Teams over the cap or close to it

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
dcz28

Teams over the cap or close to it

Post by dcz28 »

Tampa cleared some cap space by moving Mcdonagh but are still 933K over the cap. Palat and Rutta still need to be signed. It is possible they might have a handshake deal with them to sign them once they put Seabrook on LTIR.

Leafs and Oilers already paid to clear some cap space by dumping Mrazek and Kassian respectively at the draft. They might be ok for now with the cap to ice a full roster and get their goalies.

One that i thought would have done something by now is Vegas. 2.6 million over the cap for 16 players. They do have the Weber contract to put on LTIR but that won't be enough to sign all the players they have to sign and get under the cap. They reportedly have a handshake deal with Reilly Smith (i would imagine close to the 5 mil per he was making) so they still need to shed some money to be cap compliant and ice a full roster. Soon the UFA market opens and a lot of teams will spend their cap space. That will mean the options for Vegas to lose salary will likely dwindle pretty fast and whatever leverage they might have in negotiating a deal will dwindle along with it unless they are banking on teams that miss out on UFAs see some of the players they might want to move as a backup plan. Center William Karlsson is a name that has been mentioned in trade rumors and with a 5.9 mil cap hit for 5 season and the fact his numbers dipped last season, he is probably the guy they might want to trade the most to make cap space. Other names that come up are Martinez and there have been mentions of Theodore and Hague.

Flyers are only under the cap by 118K for 19 players. Ellis might not be ready to start the season so could be a LTIR option but they might still have to shed some cap space to sign everyone. James Van Riemsdyk (7 mil cap hit only for this season) is the name most mention. Plenty of rumors about them signing Johnny Gaudreau as a UFA because he grew up a Flyers fan but they would need to shed significant salary to be able to fit him in and ice a full roster. Travis Konecny (5.5 mil for 3 seasons) is also a name mentioned. Provorov and Sanheim have also been mentioned but if they plan to compete, i don't think they can afford to lose either unless they get a cheaper defenseman back that can play in their top 4.

Florida is 774K under the cap for 19 players and have been said to be looking at ways to shed salary to sign some players. Bobrovsky has been mentioned with Florida retaining 50% salary and Weegar and his 3.25 mil cap hit is a name that has been linked to Ottawa (he is an Ottawa native and a RHD which they also want). I'm sure they would love to dump the last year of Hornqvist at 5.3 mil but he has a M-NTC with an 8 team no trade list and they would likely have to give something for someone to take him without retaining salary.

Montreal Petry still wants out of Montreal but given his age and contract, i can't see that many teams wanting him. Josh Anderson is a name that was mentioned before the draft but that was to get another top 10 pick. Hoffman, Dvorak, Armia, Drouin and Byron are all names mentioned but i can't see many teams being excited to add any of those guys aside maybe for Dvorak. They are 1.9 mil below the cap for 19 players so they don't need to clear a lot of space but for a team rebuilding, they likely don't want to be at the cap.

Vancouver 2.15 under the cap for 19 players but they do have Ferland to put on LTIR so they are not in bad shape this season. Next season J.T Miller and Bo Horvat are set to become UFAs so they are said to be looking to move salary out. They might move Miller out since he wants a big raise and they don't want to lose him for nothing. Other names mentioned are Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Tyler Myers but i doubt teams will be overjoyed at taking those contracts (OEL especially with how long it is).

Boston 2.383 mil under the cap with 22 players signed doesn't sound so bad at first glance but they have no top 6 center on the team. If Bergeron comes back (unless he signs a cheap 1 mil deal which i don't think he will) they would need to clear up cap space. They need to clear even more if they want Bergeron back and take a run at Kadri, Trocheck or Malkin. There are rumors that maybe Krejci might come back but i doubt both Bergeron and Krejci would both sign to fit under 2 million of cap space. They will have plenty of guys on LTIR to start the season but those guys will come back at some point during the season.

Aside from Sanheim/Provorov from the Flyers and Martinez/Theodore/Hague from Vegas (maybe Karlsson if the Wings strike out for center on the UFA market), there isn't much there that i would want the Wings to trade for unless they are getting picks/prospects to take someone on a short 1 or 2 year deal.