Constant Theme in 2022 Draft

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

Constant Theme in 2022 Draft

Post by Pop Zeus »

Kasper - Maybe the best work ethic in the draft, best motor
Dylan James - If he makes the NHL it's because he works so hard
Buchelnikov - HP describes him as fearless, an engine
Johansson - Lack of aggression is a criticism, lack of consistent effort, too.
Lombardi - Not much written about his work ethic that I see. Draper called him very competitive and a worker.
Kilpinen - Another guy with no information,
Mathurin - Competitive especially in his own zone
Mehlenbacher - Jesus - his HP scouting report is brutal - no real mention of hustle/work/engine
Ali - Hustle kid (HP describes his passing skills as "repugnant"

Anyway - seems like work ethic/hustle/motor is a common theme.
Reminds me a bit of that 2017 draft with Rasmussen when Tyler Wright made a point about talking about the draft class as being hard to play against.
Last edited by Pop Zeus on Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Resmo112

Re: Constant Thems in 2022 Draft

Post by Resmo112 »

Pop Zeus wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:21 am Kasper - Maybe the best work ethic in the draft, best motor
Lombardi - Not much written about his work ethic that I see. Draper called him very competitive and a worker.
Mehlenbacher - Jesus - his HP scouting report is brutal - no real mention of hustle/work/engine

Reminds me a bit of that 2017 draft with Rasmussen when Tyler Wright made a point about talking about the draft class as being hard to play against.
that was the first draft I'd ever heard someone say "we wanted to get bigger" and just take fucking huge guys that had like no potential. Ras has been ok if he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but the wings had 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, including a top 9 and got 2 depth players
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

Resmo112 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:41 am
Pop Zeus wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:21 am Kasper - Maybe the best work ethic in the draft, best motor

that was the first draft I'd ever heard someone say "we wanted to get bigger" and just take fucking huge guys that had like no potential. Ras has been ok if he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but the wings had 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, including a top 9 and got 2 depth players
Yeah. And I think Kasper is going to be way better than Ras.
Floor - 20-20-40 guy with lots of energy and two-way play.
Even if Ras ever hits 20-20-40, I don't see him as a very helpful guy with the way he skates.
CoconutBackwards

Re: Constant Theme in 2022 Draft

Post by CoconutBackwards »

This is all great, but there better be some talent in here.

Nobody gives a shit about a bunch of guys that suck, but "work hard everyday!"
Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady
DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

CoconutBackwards wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:30 pm This is all great, but there better be some talent in here.

Nobody gives a shit about a bunch of guys that suck, but "work hard everyday!"
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
Resmo112

Post by Resmo112 »

Pop Zeus wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:53 am

Even if Ras ever hits 20-20-40, I don't see him as a very helpful guy with the way he skates.
Kasper was a sound player against men at 16, ras was doing well against kids younger than him.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

Resmo112 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:04 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:53 am

Kasper was a sound player against men at 16, ras was doing well against kids younger than him.
Not just younger the majority were a lot smaller too. Always have to be weary of players that already have NHL size playing in the CHL against kids. More often than not they end up as bottom 6 guys at best since they aren't playing against smaller and weaker players in the NHL. . For every Tom Wilson you get a bunch of Austin Watsons or worst. Personally i had the same concerns with Byfield although Byfield has much better skills and hockey IQ than Rasmussen.

Kasper playing against men is good and that with the way he plays, should help his game translate to the North American ice. He should be an NHL player, the question is what is his offensive ceiling. I think there will be more offense to his game in the near future as his role expands and he gains confidence...just like Seider hopefully.
Wizard of Corsica

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

Resmo112 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:04 pm
From what I have seen, I love how Kasper works hard, but is efficient. He takes the straightest line to the net front maniacally, either carrying the puck or tracking it.
_sg_

Post by _sg_ »

A lot of the picks have grown on me to some extent, possibly with the exception of James. I just don't see it (yet?), and I think in taking an older USHL prospect, you're already on your back foot in a way.

There have been a lot of things I like about the past few drafts, kinda some weird stuff too. I guess that's kind of the nature of the beast.

Sometimes it seems like nuance doesn't scale and that's how you end up with these simple, inefficient mantras driving draft strategy. If I'm being pessimistic, Yzerman's view of "we only want highly competitive players" is just as bad as Holland's view that if we get 2 players from each draft, it's mission accomplished.

Also if I'm being unfairly pessimistic, why do I get vibes that Draper would just be like, ok, understood, I'm just gonna pick the hardest worker now, here's Dylan James.
DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

Look out for Mazur, haven't watched him enough but so far plays like he belongs on the first line for Team USA.
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!