Seider wins!!

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
wyrrlen

Re: Seider wins!!

Post by wyrrlen »

We probably won't see a Wing win the newish Rocket Richard trophy until Ovechkin learns to share with the rest of the league.

(Not counting that the trophy does allow ties in a year.)

Fil Zaronek

Post by Fil Zaronek »

dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

Funny now to see the initial reactions from people watching the draft and declaring the Wings losers for drafting Seider. I hadn't followed the draft that closely and mostly just focused on players that were said to be top picks so i didn't know anything about Seider and was expecting them to maybe draft Dach, Cozens, Byram or Zegras... Seider was not even on my radar at all so when they drafted him i was like who?

Duke

Post by Duke »

dcz28 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:15 pm Funny now to see the initial reactions from people watching the draft and declaring the Wings losers for drafting Seider. I hadn't followed the draft that closely and mostly just focused on players that were said to be top picks so i didn't know anything about Seider and was expecting them to maybe draft Dach, Cozens, Byram or Zegras... Seider was not even on my radar at all so when they drafted him i was like who?
When they walked to the podium, all I wanted to hear them say was, “Trevor Zegras.” My jaw absolutely hit the floor when SY called Seider’s name. Unlike a lot of people, though, I made sure not to start with any negativity or bad comments, because I didn’t know anything about Seider and figured there was a good reason why they made that decision. I watched a lot of GR his first season there and he quickly became my favorite prospect in the system. And now that he’s established himself in the NHL, he’s become my favorite player on the team to watch. Sure glad I didn’t jump on the “bash the Seider pick” train, ‘cause there are a ton of people eating crow now. 🤣
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

Duke wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:19 pm
dcz28 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:15 pm Funny now to see the initial reactions from people watching the draft and declaring the Wings losers for drafting Seider. I hadn't followed the draft that closely and mostly just focused on players that were said to be top picks so i didn't know anything about Seider and was expecting them to maybe draft Dach, Cozens, Byram or Zegras... Seider was not even on my radar at all so when they drafted him i was like who?
When they walked to the podium, all I wanted to hear them say was, “Trevor Zegras.” My jaw absolutely hit the floor when SY called Seider’s name. Unlike a lot of people, though, I made sure not to start with any negativity or bad comments, because I didn’t know anything about Seider and figured there was a good reason why they made that decision. I watched a lot of GR his first season there and he quickly became my favorite prospect in the system. And now that he’s established himself in the NHL, he’s become my favorite player on the team to watch. Sure glad I didn’t jump on the “bash the Seider pick” train, ‘cause there are a ton of people eating crow now. 🤣
Yeah once Dach and Byram were gone, i was expecting a center to be picked, most likely Zegras or Cozens. It did concern me a bit when people were saying the offensive potential with Seider was very low but that was because his German team wanted strictly defense out of him. Credit to him though since we've seen plenty of offensive Wings prospects turn to complete crap when asked to work strictly on their defensive game. Most don't get much better defensively and their offense becomes non existent. Seider just got better at both ends after that. Despite the up and down season for the Wings, Seider did make watching the Wings much more enjoyable...not in the same way Datsyuk use to but not that far off.
Fil Zaronek

Post by Fil Zaronek »

Duke wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:19 pm
I was at my sister's scrolling through the guide on the TV and tuned into a Germany-USA WC in progress while Seider made a nice play against NHLers and the announcers were talking about him. I wouldn't normally watch a Germany-USA pre-tournament game but was intrigued. He impressed the rest of the game. I watched Germany in a couple of other games and Seider looked like a kid that could step right in and play against NHLers. I figured his stock must have risen significantly. I still wanted Zegras but figured that he probably would not be available at 6 and Seider was my other guy. I thought they may trade down to get him (there were rumours about a trade with Van or EDM) but was concerned that by doing so might not end up with either. When Zegras wasn't picked in the top 5, I was certain that we would pick him but wasn't disappointed because we got Mo. If we had picked anyone else, including Dach, Byram and Turcotte, I would have been disappointed.
Got to figure that fans, draft prognosticators and experts didn't watch Germany in the 2019 WC because so many were shocked by the pick,.
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

I wasn’t thrilled with the pick and although I’m thrilled with the outcome, not 100% convinced the team would not be in better shape with Zegras. I also think we could have dropped back 2-3 spots and still landed Seider. At any rate the pick has absolutely proven to be a great pick, well worth it at the spot it was made, but we still may have done better trading down. Of course I have no idea if we had a dance partner either.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

holytoledo wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:28 pm I wasn’t thrilled with the pick and although I’m thrilled with the outcome, not 100% convinced the team would not be in better shape with Zegras. I also think we could have dropped back 2-3 spots and still landed Seider. At any rate the pick has absolutely proven to be a great pick, well worth it at the spot it was made, but we still may have done better trading down. Of course I have no idea if we had a dance partner either.
I did hear somewhere that Yzerman looked into trading down but couldn't find anything that made sense or something like that. There were also rumors that Holland might have taken him 2 picks later if Yzerman hadn't taken him. They did draft Broberg and Yzerman at that point still had all of Hollands draft crew and hadn't brought in his own. It's very likely Holland knew all about Seider and how much the Wings wanted him unless Yzerman went against the scouts and head of draft guy and made the pick on his own. Who knows maybe Yzerman tried to trade down with Holland with an agreement they wouldn't take Seider and Holland said no...if that happened then Yzerman would know he can't trade back if he really wants Seider or Holland would probably take him.

Zegras would have helped the offense for sure but the defense without Seider would probably have been the worst in the NHL. The goals and points difference between Suter and Zegras was only 8 goals and 25 points. The difference between Seider and whatever plug they would have put into the lineup would have been much greater i think not even thinking about the defensive side. Then again maybe with Zegras and without Seider, the Wings would be drafting much higher in this draft and have a shot at drafting Wright, Jiricek, Nemec or Cooley (still technically possible if one falls to them but less likely at 8th).
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

dcz28 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:22 pm
holytoledo wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:28 pm I wasn’t thrilled with the pick and although I’m thrilled with the outcome, not 100% convinced the team would not be in better shape with Zegras. I also think we could have dropped back 2-3 spots and still landed Seider. At any rate the pick has absolutely proven to be a great pick, well worth it at the spot it was made, but we still may have done better trading down. Of course I have no idea if we had a dance partner either.
I did hear somewhere that Yzerman looked into trading down but couldn't find anything that made sense or something like that. There were also rumors that Holland might have taken him 2 picks later if Yzerman hadn't taken him. They did draft Broberg and Yzerman at that point still had all of Hollands draft crew and hadn't brought in his own. It's very likely Holland knew all about Seider and how much the Wings wanted him unless Yzerman went against the scouts and head of draft guy and made the pick on his own. Who knows maybe Yzerman tried to trade down with Holland with an agreement they wouldn't take Seider and Holland said no...if that happened then Yzerman would know he can't trade back if he really wants Seider or Holland would probably take him.

Zegras would have helped the offense for sure but the defense without Seider would probably have been the worst in the NHL. The goals and points difference between Suter and Zegras was only 8 goals and 25 points. The difference between Seider and whatever plug they would have put into the lineup would have been much greater i think not even thinking about the defensive side. Then again maybe with Zegras and without Seider, the Wings would be drafting much higher in this draft and have a shot at drafting Wright, Jiricek, Nemec or Cooley (still technically possible if one falls to them but less likely at 8th).
I don’t really care about last year’s results. Looking at the longer term picture it’s really more about would we be better with Seider + Edvinsson or Zegras + Edvinsson. I do think that with already having Larkin the glaring need last year was much more at 1D than at a 1b center or a 2c. Zegras would have helped our offense for sure, we we would have had no D to get them the puck. We probably have a top 3 pick this year if we had Zegras instead of Seider.

At any rate, both Seider and Raymond have turned out to be phenomenal picks and both fill organizational needs. I do hope we hit on a C this year, but we have a lot of needs and can’t fix this team with just a couple drafts. This will be draft 4 for Stevie and there’s light at the end of the tunnel. We’re mostly where we should be.
Resmo112

Post by Resmo112 »

holytoledo wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:23 am
dcz28 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:22 pm

I don’t really care about last year’s results. Looking at the longer term picture it’s really more about would we be better with Seider + Edvinsson or Zegras + Edvinsson. I do think that with already having Larkin the glaring need last year was much more at 1D than at a 1b center or a 2c. Zegras would have helped our offense for sure, we we would have had no D to get them the puck. We probably have a top 3 pick this year if we had Zegras instead of Seider.

At any rate, both Seider and Raymond have turned out to be phenomenal picks and both fill organizational needs. I do hope we hit on a C this year, but we have a lot of needs and can’t fix this team with just a couple drafts. This will be draft 4 for Stevie and there’s light at the end of the tunnel. We’re mostly where we should be.
In theory we got a top 3 player in that draft, I'd actually argue right now Seider and Zegras are the top 2 players from that draft right now. Kakko is looking to be a bust, and Hughes is fine but in his 3rd? season he's producing less than Zegras