2021 Draft: Post Your Personal Ranking

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
hiramnicak

2021 Draft: Post Your Personal Ranking

Post by hiramnicak »

Throughout this tank, and really the deeper we get into it, the more I find myself following the draft eligibles throughout the season. This year, I've really sunk my teeth into this, going out of my way to find as many streams as possible and writing up my own reviews of what I've seen from these players. I'm obviously not a professional, nor have I seen any of these players in person, so take these opinions with a boulder of salt and trust that Håkan Andersson and Steve Yzerman are always right.

Disclaimers aside, here are my current rankings capped at 60 per the Red Wing standard:

1. Owen Power, LHD | shift-by-shift (1), (2), (3), highlights, ECH Scouting Report

The temptation with Owen Power is to look at his size (listed 6'6", 209 lbs) and and expect a rugged, hulk type defenseman. The problem is, Power doesn't play a very grueling physical game. Now, having said that, he does use his length to his advantage, reaching through traffic and around opposition, and he takes advantage of the view from up above the clouds as well. Just don't expect him to Seider any cedars down. What really sets Power apart is his hockey sense and how that translates into the other parts of his game. His transition game is among the best in this class. You can see him reading the ice, deciding where he is going to put the puck before he's even snagged it off his aggressor. Defensively, he's got some work to do, particularly in his own zone, but the instincts are there. His gap control is borderline elite, and with his size, that's a great trait to have. He reads the play well, but he will need to improve his physicality, boxing out the net front and playing a bit more punishing along the wall. He's smart, his edges are strong, and his frame is large, so there's no reason to think he can't develop that part of his game. Owen Power addresses one of the team's two biggest needs: a top-pairing left-handed defenseman. If he could join the ranks of Seider, Hronek, and Johansson as a Red Wings prospect, he's the type of player that could significantly help our rebuild. He could probably make the team as early as 2022-2023. If the Red Wings manage to draft Shane Wright in 2022, I could see a playoff run in 2023.

2. Simon Edvinsson, LHD | shift-by-shift (1), (2), Scouching Report, highlights, anti-highlights, Scott Wheeler (The Athletic)

For all the attention the 6'6" giant Owen Power gets, I'm surprised there isn't similar buzz around Simon Edvinsson, himself 6'5". Edvinsson is shifty with the puck and likes to make runs at the net from time to time, but I suspect he's going to earn his reputation as more of a defensive defenseman. To nit-pick his offense, he loves to pinch, but he doesn't pick his moments wisely and has created any number of odd-man rushes the other way on account of that. However, the guy is a beast, and he almost always gets back in time to stop things before they get too crazy. I've seen him lose the puck right in front of the enemy's net and still get back to shut down the odd man rush the other way. He's fast, and he's got a long stride. His shot is OK but not great, and his role on the powerplay is pretty limited to passing it to the high slot for teammates. All of that makes him much too easy to defend against. On the other hand, Edvinsson is a very smooth skater, and not just for a big guy. Like Power, I haven't seen a lot of bite in Edvinsson's game, but he uses his frame, gap control, and transition game to pick off pucks and move the play up ice. He's not going to put up the numbers I'd expect out of Hughes, Power, Clarke, or Ceulemans, but he's going to play a lot, and he's bound to pick up quite a few secondary assists on account of his ice time and transition game. Simon Edvinsson addresses one of the team's two biggest needs: a top-pairing left-handed defenseman, and Håkan Andersson has spoken highly of Edvinsson as recently as last fall, so I'm sure Edvinsson is pretty high on Detroit's board. If he could join the ranks of Seider, Hronek, and Johansson as a Red Wings prospect, he's the type of player that could significantly help our rebuild.

3. Luke Hughes, RSD | shift-by-shift (1), (2), (3), Scouching Report, highlights, Corey Masisak (The Athletic), drawn from five games

It's hard to overlook his brothers' resumes, both of whom were nearly a year older than him in their respective draft years and put up bigger numbers than Luke, but Luke Hughes was absolutely cut from the same cloth. There's a lot to like about Luke Hughes. For one, he is hands down the best skater in this draft, with great edges, agility, and speed differentials. He has good gap control, and at 6'2", he's got the reach to be an effective shut-down defender, but he's also got great offensive instincts that make him a force in all three zones. The fairest player comparison I've seen is that he's sort of a hybrid of Jake Sanderson and Quinn Hughes. I think he really falls somewhere in the middle of those two guys offensively, defensively, and even as a skater. Luke Hughes addresses one of the team's two biggest needs: a top-pairing left-handed defenseman. He has played the right side most of the year, but I think that is mostly out of necessity. If he could join the ranks of Seider, Hronek, and Johansson as a Red Wings prospect, he's the type of player that could significantly help our rebuild, but he will probably need a season or two to build up strength and gain confidence on both ends of the ice before joining the team full-time.

4. Matthew Beniers, C | shift-by-shift (1), (2), ECH Scouting Report, Scott Wheeler (The Athletic)

It's hard not to love Beniers' game. He hits the ice running, giving a 100% effort all the time, even to his detriment. The word tenacity comes to mind, and his compete has earned the trust from his coaches for seemingly every team he plays, jumping from rookie scrub to all situations go-to-guy pretty quickly, even as a youngster on a loaded Michigan squad. His raw speed and assertive play are his stand out qualities. He dominates possession by pressing hard and pouncing on loose pucks rather bullishly. At lower levels, there are tons of pucks to pounce on, but at the higher levels, and especially the NHL, this playing style isn't going to translate into a whole lot of goals. The biggest question is whether he's going to produce offensively at the NHL level. He doesn't have the softest hands of anyone at the top of the draft, and I'm not convinced he has the strongest hockey sense in this draft class either. He'll have to learn to get better at reading the play, positioning himself, and manipulating his opponents to receive pucks rather than pushing kids around all the time. He's similar to Dylan Larkin in his draft year. While that's the same style of player that I see in Beniers, I don't think he's Larkin's equal by any stretch, but if he can round out his offensive instincts, he could develop into a strong 2C somewhere down the line. Beniers will almost certainly be an effective center in the NHL, and he could probably fill a need at 2C/3C for Detroit.

5. Fabian Lysell, LW/RW | shift-by-shift (1), (2), Scouching Report, interview (Dobber Prospects)

Quick. Flashy. Competitive. Lysell is an interesting one. Of all the forwards in this draft, he probably has the best two-way game. He hasn't produced the numbers he's expected to, which probably hurts his draft stock, but he also didn't get a whole lot of ice time. Most of his ice time came on the fourth line, and his linemates were pretty lousy. His game is pretty similar to Raymond's: he's a competitive, small, speedy winger with elite stickhandling, and he is an absolute joy to watch. On account of his position, I'm not expecting him to go top five unless one of the Swedish scouts (see: Vancouver or Detroit) are big fans, but he's absolutely a top five prospect in my eyes. Aside from his size and position, a lot of the negatives swirling around Lysell's name in the blog-o-sphere have nothing to do with hockey, and Håkan Andersson is as privy as anyone on Lysell's character on-and-off the ice, so it'll be interesting to see where the Red Wings stand. Lysell basically pulled from the same playbook as Raymond, demanding to play for an SHL team. Unfortunately for Lysell, Frölunda didn't have room for him like they did for Raymond the year prior. To that note, scouts voiced similar concerns about Lucas Raymond in his draft year, and that looks like a bunch of smoke and mirrors now. I fully expect this board to blow up if Yzerman drafts another 5'10" skilled winger, but I would have zero problems with this pick.

6. Dylan Guenther, LW/RW | shift-by-shift (1), (2), (3), drawn from five games

Guenther is a strong winger with a heavy shot, excellent vision, and great playmaking skills. In the games I watched, he was constantly a step ahead of everyone else, finding passing lanes where there were no passing lanes and picking off breakout passes from the opposition. I'm not sure if he's always played the wing, but he plays like someone who used to play center. He's not a power forward, but he's not afraid to throw his weight around either. He reminds of guys like Lafreniere and Huberdeau. While he doesn't answer any glaring positional needs for the Red Wings, Guenther is one of the higher-upside swings at forward this year, and I don't think he'd be a terrible pick.

7. Brandt Clarke, RHD | shift-by-shift (1), (2), (3), Scouching Report, highlights, drawn from five games, ECH Scouting Report, Joshua Kloke and Scott Wheeler I (The Athletic), Joshua Kloke and Scott Wheeler II (The Athletic)

I like Brandt Clarke as a fourth forward type defenseman. He gets praised a lot for his two-way play and skating, but in the action I've seen, his offensive game is really his calling card. That's not to say he's bad defensively, just that he has a great offensive toolkit. He'll need to work on his skating, but he's going to be a really good player, maybe even a great player, at the next level. Right-handed defensemen aren't at the top of Detroit's needs, and it's hard to see a future with all of Seider, Clarke, and Hronek lacing up on the right side, but I don't think handedness should make or break a pick.

8. William Eklund, C/LW | shift-by-shift (1), (2), Scouching Report

The numbers Eklund's put up as a 17-year-old in the SHL are ridiculous. It certainly helps that he is playing on a line with Alexander Holtz, but Eklund is absolutely driving the bus on that line. He doesn't have that flashy one-on-one creativity you'll find in Johnson or Lysell, and his skating doesn't begin to approach the latter's explosiveness, but he's got, arguably, the best hockey sense of all the forwards in the draft, playing a spider-style game, setting traps and intercepting passes to create plays. Eklund works hard, with and without the puck, and even though he's a seventeen-year-old and only 5'10", he's been very strong on the puck through open ice and along the boards. You're going to read a lot of comments saying Eklund reminds people of Zetterberg. Stylistically, I think it's an apt comparison. If the Red Wings think Eklund can play center, he's got to be in the conversation for Detroit's pick.

9. Fyodor Svechkov, C | shift-by-shift, drawn from five games, Scouching Report

Svechkov is an axe-to-the-grindstone type of player. He's got some of the best defensive instincts of any forward in this draft, frequently stripping opponents in the defensive zone, and interrupting passing lanes. He’s also got a lot of creativity with the puck. Even dazzling at times. Forget what you’ve read from his detractors. I’ve seen him pull off some great tricks. He didn't look out of place at all in Russia’s second best league, quickly earning special teams duties for the team and contributing at both ends of the ice. Early on, most of the goals I saw were off rebounds or deflections, so he’s willing to go to the dirty areas, but as he grew comfortable in the VHL, the dazzling plays he made in Juniors cropped up in his game as well. Svechkov is very much an Yzerman type of player who works hard, is responsible defensively, and has very good offensive instincts. If there's a Datsyuk in this draft, it's probably this guy, though that's a stylistic comparison only and not a heap of expectations. Svechkov is signed with SKA and likely won't be able to come over for a few years, so he might drop a few spots lower than he should. Will he be available with the Washington pick?

10. Kent Johnson, RW | shift-by-shift, drawn from five games, Souching Report

When he has the puck on his stick, he's a video game character. If you've seen his highlights reels, you've probably got him in consideration for first overall. He's the slippiest player in the draft, angling opponents, dangling opponents, changing speeds, and generally screwing with peoples' heads. He is deceptively fast, and he can change gears on a dime. My biggest concerns with Johnson are his compete level and his hockey sense. First of all, he needs to improve his involvement without the puck. He disappears a lot, and not in a good way. He is too easy to play against and doesn't do much in the defensive zone even playing on the wing, so I have a hard time projecting him as a center going forward. If Detroit thinks Johnson can center a line in the NHL, he's on the board, but I haven't seen it. I also get the feeling watching him play that he's so focused on spins and dangles that he loses sight of the game. He can be flat-footed at times, relying on his slick hands to maneuver him out of pretty much every situation, and it's worked for him up to this point, but he's going to need to learn how to hustle to play at the next level. Watching him play reminds me of seeing Tomas Jurco's juggling video for the first time back in the day. I mean, it's great that Kent Johnson can do fancy things with the puck, but it's not always that relevant to winning hockey games. Kent Johnson has all the skill to be a top five pick in this draft, but his all-around game leaves too much to be desired, and I don't think he makes much sense for Detroit unless they think there's a toolbox to contain all the tools he brings to the toolshed. I really hope I'm wrong though and that Johnson can reel it all together. He isn't my top pick, but he's a very exciting prospect when he's got the puck on his stick.

11. Aleksi Heimosalmi, RHD | shift-by-shift, Finnish Junior Profile, intervew (Dobber Prospects)

Aleksi Heimosalmi is a phenomenal skater with strong defensive instincts. He plays a smart, two-way game, and he's got one of the quicker first steps of all draft eligibles. His gap control and outlet passes stood out in the games I watched as well. He seems to have a decent shot from the point. He doesn't make many mistakes, and he doesn't repeat the ones he does make. Given the league he played in this year, I can't confidently rank him any higher, but I will openly admit he's my favorite defenseman in this draft. I think he's the defender with the most wow and flutter, and his hockey sense is incredible. Biggest wart: quality of competition, though he assuaged some anxiety at the U18s. All-in-all, a very mobile defender with a great deal of untapped offensive potential, this kid could be one of the steals of the draft.

12. Sebastian Cossa, G | shift-by-shift, Allan Mitchell (The Athletic)

Cossa's stats are pretty mind-blowing, and I'd read a lot of good things about him, but I only recently caught him in action (he posted a shutout). What impressed me the most about him is how fast he is. He can drop to butterfly, pop back up, and dart to the far side of the net in about a bat of the eye. He plays a pretty modern style of goaltending, focused more on positioning than acrobatics, but his ability to read the game, size, and quickness allow him to really dominate the game.

13. Carson Lambos, LHD | shift-by-shift

Lambos is one of those players who does everything well but nothing exceptionally. He's a good skater. He's got good puckhandling. Good passing. Good shot. I just haven't seen anything elite or that I can project as a top pairing guy. At this point, his ceiling is probably that of a second pairing defenseman. He's a left-handed defenseman, and to that end, he would fulfill a need for Detroit. He’s a good candidate for Detroit’s extra pick in the first round.

14. Mason McTavish, C | shift-by-shift, highlights, Max Bultman (The Athletic), Scott Wheeler (The Athletic)

McTavish is an offensively-gifted center with a big shot who is strong on the puck. He plays a simple, high-octane, shoot-first game and has good size, which makes it easy to project him as an NHL player, but his skating deficiencies and struggles in transition could hold him back from playing in a top six role, even if he does have a rocket of a shot. He isn't much of a playmaker, but as a power forward, I could see developing into a coveted top nine winger you could move up and down your lineup. He's another center that's probably going to play wing at the next level, but I wouldn't write him off over it.

15. Jesper Wallstedt, G | shift-by-shift

Jesper Wallstedt is a unique goaltending prospect in that he is probably ready to play in the NHL right now. His game is mature and collected. His athletic ability is there, and he's got great agility between the pipes, but he keeps things simple. I'm particularly impressed by his angles and rebound control, though he seems to do everything quite well. He's not the flashiest goaltending prospect in recent years, but he tracks the puck so well and plays such a smart game that he really doesn't need to be. I'm not a fan of drafting goaltenders at the top of the draft, however much I like Wallstedt, especially when Detroit has invested so many picks on crease masters over the past few drafts. Besides, if the cupboards don't feel stocked enough for Yzerman's liking, I'd rather pick up Cossa.

16. Cole Sillinger, C | shift-by-shift, Scouching Report, highlights, drawn from five games, Scott Wheeler (The Athletic)

There's a lot to like about Sillinger's game. He plays smart, plays hard, and he's got a great combination of stickhandling, playmaking, and shooting. The biggest area of concern with him is his skating. After Veleno, Rasmussen, and Niederbach, Detroit is lacking in quality center prospects, and Sillinger could definitely fill a need there, but I don't expect Sillinger will be available in the range the Red Wings are picking unless they use their first on him.

17. Oskar Olausson, RW | shift-by-shift, all goals

Olausson is the type of player that slows the game down. He takes his time with the puck to let the game unfold and preys on defensive lapses. This has worked really well for him in Europe, but that playing style hasn’t worked too well against the teams at the U18 World Championships, where teams like Canada and USA have way too much speed and skill to play the wait and see game. But if he can figure out how to make those plays when he has less time on his hands, he’s going to be a fine NHLer. He's got a good set of hands and is very confident with the puck, but he is not as well-rounded as the Swedes ahead of him. He's also a winger, who is probably going off the board in the 10-20 range, so I don't think the Red Wings will go in on him.

18. Samu Salminen, C | shift-by-shift

As it stands now, Salminen is a very good playmaker with excellent hockey sense and a decent shot, but he's a very raw prospect. He's way too easy to knock off his feet, so he really will need to get stronger on his edges, and while he can get moving as fast as anybody when he's got a runway, his stride is pretty inefficient. That said, if the team who drafts him is patient with him, I think his ceiling is about as high as anyone in this draft because he thinks the game at a high pace, has good size, and is great with the puck. It looks like he could be available in the second or third round based on reports from Bob McKenzie and others, but I'd be willing to swing on him as early as Detroit's second pick.

19. Zachary L'Heureux, LW | Do Not Draft | shift-by-shift (1), (2), (3)

L'Heureux is a skilled, gritty, playmaking winger. He's strong on his feet, which allows him to play a very physical game, and he is pretty involved on the forecheck and the backcheck. The drawbacks with his game are his skating, lack of discipline, and inconsistent effort. I don't imagine the Red Wings seriously consider picking him, especially considering the nails his compete level drill into the coffin. Ultimately, it's his Sean Averyisms and his Claude Lemieuxisms that seal the deal for me, but I'm judging him from an armchair, and ideally, this is a guy you interview at the combine. If the interview goes really well, I could feasibly overlook his flaws and pick him as early as twentieth overall, but from the armchair, it's hard to get excited about picking him.

19. Aatu Räty, C | shift-by-shift, Scouching Report, What's wrong with Aatu Räty?, Scott Wheeler (The Athletic)

Like so many others, I have been rather disappointed with Räty in the games I've seen, but I'd still be willing to take him in the first round, thanks in large part to Will Scouching's Scouching Report. If Aatu Räty can carve out a space for himself in a middle six role at the NHL level, I think he's still a great pickup in the first round.

20. Scott Morrow, RHD | 192 | shift-by-shift, Scouching Report, interview (Dobber Prospects)

All-situations defenseman with good size and skating whose bread and butter is his playmaking ability. He is a bit raw, having only played prep school hockey, so he'll need time to adjust to better competition, but he looks like he could develop into a solid top-four defender who you can use on your powerplay. Detroit's defense is awful, however stocked the pipeline is, and they are less productive on the powerplay than they are at five-on-five, so they need all the help they can get right now. There aren't many names I would pass over Scott Morrow for if he's available when the Red Wings make their second pick.

21. Nikita Chibrikov, LW | shift-by-shift, drawn from five games

Chibrikov is a very skilled playmaker with slippery hands and a strong motor. Biggest drawbacks for him are his first step and his penchant to play a bit too aggressively in transition.

22. Isak Rosén, LW/RW | shift-by-shift, Scouching Report, highlights

When he's in the zone, he's neck-and-neck with Fabian Lysell for the best "speedy, skilled winger" in the draft, but I've seen two very different players running around the ice with the name Isak Rosén on their jersey, and the other one's not so alluring. I really, really like the player who showed up for the U18s, but I've also seen some lazy play out of Rosén and games where he completely checked out. What's encouraging though is that he was playing much better to end the year than he did to start.

23. Corson Ceulemans, RHD | shift-by-shift

He's a big kid, who skates well, is physically aggressive, and he has a big shot from the point, which has lead to a lot of production on the powerplay. However, the team that takes Ceulemans is taking a bit of a gamble. The mobile, two-way defenseman has arguably been the most productive quarterback in the AJHL since Cale Makar, but it is a weaker league, and there are a lot of questions about how his offense will translate at the next level. With his shot and playmaking skills, I think his offense should translate just fine. He has some work to do on his defensive game, but I could see Ceulemans developing into a minute-munching, top-four defenseman who can quarterback one of your powerplay units.

24. Chaz Lucius, C | shift-by-shift, all goals, drawn from five games, Scott Wheeler (The Athletic)

Lucius has one of the best shots in this draft class and is willing to crash the net and jump on loose pucks, so this guy picks up a lot of goals. He's also got, arguably, the best hockey name in this draft class. He's got great goal-scoring instincts, but beyond that, I'm not really sure what he has to offer.

25. Stanislav Svozil, RSD | shift-by-shift, drawn from five games

Going into this season, Svozil was seen as a mobile, defensive defenseman with high-end hockey sense. This year, he's established himself as more of a two-way player, capable of burning past defensemen when he has an opening. His defensive positioning and decision-making are still his bread and butter, but he has the tools to be effective at both ends. The biggest concern about him is his consistency. He has mostly stepped up for the big games, international tournaments and playoffs, but he has a tendency to disappear on a game-to-game basis. Could be more assertive in front of his own net as well.

26. Francesco Pinelli, C | shift-by-shift, highlights

When COVID hit, Pinelli ran off to Slovenia. I commend the hastiness in finding somewhere to play. I'm disappointed at the league he chose though, and I expected him to light it up a bit more than he did. That said, just like Clarke, Lambos, and others who went to Europe, I think it's wise to look at how he played outside of Europe. At the U18s, he was absolutely dominant, and as a center prospect, he's got to be high on Detroit's list of candidates.

27. Matthew Coronato, LW | shift-by-shift, highlights, Scott Powers (The Athletic)

Great skater. Great shooter. Considered one of the hardest workers in the draft. Had an incredible season with Chicago this year.

28. Xavier Bourgault, C/RW | shift-by-shift (1), (2), drawn from five games

Bourgault played the right wing for most of the season, and that's probably where he'll stay. He is generally viewed as more of a complimentary player than a play-driver in the various scouting reports I've come across, but he's also a smart playmaking forward with slick hands who put up a lot of points on a pretty good team. I've only seen him in the shift-by-shift videos posted above, but I think he's got great offensive instincts. I only wish he'd actually played center in those games.

29. Prokhor Poltapov, LW | shift-by-shift, drawn from five games

Poltapov is a grinder with really good pair of hands. He works the boards, drives to the net, and plays very smart hockey. Krasnaya Armiya Moskva tried him at center on occasion, and he didn't look terribly out of place. I don't see him sticking there long-term, but he earned his coach's trust enough as a reliable defensive forward with a high rev motor.

30. Simon Robertsson, LW/RW | shift-by-shift, Scouching Report

Robertsson is a strong skater with a wicked wrister and a deceptive release. Beyond that, he's got a good hockey brain, and has shown a lot of creativity, particularly in transition, using the boards effectively to fly by opponents, as well as a knack for grinding hard on the forecheck. The biggest drawback with Robertsson is that he's a winger, and that's not high on the Red Wings' list of needs, but he's also the type of player that seems to check a lot of Yzerman's boxes.

31. Ville Koivunen, LW/RW | shift-by-shift, Scouching Report

Koivunen is a shifty, playmaking winger who competes hard and protects the puck well. His skating and shooting are areas in need of improvement, but I could easily see him filling a middle six role some day as a Gustav Nyquist-lite sort of a player.

32. Matthew "Mackie" Samoskevich, RW | shift-by-shift

Samoskevich is an unselfish, slick-mitted forward who played on a line with Coronato most of the year and contributed to a lot of Coronato's success. Has good speed. Biggest knock on him is his size, but I think he's got the skills and the motor to mitigate that.

TIERRANKPLAYER NAMEBIRTHDATENATIONPOSITIONSHOOTSHEIGHTWEIGHTVIDEO
A1Owen Power2002-11-22CANLDLeft6'6"2091, 2, 3, H, ECH
A2Simon Edvinsson2003-02-05SWELDLeft6'5"1851, 2, SR, H
A3Luke Hughes2003-09-09USALDLeft6'2"1611, 2, 3, SR, H, A, 5g
A4Matthew Beniers2002-11-05USACLeft6'1"1681, 2, ECH, A
B5Fabian Lysell2003-01-19SWELW/RWRight5'10"1761, 2, SR
B6Dylan Guenther2003-04-10CANLW/RWRight6'1"1701, 2 , 3, 5g
B7Brandt Clarke2003-02-09CANRDRight6'1"1811, 2, 3, SR, H, 5g, ECH, A1, A2
B8William Eklund2002-10-12SWEC/LWLeft5'10"1721, 2, SR
C9Fyodor Svechkov2003-04-05RUSCLeft6'0"1791, 5g, SR
C10Kent Johnson2002-10-18CANLWLeft6'1"1851, 5g, SR
C11Aleksi Heimosalmi2003-05-08FINRDRight5'11"1541
C12Sebastian Cossa2002-11-21CANGCatch Left6'4"2121
C13Carson Lambos2003-01-14CANLDLeft6'1"2011
C14Mason McTavish2003-06-30CANC/LWLeft6'1"1961, H, A1, A2
C15Jesper Wallstedt2002-11-14SWEGCatch Left6'3"2091
C16Cole Sillinger2003-05-16USACLeft6'0"1871, SR, h, 5g, A
D17Oskar Olausson2002-11-10SWERWLeft6'2"1811, H
D18Samu Salminen2003-04-09FINC/LWLeft6'3"1861
D19Aatu Räty2002-11-14FINCLeft6'1"1811, SR , A
D20Scott Morrow2002-11-02USARDRight6'2"1921, SR
D21Nikita Chibrikov2003-02-16RUSLWLeft5'10"1611, 5g
D22Isak Rosén2003-03-15SWELW/RWLeft5'10"1541, SR, H
D23Corson Ceulemans2003-05-05CANRDRight6'2"1901
D24Chaz Lucius2003-05-02USACRight6'0"1721, 5g, H
D25Stanislav Svozil2003-01-17CZELDLeft6'1"1721, 5g
D26Francesco Pinelli2003-04-11CANCLeft6'1"1851, H
D27Matthew Coronato2002-11-14USALWRight5'10"1811, H, A
D28Xavier Bourgault2002-10-22CANC/RWRight6'0"1701, 2, (2), 5g
D29Prokhor Poltapov2003-02-01RUSLWLeft5'11"1611, 5g
D30Simon Robertsson2003-02-05SWELW/RWLeft6'0"1811, SR
E31Ville Koivunen2003-06-13FINLW/RWLeft5'11"1591, SR
E32Matthew "Mackie" Samoskevich2002-11-15USARWRight5'9"1721
E33Tristan Broz2002-10-10USALW/RWLeft5'11"1721
E34Samu Tuomaala2003-01-08FINRW/LWRight5'10"1651
E35Ayrton Martino2002-09-28CANLWLeft5'10"1681, 5g, SR
F36Daniil Chayka2002-10-22RUSLDLeft6'3"1871
F37Brent Johnson2003-03-20USARDRight5'11"1651, 5g, SR
F38Hugo Gabrielsson2002-10-24SWELDLeft6'0"159
F39Artyom Grushnikov2003-03-20RUSLDLeft6'2"1741
F40Redmond Savage2003-05-15USAC/LWLeft5'11"1741
F41Liam Dower Nilsson2003-04-14SWECLeft5'11"1591
F42Samuel Helenius2002-11-26FINCLeft6'6"1831
F43William Strömgren2003-06-07SWELWLeft6'2"1611
F44Kalle Ervasti2003-03-07FINRDRight6'0"163
F45Robert Orr2003-09-01CANCLeft5'11"1761
F46Jack Peart2003-05-15USALDLeft5'11"1741
G47Logan Mailloux2003-04-15CANRDRight6'3"2141
G48Brennan Othmann2003-01-05CANLWLeft5'11"1651
G49Nikita Guslistov*2002-05-30RUSCLeft5’9”1701
G50Olen Zellweger2003-09-10CANLDLeft5'9"1651
G51Jake Martin2003-03-18USARDRight6'0"1901, SR
G52Vladislav Lukashevich2003-05-23RUSLDLeft6'1"1651
G53Colton Dach2003-01-04CANLWLeft6'2"1831, H
H54Jack Bar2002-10-24CANRDRight6'2"1941
H55Dmitri Kuzmin2003-04-23BLRLDLeft5'8"1761, SR
H56Vasili Machulin*2002-08-07RUSL-RDRight6'4"1851
H57Kirill Kirsanov2002-09-19RUSR-LDLeft6'1"1981
H58Ryder Korczak2002-09-23CANCRight5'10"1591
H59Lukas Gustafsson2002-12-16USA/SWELDLeft5'10"185
H60Alexander Suvorov2002-11-30BLRLWLeft5'9"159
*Over-Agers: Vasili Machulin and Nikita Guslistov. Nobody talks about Vasili Machulin, but he's a smooth-skating 6'4" defender with offensive upside and decent defense, though he's got a lot of room to grow in the latter department. I'd love to see him in a Red Wings uniform. Guslistov is a skilled forward who became the youngest captain in KHL history this season. He also pitted a hat trick in the KHL as an eighteen-year-old. Not sure if that’s been done before. He's got great leverage on the puck, magnetic almost.

**Honorable Mentions (unordered): Sasha Pastujov (1, 2), Sean Behrens (1), Martin Ryšavý (1), Jakub Brabenec (1), Dmitri Zugan (1), Bennet Roßmy, Benjamin Gaudreau (1), Alexander Kisakov (1, H, 5g), Marcus Almquist (1), Daniil Lazutin (1), Gustavs Ozoliņš, Pavel Tyutnev (SR, H), Carter Mazur, and Danila Klimovich (1).

***Do Not Draft:
  • Zachary L'Heureux: undisciplined behavior, inconsistent play, lack of engagement off the puck. This is however a soft DND based mostly on disciplinary issues, and I think he's a first round talent (see above).
  • Logan Stankoven: he's really good at a lot of things, but for someone his size, he needs to be elite at something for me. I could see taking a flier in the sixth, but I suspect he won’t be around.
  • Anton Olsson: I don't see any upside outside his skating, and even if I project him as a bottom pairing guy, I question his decision-making with the puck too much.
  • Shai Buium: likeable, competitive player, but I don't see an NHL player. Too much lacking in too many parts of his game.

Works Consulted (in addition to games, Scouching Reports, and shift-by-shift videos):

2019.11 | Craig Button (TSN)
2019.12 | Josh Bell (The Hockey Writers)
2020.02 | Scott Wheeler (The Athletic)
2020.04 | Tony Ferrari (Dobber Prospects)
2020.04 | Raw Charge
2020.08 | Jokke Nevalainen (Dobber Prospects)
2020.09 | Scott Wheeler (The Athletic)
2020.09 | Ashley Glover (Recruit Scouting)
2020.09 | Josh Bell (The Hockey Writers)
2020.09 | Draft Prospects Hockey
2020.10 | Ryan Quinley (Broad Street Hockey)
2020.10 | Corey Pronman (The Athletic)
2020.10 | Alex Taxman (Future Scope Hockey)
2020.10 | Gabriel Foley (Last Word On Sports)
2020.11 | Tony Ferrari (Dobber Prospects)
2020.11 | Neutral Zone
2020.11 | Hockey Prospect
2020.11 | Will Scouch (Scouching)
2020.11 | Sam Cosentino (Sportsnet)
2020.11 | Josh Tessler (Smaht Scouting)
2020.12 | Scott Wheeler (The Athletic)
2020.12 | Tyson Quibell (The Painted Lines)
2020.12 | Austin Brass (Die by the Blade)
2020.12 | Bob McKenzie (The Sports Network)
2020.12 | Colin Cudmore & Ary M (Silver Seven)
2021.01 | David Ciss (The Puck Authority)
2021.01 | Alex Taxman (Future Scope)
2021.01 | Peter Baracchini (The Hockey Writers)
2021.01 | J.D. Burke (Elite Prospects)
2021.01 | Cam Robinson (Dobber Prospects)
2021.01 | Mike Morreale (NHL.com)
2021.02 | Brock Otten (McKeen's Hockey)
2021.02 | Matthew Zator (The Hockey Writers)
2021.02 | Corey Pronman (The Athletic)
2021.02 | Josh Tessler (Smaht Scouting)
2021.02 | Andrew Forbes (The Hockey Writers)
2021.02 | Dan Stewart (Draft Prospects Hockey)
2021.02 | Will Scouch (Scouching)
2021.02 | Recruit Scouting
2021.03 | Peter Harling (Dobber Prospects)
2021.03 | Steve Kournianos (The Draft Analyst)
2021.03 | Scott Wheeler (The Athletic)
2021.03 | Tony Ferrari (Dobber Prospects)
2021.03 | Peter Baracchini (The Hockey Writers)
2021.03 | Tyson Quibell (The Painted Lines)
2021.03 | Corey Pronman (The Athletic)
2021.04 | Matthew Zator (The Hockey Writers)
2021.04 | Sam Cosentino (Sportsnet)
2021.04 | Hockey Prospect
2021.04 | Curtis Schwartzkopf (The Charging Buffalo)
2021.04 | On The Forecheck
2021.04 | Dan Stewart (Draft Prospects Hockey)
2021.04 | Bob McKenzie (The Sports Network)
2021.04 | Brock Otten (McKeen's Hockey)
2021.04 | Mike G. Morreale (NHL.com)
2021.04 | Ryan Kennedy (Sports Illustrated)
2021.04 | Josh Bell (FC Hockey / Sporting News)
2021.04 | Larry Fisher (UFFS)
2021.05 | Craig Button (TSN)
2021.05 | Sam Cosentino (Sportsnet)
2021.05 | Andrew Forbes (The Hockey Writers)
2021.05 | J.D. Burke (EP Rinkside)
2021.05 | Steve Kournianos (The Draft Analyst)
2021.06 | NHL Central Scouting
2021.06 | Will Scouch (Scouching)
2021.06 | Chris Peters (Hockey Sense)
2021.06 | Tony Farrari (Dobber Prospects)

*edit(s) to add: links