NHL 2021-22 Season News

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Wizard of Corsica

Re: NHL 2021-22 Season News

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

holytoledo wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:20 am
Wizard of Corsica wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:55 am
holytoledo wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:06 am

Byfield was the #2 overall pick in a much better draft class. Edvinsson looks like he is going to be very good. We need an elite 1C more than we need two #1 defenseman. Edvinsson is our #1 D prospect, but we have other prospects for top 4 LD and D are easier to acquire. Byfield projects as elite at our #1 position of need. I’d deal Edvinsson for him without hesitation. He’d likely be our 2C right now. We can extend Leddy to be our #2 for probably the next 4-5 years. As things stand right now we don’t have a projected 1C for the next 4+ years unless we got really lucky with a pick or we get lucky in the lottery.
. . . or they trade for one, or sign a free agent in his prime, out of the box. Or offer an outrageous contract to an RFA, a la Carolina.

Seeing as the Wings' cap situation is pretty good, they don't have to draft an 18 year old and wait around.

It's nobody's fault, but Byfield is going to be out a long time with an injury. Sucks for the kid, but hopefully he gets back to where he was trending soon.
Well, I am suggesting they trade for one. :) It’ll cost and if we’re gonna get a true 1C in return it’ll cost assets that obviously we value highly. An RFA is going to cost us more than I’m proposing here and 1C UFAs in their primes are super rare. I think we have the pieces in place now where we would be an attractive landing place for one though.
I'm sorry my ad blocking software prevents me seeing trade proposals that involve Golden God prospects.

holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

Wizard of Corsica wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:55 am
Wizard of Corsica wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:55 am

. . . or they trade for one, or sign a free agent in his prime, out of the box. Or offer an outrageous contract to an RFA, a la Carolina.

Seeing as the Wings' cap situation is pretty good, they don't have to draft an 18 year old and wait around.

It's nobody's fault, but Byfield is going to be out a long time with an injury. Sucks for the kid, but hopefully he gets back to where he was trending soon.
Well, I am suggesting they trade for one. :) It’ll cost and if we’re gonna get a true 1C in return it’ll cost assets that obviously we value highly. An RFA is going to cost us more than I’m proposing here and 1C UFAs in their primes are super rare. I think we have the pieces in place now where we would be an attractive landing place for one though.
I'm sorry my ad blocking software prevents me seeing trade proposals that involve Golden God prospects.
Yeah, I get it, but if we want a Golden God in return, that’s likely what it takes. I don’t see something like Ras + Zadina returning a Zegras or a Byfield, nor do I see that kind of return for a couple of firsts likely to fall between 7 & 15. I think our window for getting a top 5 pick is rapidly closing. Maybe some team that’s all in at the deadline - let’s say the Caps - would part with someone like McMichael at the deadline for Leddy, but i’m not so sure he projects as a 1C. Our options are either surrender assets to fill needs or hope to be extremely lucky in free agency or the draft. Given Stevie’s track record, I think a trade is the most likely route.

I think Dylan Larkin could be an option under the right circumstances too.
Wizard of Corsica

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

holytoledo wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:38 pm

Yeah, I get it, but if we want a Golden God in return, that’s likely what it takes. I don’t see something like Ras + Zadina returning a Zegras or a Byfield, nor do I see that kind of return for a couple of firsts likely to fall between 7 & 15. I think our window for getting a top 5 pick is rapidly closing. Maybe some team that’s all in at the deadline - let’s say the Caps - would part with someone like McMichael at the deadline for Leddy, but i’m not so sure he projects as a 1C. Our options are either surrender assets to fill needs or hope to be extremely lucky in free agency or the draft. Given Stevie’s track record, I think a trade is the most likely route.

I’d trade Larkin before Edvinnson, absolutely based on their ages and Stevies hit rate on first round picks so far. It won’t require either to get it done though. Bertuzzi + could get turned into a high pick, if that’s what you have your heart set on.
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

Wizard of Corsica wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:30 pm
holytoledo wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:38 pm

I’d trade Larkin before Edvinnson, absolutely based on their ages and Stevies hit rate on first round picks so far. It won’t require either to get it done though. Bertuzzi + could get turned into a high pick, if that’s what you have your heart set on.
I want an elite 1C - a recent top 3 pick or a guy like Zegras who probably went too low. Someone in the right age range for our team. I don’t think Bert + returns that. Larkin + Bert maybe is in the ballpark for the absolutely right team, but that doesn’t even land Eichel - and even if it did I’d be hesitant to make that trade. I don’t think we have anyone that’s untouchable. Seider & Raymond are the 2 closest players we have to that in the org.

Bert’s vax status probably makes him pretty close to untradable too.
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

Mantha is out indefinitely after a shoulder surgery. He got injured in last night's game against Florida.

Related news: Ovi has 10 goals in 10 games and is only 1 goal away from tying Brett Hull.
DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

News on Eklund, who we had an eye on during the draft...... From TheScore. His stats don't look bad but maybe being very young still, he should not be in the NHL at the moment. I didn't get the opportunity to see him play.....

The San Jose Sharks re-assigned forward William Eklund to Djurgardens IF of the Swedish Hockey League, the team announced Friday.

Eklund skated in nine games with the Sharks to begin the season, collecting four assists. San Jose selected the 19-year-old with the seventh overall pick in the 2021 NHL Draft.

"This was one of the toughest decisions we have had to make," general manager Doug Wilson said. "William's tremendous skill and vision have been evident since his participation in our rookie tournament in September. In his nine NHL games as a teenager, he has shown that he is going to be a special player in this league, but ultimately, we feel it is in the best interest of his long-term development to return to Sweden and continue to work on becoming the dominant player we know he can be."
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

DocBrown wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:04 pm News on Eklund, who we had an eye on during the draft...... From TheScore. His stats don't look bad but maybe being very young still, he should not be in the NHL at the moment. I didn't get the opportunity to see him play.....

The San Jose Sharks re-assigned forward William Eklund to Djurgardens IF of the Swedish Hockey League, the team announced Friday.

Eklund skated in nine games with the Sharks to begin the season, collecting four assists. San Jose selected the 19-year-old with the seventh overall pick in the 2021 NHL Draft.

"This was one of the toughest decisions we have had to make," general manager Doug Wilson said. "William's tremendous skill and vision have been evident since his participation in our rookie tournament in September. In his nine NHL games as a teenager, he has shown that he is going to be a special player in this league, but ultimately, we feel it is in the best interest of his long-term development to return to Sweden and continue to work on becoming the dominant player we know he can be."
it'll be interesting to see who Djurgardens demotes. Lekkerimaki just got called up, but in the game i caught yesterday, i thought he and Ohgren played quite a bit better than Ohstlund. the latter is generally considered the better prospect, but his skating looked really weak in yesterday's game, like brutally got burned a couple times to his team's dismay. Lekkerimaki barely played though, and like i said, he's the most recent call-up. anyway, Eklund is going to get one of them sent back to juniors.
JimIsJustPlainOld

Post by JimIsJustPlainOld »

Chicago Blackhawks fire coach Jeremy Colliton, name Derek King as interim coach.
wings8

Post by wings8 »

JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:05 pm Chicago Blackhawks fire coach Jeremy Colliton, name Derek King as interim coach.
That was quick.
OTOH RW still keep Blash :roll: :roll: :roll:
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

wings8 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:52 pm
JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:05 pm Chicago Blackhawks fire coach Jeremy Colliton, name Derek King as interim coach.
That was quick.
OTOH RW still keep Blash :roll: :roll: :roll:
Thanks to Blashill we have Raymond and Seider.