffalo?