Tank?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Fil Zaronek

Tank?

Post by Fil Zaronek »

I think Yzerman wants to tank but am afraid they may be better next season.
The most highly regarded draft prospects in years will be available at the top of the next 2 drafts. Even if we don't land one tanking some more will yield more high end prospects and young assets to mold a Cup contender with and cap space to be a player in free agency and trading.
They improved significantly last year and there are reasons to believe that they may do so again next year.

3 of their top 4 ppg producers and their 3 best forwards missed significant time with injuries. The only one that didn't was Mantha/Vrana and he was shitty until the trade. That's not likely to happen again.

Vrana seems like a huge improvement over Mantha. It was a small sample size though and Mantha has had hot stretches where he was dominant like that in the past but still by all metrics (points per game, points by ice-time, pp es) Vrana produced significantly better than Mantha in Washington and Detroit.Looks like he may be star on the verge of breaking out.

Unless they acquire someone, I expect Seider to become their best d-man at some point in the season. Seider will be a huge upgrade and Hronek should continue to progress.

Hronek, Rasmussen, Zadina, Veleno, Cholowski, Berggren, Raymond (Kopitar scored less than half a point a game in Sweden at the same as age as Raymond and scored 60 points for the Kings the following season. Not saying that will happen with Raymond just that his unremarkable production last season doesn't preclude the possibility especially if he is working hard on getting stronger) and #6 2021 should continue to improve and odds are one or more may break out and have an impact.

I know all of that may seem concerning but not re-signing Bernier may compensate for all of that.

Would you rather they continue to tank or try to build a team that could contend for a playoff spot next season?

dcz28

Re: Tank?

Post by dcz28 »

I would like to see the Wings get one or two lottery wins before starting to compete for the playoffs but that seems unlikely with a team like Buffalo that will be tanking hard. A couple of more teams will suck as much if not more than the Wings too. A lot of the top drafted players in this draft (mainly the guys from Michigan) likely won't turn pro either for this season. We''ll see after the dust settles for the expansion draft, draft and UFA market dies down where the other bottom feeders are at with player movement but i fear the Wings have missed out because of the lottery on getting the top players they needed when they bottomed out. Yzerman got the lottery changed too late to help the Wings and instead is going to help Buffalo get Wright and Michkov/Bedard.
Fil Zaronek

Post by Fil Zaronek »

dcz28 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:29 pm I would like to see the Wings get one or two lottery wins before starting to compete for the playoffs but that seems unlikely with a team like Buffalo that will be tanking hard. A couple of more teams will suck as much if not more than the Wings too. A lot of the top drafted players in this draft (mainly the guys from Michigan) likely won't turn pro either for this season. We''ll see after the dust settles for the expansion draft, draft and UFA market dies down where the other bottom feeders are at with player movement but i fear the Wings have missed out because of the lottery on getting the top players they needed when they bottomed out. Yzerman got the lottery changed too late to help the Wings and instead is going to help Buffalo get Wright and Michkov/Bedard.
It's looking like Seider may be the best of his class so losing the lottery may not have actually hurt us in 19, it would have been nice to land Seider's freund the following year and the top 6 or 7 are much more closely ranked this year than in other years. Power is the consensus #1 but it is not inconceivable that 5 or 6 other guys might end #1.
I would love to have a shot at a lottery pick in the next 2 drafts.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

We will have a shot. Maybe not the best shot.
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

It might all depend on the goaltending. Will Bernier re-sign? Will Greiss play well if Bernier isn't here to push him? Who'll be the backup?

Also, if Glendening leaves (and assuming Filppula will be gone as well), we're gonna be so thin at C. Larkin, Ras, Namestnikov. I haven't looked at who's available UFA, but I wouldn't be surprised if Yzerman signed a veteran C. Unless, they think Raymond is ready.
Fil Zaronek

Post by Fil Zaronek »

How do you feel about it now?
Should we pursue a deal to push for a playoff spot?
Will we be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline?

I'm on the fence. Am enjoying better hockey from the Wings but sure would love a shot at Wright or one of the top center prospects in next year's draft.
Barbrady

Post by Barbrady »

Fil Zaronek wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:57 pm How do you feel about it now?
Should we pursue a deal to push for a playoff spot?
Will we be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline?

I'm on the fence. Am enjoying better hockey from the Wings but sure would love a shot at Wright or one of the top center prospects in next year's draft.
We've got about 2 months before this even becomes a serious question. A lot of hockey to be played.
Wizard of Corsica

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

Re-building is not done, but tanking is over.

This is not a roster built to tank. Instructing Seider, Raymond and Ned to tank, or setting them up to do so would be stupid.

Having said that, Yzerman's not going to go for broke to try making the playoffs. And I could see him trading Bertuzzi still, although he's tanking himself right now.

Vrana still has to tap in, let's not forget.
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

I'm glad that we're finally seeing some Ws. But, I still expect a bottom 10 finish/top 10 draft pick.

1) Our point % right now is good enough for 22nd in the league. We're barely above .500.

2) 26 teams have played at least one fewer game than us.

3) And, everyone's been healthy and no major COVID shutdowns. That will change. Haven't we gone winless when Larkin was out (can't remember)? For the most part, we're a one-line team, with two rookies that play a lot of minutes in key situations. An injury or two and we're right back on the bottom.
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

I’m excited to see if Vrana is enough to make us a two-line team. I still expect us to finish outside the playoffs, but at 22nd, this team is playing better than I expected going into the season. I wouldn’t be surprised if we finish just outside position for the Wright sweepstakes.