NHL 2021-22 Season News

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Fil Zaronek

Re: NHL Off-Season News

Post by Fil Zaronek »

Pop Zeus wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:35 pm Pelech is a pretty good defenseman who plays both ways.
Hronek produces more, but I doubt there's a GM in the league who takes Hronek over Pelech.
I bet Stevie keeps the deal with Hronek short and cheap.
I would bet that if any NHL gm was offered Hronek for Pelech that they would be all over it.
Pelech is older than Hronek and the advanced stats mught make his defence look better but he was on a much better team.
You're so fucking out to lunch with some of the things you say.

Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

Fil Zaronek wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:25 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:35 pm Pelech is a pretty good defenseman who plays both ways.
Hronek produces more, but I doubt there's a GM in the league who takes Hronek over Pelech.
I bet Stevie keeps the deal with Hronek short and cheap.
I would bet that if any NHL gm was offered Hronek for Pelech that they would be all over it.
Pelech is older than Hronek and the advanced stats mught make his defence look better but he was on a much better team.
You're so fucking out to lunch with some of the things you say.
I'm not talking about advanced stats.
I'm talking about the kind of defenseman you can count on to play big minutes in a close playoff game.
Nick Leddy scored points for Pelech's team. They were happy to dump Leddy and keep Pelech.
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

Since there is nothing else going on, how about those comments by Pettersson?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/re ... s-winning/
I want to stay (in Vancouver) now, but I also want to play for a team that's winning and has the chance to go far into the playoffs every year," Pettersson said in Swedish as translated by Bodin.

"I feel like we've got a chance to do that next year. If we have that chance when my next deal expires ... I don't know. I just want to play where there's a chance of winning."
Comments like these always rub me the wrong way. I understand -- he wants to win and doesn't want to waste the prime of his career on a team that might be poorly managed or in a rebuild.

But, as supposedly the best player on the team, it's also up to him to raise his game and help turn this team into a winner. He's only 22, he can't stay healthy, and is almost a point-per-game player.

Maybe I just read too much into this. I admit, I don't like him. I've seen a few interviews with him and he sounds like a pretentious dick.
Machine

Post by Machine »

Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

Coyotes will be homeless after next season.

https://www.tsn.ca/arizona-coyotes-glen ... -1.1683572
The city of Glendale has chosen not to renew the operating agreement with the team beyond the 2021-22 season, the city announced on Twitter Thursday. The city has informed the National Hockey League that this upcoming season will be the Coyotes' last at the Gila River Arena.
JimIsJustPlainOld

Post by JimIsJustPlainOld »

NHL family loses two today. First, Rod Gilbert, Ranger winger and HOF'er, passed away at 80. And Jimmy Hayes 31, former NHL player for for four teams, brother to Flyers, Kevin Hayes, and cousin to Keith, Matt, and Brady Tkachuk, along with Devils GM, Tom Fitzgerald died fairly suddenly. He left a wife and two kids, a 2yr old and 5 month old.
winged wheel

Post by winged wheel »

Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

I thought Jimmy Hayes was going to be a top 6 C for a long time in the NHL.
Dude was so good everytime I watched.
If Rasmussen played like Hayes did, I'd be a huge fan.
I can't understand how a guy with that size, skill and skating couldn't have a better career.
Wizard of Corsica

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

Pop Zeus wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:44 pm I thought Jimmy Hayes was going to be a top 6 C for a long time in the NHL.
Dude was so good everytime I watched.
If Rasmussen played like Hayes did, I'd be a huge fan.
I can't understand how a guy with that size, skill and skating couldn't have a better career.
Lots of talent in the gene pool too. I hate speculating because it'll all come out, but you have to wonder about head trauma. RIP regardless.
JimIsJustPlainOld

Post by JimIsJustPlainOld »

And his family just celebrated their oldest son's 2nd birthday the day before. How crappy is that. Still no cause of death given.