Keith Tkachuk - Not in the Hall of Fame

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
holytoledo

Re: Keith Tkachuk - Not in the Hall of Fame

Post by holytoledo »

Zattaman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:53 pm
cska91 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:49 pm I don't think goals alone should be enough to get into the HOF. There are plenty of guys, at least IMHO, who are in the HOF. I don't think that means more guys like that should be let in. In my mind, HOF is HOF, not hall of really good. Tkachuk was a really good player, but not good enough to be in the Hall.

It's not just about his lack of postseason success. He has no personal awards either. He was never a first-team all-star. There is just not enough there to get into the Hall. In fact, I think Roenick should get more consideration that Tkachuk. Again, not bashing Tkachuk, but he just doesn't have the credentials, besides the goals, to be in the Hall... and that's not enough. My two cents anyway.
The NHL has seen thousands of players in its 105-year history.

Only 47 of them have scored 500 goals or more. If that's not special enough, I don't know what is.

70th overall in total points
34th overall in goals
One of only 4 players to score 1K+ points and records 2K+ PIMs (Shanahan, Verbeek, and Hunter are the other ones)

That's elite company.
I’m sold. Matt is pretty much already in.

RatPatrol

Post by RatPatrol »

Maybe because his teams were never good enough:
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

hall of legend: the actual best of all time, one induction every four years. use the olympic cycle.
hall of fame (the hall of very good): they induct four every year, right? many of them are a stretch.
Wizard of Corsica

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

At the end of the day, the Hall of Fame is a tourist attraction. They want more reasons to display and memorbilia and crap, not less. So one year when they are really scrounging for candidates, he will get in.

He was never, ever a top line star for his generation, which should be the benchmark. But one year, someday, they will forget that, and he will get a plaque.
DelHowLich

Post by DelHowLich »

Wizard of Corsica wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:50 am At the end of the day, the Hall of Fame is a tourist attraction. They want more reasons to display and memorbilia and crap, not less. So one year when they are really scrounging for candidates, he will get in.

He was never, ever a top line star for his generation, which should be the benchmark. But one year, someday, they will forget that, and he will get a plaque.
Maybe he can get in as a builder......If and when Matty and/or Brady get in! :lol:
Wizard of Corsica

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

Speaking of Halls of Fame as tourist attractions, here is a writeup about the sad but predictable demise of the Czech Hockey Hall of Fame from Detroit Hockey Now.

https://detroithockeynow.com/2023/06/01 ... ll-closes/

Oops I see this was posted on another thread.