U of M Hockey

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Machine

So what’s going on with the Wolverines
Only heard of the coach being let go don’t know the details

Machine

Here’s a link looks like an investigation went on
https://www.clickondetroit.com/all-abou ... m-culture/
Wizard of Corsica

I have been following the situation from afar. U-M enlisted WilmerHale to conduct an independent investigation about bullying, sexual harassment and lying about Covid during the 2021 NCAAs.

I do not care enough to read the whole report, the articles written are pretty vague about what exactly went on. It sounds like Pearson might have looked the other way while associates of the program were being oafish and shady.

Here is a story that has a link to the whole report if anyone is interested.
It was my understanding there would be no math in the debates.
DelHowLich

Hail to the victors!
Pop Zeus

Sounds like a whole lot of nothing.
My guess is there's another power struggle in the AD
Wizard of Corsica

Pop Zeus wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:47 am Sounds like a whole lot of nothing.
Internal politics is one element for sure, although it is hard to believe U-M would let Pearson go over nothing, the team he assembled last season arguably had a better pedigree than the Wings.

But something does not add up.

It should be noted Pearson is not being fired, his contract simply has expired without being renewed.
It was my understanding there would be no math in the debates.
_sg_

Pop Zeus wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:47 am Sounds like a whole lot of nothing.
based on internet, maybe the divide was at a higher level. the board voted 8-0 to not renew him, though i don't know exactly what that means or who gets the final say.

I don't really follow UM hockey, but with the USDP right in their backyard, they're probably thinking someone else could do what he's doing now.
winged wheel

They had the report back in May. The board wanted him gone then but the AD wanted to extend his contract. They let it sit until now when they had to act, the AD still wanted to extend him a few days ago, but apparently the board won.

Steve Shields, their former goalie coach, raised concerns with Pearson about lying on Covid contact tracing forms. Pearson disagreed and fired him, which surprised me because they’ve had a long relationship. Shields was a volunteer goalie coach when Mel was up here at Michigan Tech and obviously Pearson recruited him to Michigan back when he played. Shields filed a formal complaint which got all kinds of attention.

There was also issue of goaltender Strauss Mann. He was a co-captain who left the program after his junior season following a huge shouting match with Pearson. Not sure what the specifics were but it doesn’t bode well.

There were some other issues too but I can’t remember now, apparently Pearson repeatedly lied during the investigation. That’s from listening to the reporter who first covered this on the Huge Show yesterday.
Machine

Pop Zeus

Isn't Naurato the guy who started the hockey gyms everywhere?