Wheeler's Prospect Pool Rankings

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
holytoledo

Wheeler's Prospect Pool Rankings

Post by holytoledo »

https://theathletic.com/2229558/2021/02 ... dailyemail

Teams 31-8 - no trace of the Wings. We're in the top 7! The icing on the cake: Chicago Blackhawks #24.

Basically it includes players under 23 that are not already in the NHL fulltime. That means Zadina, Hronek & Smith don't currently count for us. Not sure about Rasmussen since he was just sent down, but I'm assuming he'll count.

Bad news: Philly, Colorado, Toronto, Vegas & Buffalo all make the top 15 with contending clubs that also have young NHL talent.

We're climbing the hill, but have a ways to go.

Obviously Seider, Raymond & Berggren will be the highlights of our list. I suspect Neiderbach, Wallinder & Johansson as well. Cholo is still eligible and will likely get a mention since defenseman take longer. Chevy has aged out of consideration.

hiramnicak

Re: Wheeler's Prospect Pool Rankings

Post by hiramnicak »

inside the top-5....
Wizard of Corsica

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

I gotta try subscribing to the Athletic one of these days. I bet Soderblom's turn at World Juniors will get him a mention.
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

Wizard of Corsica wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:54 pm I gotta try subscribing to the Athletic one of these days. I bet Soderblom's turn at World Juniors will get him a mention.
As memory serves, Wheeler liked Elmer even before the WJC, but I could be confusing that with Pronman or Bultman. One of the three made a snarky comment after Worlds about how they’d always been pretty high on Elms.

In any event, he’ll get a mention. At five, Wheeler wrote comments on twenty of Carolina’s top prospects. I’m guessing Elmer slots in somewhere in that 8-12 range.
winged wheel

Post by winged wheel »

Wings come in at number 4 today. He points out that Detroit has had the most picks in the last 4 drafts, 44 selections in 28 rounds, allowing them to take a lot of swings and connect often enough to have one of the better prospect pools in the league.

He has Raymond and Seider in the top tier with Berggren being borderline a tier of his own, but he went with him leading the second tier.

1. Raymond
2. Seider
3. Berggren
4. Veleno
5. Wallinder
6. Rasmussen
7. Tuomisto
8. Johansson
9. Niederbach
10. McIsaac
11. Mastrosimone
12. Viro
13. Sebrango
14. Soderblom
15. Kivenmaki
16. Cotton
17. Givani Smith
18. Petruzzelli
19. Lindstrom
20. Gylander

Honorable Mention
Grewe
Barton
Eliasson
Larsson
Berglund
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

Really interesting to see Gylander make it at 20. I will not be surprised if he ends up making it.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Tuomisto so high and to read up on him. Still don’t like that pick, but would be glad to be wrong.
Fil Zaronek

Post by Fil Zaronek »

holytoledo wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:53 pm Really interesting to see Gylander make it at 20. I will not be surprised if he ends up making it.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Tuomisto so high and to read up on him. Still don’t like that pick, but would be glad to be wrong.
He doesn't know shit.
Soderbblom >>>> Tuomisto
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

Fil Zaronek wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:30 pm
holytoledo wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:53 pm Really interesting to see Gylander make it at 20. I will not be surprised if he ends up making it.

He doesn't know shit.
Soderbblom >>>> Tuomisto
Tuomisto as our 3rd best D prospect - ahead of Johansson, McIsaac and a few others is what I find interesting.

Soderblom as our #7 forward prospect is interesting as well. I’d definitely put Raymond, Berggren & Veleno ahead of him. After that I don’t think anyone has really distinguished themselves but I think Ras has already shown he can at least be a useful bottom 6 player as the NHL level.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

Weird rankings to me.
I have Seider higher than Raymond, fairly easily.
I also have Soderblom higher now.
Before and after the WJC
BEFORE ----------- AFTER
1. Seider ----------- 1. Seider -
2. Raymond -------- 2. Raymond -
3. Veleno --------- 3. Veleno -
4. Berggren ------- 4. Berrgren -
5. Johansson ----- 5. Soderblom +7
6. Niederbach ---- 6. Johansson -1
7. McIsaac -------- 7. Niederbach -1
8. Svechnikov ---- 8. McIsaac -1
9. Wallinder ----- 9. Svechnikov -1
10. Mastrosimone- 10. Wallinder -1
11. Smith --------- 11. Mastrosimone -1
12. Soderblom --- 12. Smith -1
13. Hanas ------ 13. Viro NA
14. Phillips ----- 14. Hanas -1
15. Petruzelli -- 15. Phillips -1
Fil Zaronek

Post by Fil Zaronek »

holytoledo wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:31 pm
Fil Zaronek wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:30 pm

He doesn't know shit.
Soderbblom >>>> Tuomisto
Tuomisto as our 3rd best D prospect - ahead of Johansson, McIsaac and a few others is what I find interesting.

Soderblom as our #7 forward prospect is interesting as well. I’d definitely put Raymond, Berggren & Veleno ahead of him. After that I don’t think anyone has really distinguished themselves but I think Ras has already shown he can at least be a useful bottom 6 player as the NHL level.
I would say after that the only guy who distinguished himself is Soderblom.