Mat Barzal trade rumors?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

Re: Mat Barzal trade rumors?

Post by Pop Zeus »

DelHowLich wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:56 am
Pop Zeus wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:52 pm Edvinsson for Barzal.
Or, Johansson (or Sebrango) + Veleno + 1st
Eddy is untouchable I would think.
The other trade is not enough, an established NHLer with a lower cap hit is required. And giving up a 1st in 2023 should be avoided.
And Bert may be untradable to Lou, that is why I suggested Vrana. I would hate to lose him, but a #1 C is much more valuable.
If Barzal is truly available, there will be a lot of competition for his services. Maybe Lou does not wanna deal with his next contract. If that is the case one would almost have to have an extension agreed to beforehand.
I would say Edvinsson is untouchable - but Barzal is pretty much a 1C, if you like the guy.
So...
I think Edvinsson is going to be good - but I don't think he's gonna be as good as Seider.
Seems more tentative

DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

Don't think he's a 1C. He's another guy that looks great on the ice and then you look at production.....faceoffs, bad. Defensive metrics, bad. Goals/Assists/Points, meh. No on Edvinsson. I would do Veleno+1st+a plus prospect sweetener. Larkin 1C, Barzal 2C.
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
Machine

Post by Machine »

Nope to trading Edvinsson
I get you got to give to get, I wouldn’t do it.

On the other hand what Lou’s OCD with Kadri
I just don’t see Kadri being the missing piece over there
Trying to move Barzal for Kadri seems like a lateral move
Edit
I would like the Kadri of last season over Barzal but it’s a contract year so….
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

Barzal is no better than Larkin. I think between Copp & Kasper we have more or less filled our needs at C. If we were in win now mode maybe it’d make sense, but we’d be creating greater needs at other positions to acquire him. TBH, we are pretty set with the current depth chart and a little more patience. Our greatest needs - which we may have internally already are another high end scoring winger and a top 4 LD. I suppose acquiring Barzal as a 1B C makes some sense given that Kopp & Kasper can both play wing, but not at great expense.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

holytoledo wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:04 pm Barzal is no better than Larkin. I think between Copp & Kasper we have more or less filled our needs at C. If we were in win now mode maybe it’d make sense, but we’d be creating greater needs at other positions to acquire him. TBH, we are pretty set with the current depth chart and a little more patience. Our greatest needs - which we may have internally already are another high end scoring winger and a top 4 LD. I suppose acquiring Barzal as a 1B C makes some sense given that Kopp & Kasper can both play wing, but not at great expense.
Barzal is better offensively than Larkin imo. Larkin is just a better well rounded player than him. Wings have fixed some needs at center with Copp and Kasper although i'm still not sold on Copp being a good 2nd line center yet. It should be an improvement over Suter though.

Yzerman also improved the left side of the defense although i would have rather have Zadorov over Chiarot especially with the term and both got. If they were going to add something, i still wish they would add a LD like Sanheim or Theodore to play with Seider and bump Chiarot to the 2nd pair where i think he belongs. Wings do have Edvinsson, Johansson and Wallinder coming but prospects are just prospects until they prove otherwise.
blueadams

Post by blueadams »

Yzerman doesn't make trades unless they're lopsided. Edvinsson is definitely off the table. Even Vrana, I think.

Bertuzzi's back surgery, age and impending huge contract is what makes him available. Hronek is a guy with value to idiot GMs with no interest in winning playoff series. Berggren is possibly (possibly not?) a Nyquist, Hudler, etc. type who's also not much of a factor in playoffs. Ras, Zadina, Veleno...guys who can pretty easily be replaced. Pile up enough sh!t and maybe someone bites.

Even guys like Soderblom, Wallinder, Buium, Johansson, Mazur, etc... these aren't guys Steve's gonna give up easily.
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

blueadams wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:12 pm Yzerman doesn't make trades unless they're lopsided. Edvinsson is definitely off the table. Even Vrana, I think.

Bertuzzi's back surgery, age and impending huge contract is what makes him available. Hronek is a guy with value to idiot GMs with no interest in winning playoff series. Berggren is possibly (possibly not?) a Nyquist, Hudler, etc. type who's also not much of a factor in playoffs. Ras, Zadina, Veleno...guys who can pretty easily be replaced. Pile up enough sh!t and maybe someone bites.

Even guys like Soderblom, Wallinder, Buium, Johansson, Mazur, etc... these aren't guys Steve's gonna give up easily.
I just don’t see why New York swings that sort of deal unless Barzal is begging to get out. Even then, there will be better offers on the table. A package of Bertuzzi, Hronek, Berggren, and Veleno for a young, proven center and best forward on their team just doesn’t make any sense. You can’t just heap more on the like and expect the needle to move. There are roster limits, contract limits, etc.
blueadams

Post by blueadams »

Barzal's an impending RFA who's made it clear he's leaving after the season.

Bertuzzi's an impending UFA who'd be happy to sign a long-term FMV extension in New York (and the trade enables them to sign Kadri now).

It almost makes sense straight-up. Throwing in Hronek and Berggren/Zadina/Ras/Veleno is just icing on the cake.