Mat Barzal trade rumors?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
blueadams

Mat Barzal trade rumors?

Post by blueadams »

There's a little Red Wings smoke here, again. Rumors out there that we tried to acquire him at the TDL. Less supported rumors that we tried to acquire him at the draft as well.

25. RFA at the end of the yr. Right-handed shot. Probably a top-10 talent in the league who hasn't quite put it all together yet. Reminds me a little of Vrana+ in that regard.

Word is he's leaving Long Island at the end of the yr, "restricted" free agent or not.

Not sure what the Islanders would be asking for in return. Have to imagine a future 1st or two would be on the table, potentially, for a young star in trade. The Holland boys (Hronek, Ras, Zadina, Veleno, Berggren) are of course available if so-desired. Larkin I imagine not in consideration for an RFA-to-be; his contract negotiations can't possibly be going that badly. Bert.. possibly, given his back history (I'm very sad to acknowledge).

Is Bert and Hronek enough to get you Barzal (who I imagine extends 5 minutes after being traded). Bert, Hronek and Berggren? Do you make that move?

blueadams

Re: Mat Barzal trade rumors?

Post by blueadams »

Larkin, Barzal and Copp gives you 3 great centers for the forseeable future. Suter probably moves to the wing for his last season here.

As Yzerman emphasized, Kasper can play all 3 forward positions (and I personally think he projects best as a more skilled/better defensively Bertuzzi-like power forward).

Raymond, Kasper, Vrana, Soderblom, Bulchenikov, Mazur.. starting to accumulate some top-9 looking wings too
Wizard of Corsica

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

blueadams wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:59 pm There's a little Red Wings smoke here, again. Rumors out there that we tried to acquire him at the TDL. Less supported rumors that we tried to acquire him at the draft as well.

25. RFA at the end of the yr. Right-handed shot. Probably a top-10 talent in the league who hasn't quite put it all together yet. Reminds me a little of Vrana+ in that regard.

Word is he's leaving Long Island at the end of the yr, "restricted" free agent or not.

Not sure what the Islanders would be asking for in return. Have to imagine a future 1st or two would be on the table, potentially, for a young star in trade. The Holland boys (Hronek, Ras, Zadina, Veleno, Berggren) are of course available if so-desired. Larkin I imagine not in consideration for an RFA-to-be; his contract negotiations can't possibly be going that badly. Bert.. possibly, given his back history (I'm very sad to acknowledge).

Is Bert and Hronek enough to get you Barzal (who I imagine extends 5 minutes after being traded). Bert, Hronek and Berggren? Do you make that move?
I do make that move, but the Islanders are going to be after very young prospects and draft capital, not roster players.

Their window is pretty much closed.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

Wizard of Corsica wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:53 pm
blueadams wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:59 pm There's a little Red Wings smoke here, again. Rumors out there that we tried to acquire him at the TDL. Less supported rumors that we tried to acquire him at the draft as well.

I do make that move, but the Islanders are going to be after very young prospects and draft capital, not roster players.

I don't think their window is closed at all.
This team went to the semifinals two straight years and were considered a playoff team last year.

I think they're a good bet to get back in.

Right now, the idea is that they'd potentially trade Josh Bailey to make room for Kadri,
That's not the move a "window closed" team makes.

The rumor is they'd trade Barzal now.
But does that make any sense? Trade a 24-year-old to sign a 31-year-old?

OK.
Let's say it does.
And that Detroit wants Barzal.

Islanders do not need Hronek.
They have Dobson, Pulock and Mayfield on RD.
So no - no Hronek needed. And by the way - that creates a substantial hole in our lineup.

Bertuzzi? Maybe. But then a year later, the Islanders need to sign him - creating another cap problem.

The only reason I buy it is because Lou Lamoriello doesn't like Barzal

Bertuzzi + Kasper for Barzal is probably close to what it might cost.
Or Bertuzzi + Sebrango + 1st, or Bertuzzi + Johansson + first.
Again - however - the Islanders would be back in cap hell next year.

Islanders with Bert+Kadri

Bertuzzi Kadri Palmeiri
Lee Nelson Beauvillier
Parise Pageau Wahlstrom
Clutterbuck Czikas Martin

Pelech Dobson
Romanov Pulock
Aho-Mayfield

Sorokin-Varlamov

Top prospects
Raty, Koivula

Islanders have fuck all for prospects after Raty.
Wizard of Corsica

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

Pop Zeus wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:44 pm
Wizard of Corsica wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:53 pm

I don't think their window is closed at all.
This team went to the semifinals two straight years and were considered a playoff team last year.

I think they're a good bet to get back in.

Right now, the idea is that they'd potentially trade Josh Bailey to make room for Kadri,
That's not the move a "window closed" team makes.

The rumor is they'd trade Barzal now.
But does that make any sense? Trade a 24-year-old to sign a 31-year-old?

OK.
Let's say it does.
And that Detroit wants Barzal.

Islanders do not need Hronek.
They have Dobson, Pulock and Mayfield on RD.
So no - no Hronek needed. And by the way - that creates a substantial hole in our lineup.

Bertuzzi? Maybe. But then a year later, the Islanders need to sign him - creating another cap problem.

The only reason I buy it is because Lou Lamoriello doesn't like Barzal

Bertuzzi + Kasper for Barzal is probably close to what it might cost.
Or Bertuzzi + Sebrango + 1st, or Bertuzzi + Johansson + first.
Again - however - the Islanders would be back in cap hell next year.

Islanders with Bert+Kadri

Bertuzzi Kadri Palmeiri
Lee Nelson Beauvillier
Parise Pageau Wahlstrom
Clutterbuck Czikas Martin

Pelech Dobson
Romanov Pulock
Aho-Mayfield

Sorokin-Varlamov

Top prospects
Raty, Koivula

Islanders have fuck all for prospects after Raty.
You make good points. It’s a talented roster with character but it’s old , 29.4 years old on average at years end. Looking at their projected roster there’s diminishing returns to be expected in a lot of cases. They’re going to have a hard time getting past the Rangers going forward.

There’s a lot of incentive for them to win, Lou is ancient and they just opened a new barn. IDK though, I see this downward trend continuing.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

Wouldn't mind that at all getting Barzal but it's hard to envision it happening given that Yzerman and Lou are probably the two GMs that won't stand potential moves being leaked to the media. Any mention of it in the media and i start to think it has no chance of happening.

If Bert is involved then for sure the Islanders would need a contract extension by Bert. Them adding Bert and Kadri would surely make them much harder to play against. They should be fine cap wise with Varlamov coming off the books and only Whalstrom and Mayfield to re-sign (unless they go with 1 year deals for Dobson and Romanov). Islanders have been rumored to be after a scoring winger since last season so that likely means Bert (signed) or Vrana would be in the deal i would imagine.

The Wings would not have a weakness at center anymore with a move like this. Only thing is Lou wants things his way (not allowed any facial hair rule) so i don't know if he would even want Bertuzzi with his long hair and no vaccine. Seems like he would be the type of GM that would want Bertuzzi to conform and Bert seems like the type that would not. In that line of thought, Vrana might make more sense for them plus he's signed for next season already. Could it be a 1 for 1 Vrana for Barzal?
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

https://nyihockeynow.com/new-york-islan ... amoriello/

According to this article, Bertuzzi would be a no go right off the bat because he refuses to get vaccinated.
blueadams

Post by blueadams »

If they're trying to get tougher and win now... Bertuzzi extension can get signed 5 minutes after the trade (and not kick in until next summer, freeing them to sign Kadri).

Hronek has value to someone. Maybe late 1st or early 2nd. Ship him off and send the pick NYI's way.

Ras might be appealing to them as well?
DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

Let's see how much Bert likes money because this vax business is going to ding his next contract value and teams willing to sign him. Don't think COVID is going to suddenly disappear. If I'm Y I'm trying to unload him now if he can get meaningful value in return.
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

DocBrown wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:45 pm Let's see how much Bert likes money because this vax business is going to ding his next contract value and teams willing to sign him. Don't think COVID is going to suddenly disappear. If I'm Y I'm trying to unload him now if he can get meaningful value in return.
How can anyone still call for a vax mandate when it's fucking obvious that vaccines do not stop spread?