Kaapo Kakko on the trade block?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Zattaman

Re: Kaapo Kakko on the trade block?

Post by Zattaman »

holytoledo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:11 pm
Resmo112 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 am
DocBrown wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:37 am

I would throw Heiskanen in that category also. He was picked high and not all-world but is definitely a good D man.
its all on how you define disappoitnment. I mean he's a top 5 player from the first round of that draft, but you look at who was taken around him...he's clearly the worst of those 5.
D men take longer. I would expect that if Klingberg moves on Heiskanen's #''s are going to go up considerably. He's a top 4 d-man and 2017 was a pretty shitty draft. Obviously in hindsight though, they'd rather have Makar, so that would make Heiskanen a pretty big disappointment from a comparison standpoint.
I don't think Heiskanen's numbers will go up that much. He's already been playing on the PP and gets over 24 min per game total ice time.

Klingberg is just a different player. He's always benefited from offensive zone starts (over 60%), he doesn't kill penalties, and, frankly, he's not a good defensive player like Heiskanen. There's a reason why Heiskanen got a massive 8+M deal, while Klingberg will be shopping for a new house in July.

To me, these two is like comparing Hronek to Seider. Yes, we'd miss Hronek's production. But, Seider is clearly a better overall player.

holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

Zattaman wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:44 pm
holytoledo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:11 pm
Resmo112 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 am

its all on how you define disappoitnment. I mean he's a top 5 player from the first round of that draft, but you look at who was taken around him...he's clearly the worst of those 5.
D men take longer. I would expect that if Klingberg moves on Heiskanen's #''s are going to go up considerably. He's a top 4 d-man and 2017 was a pretty shitty draft. Obviously in hindsight though, they'd rather have Makar, so that would make Heiskanen a pretty big disappointment from a comparison standpoint.
I don't think Heiskanen's numbers will go up that much. He's already been playing on the PP and gets over 24 min per game total ice time.

Klingberg is just a different player. He's always benefited from offensive zone starts (over 60%), he doesn't kill penalties, and, frankly, he's not a good defensive player like Heiskanen. There's a reason why Heiskanen got a massive 8+M deal, while Klingberg will be shopping for a new house in July.

To me, these two is like comparing Hronek to Seider. Yes, we'd miss Hronek's production. But, Seider is clearly a better overall player.
Agree. He’s a stud and hasn’t hit his prime yet.
attica

Post by attica »

id be more inclined to take a bit of a wait and see approach before trading some of our younger "disappointments". guys like zadina veleno and rasmussen may thrive under a new coach and or system. with guys liek seider and hronek getting a year older and maybe edvinsson give them more back end support we could end up selling very low on them. Maybe they dont get much better, and im not putting it all on blash either. But i think its worth at least exploring.
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

attica wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:41 pm id be more inclined to take a bit of a wait and see approach before trading some of our younger "disappointments". guys like zadina veleno and rasmussen may thrive under a new coach and or system. with guys liek seider and hronek getting a year older and maybe edvinsson give them more back end support we could end up selling very low on them. Maybe they dont get much better, and im not putting it all on blash either. But i think its worth at least exploring.
All depends on the return. As much as I don’t like Liiga, I’d trade Zadina for Kakko in a second. I think I like Zadina better than most here, but Kakko has more upside and is playing behind more talented players.
DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

Speaking of trades, from TheScore...... Looks like Habs up against the cap.....

The Dallas Stars and Detroit Red Wings are among a handful of teams who have inquired about the availability of Montreal Canadiens blue-liner Jeff Petry, TSN's Pierre LeBrun reported on Friday's edition of "Insider Trading."

"(The) Dallas Stars are a team that has some interest in Jeff Petry, especially if they can't re-sign pending UFA John Klingberg," LeBrun said. "I can tell you right now there have been not been any talks with Klingberg of late. It looks like he's headed to the UFA market."

LeBrun continued: "I'm told Detroit is also a possible destination. Five or six teams have talked to Montreal recently about him."
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
JimIsJustPlainOld

Post by JimIsJustPlainOld »

DocBrown wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:48 pm Speaking of trades, from TheScore...... Looks like Habs up against the cap.....

The Dallas Stars and Detroit Red Wings are among a handful of teams who have inquired about the availability of Montreal Canadiens blue-liner Jeff Petry, TSN's Pierre LeBrun reported on Friday's edition of "Insider Trading."

"(The) Dallas Stars are a team that has some interest in Jeff Petry, especially if they can't re-sign pending UFA John Klingberg," LeBrun said. "I can tell you right now there have been not been any talks with Klingberg of late. It looks like he's headed to the UFA market."

LeBrun continued: "I'm told Detroit is also a possible destination. Five or six teams have talked to Montreal recently about him."
I'm pretty sure Petry's Dad would love for him to come home and play. Plus, we wouldn't have to see Dan Petry wearing a Canadien's sweater anymore to show support for his boy.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

DocBrown wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:48 pm Speaking of trades, from TheScore...... Looks like Habs up against the cap.....

I hope this is just media crap because he's from Michigan so the Wings have to be interested bs. Why would the Wings waste 20 million over the next 3 years (8mil of it signing bonuses) on a 34 (will be 35 in Dec) year old RHD? Unless he comes with a top prospect or 1st round pick (something the GM said he won't do) why even bother. Better off throwing that money at Trocheck (or even Malkin) since they would actually fill a need or trade for a younger LHD or center...something they actually need. Unless they want to swap Petry and the 1st overall for Hronek and the 8th overall which i don't think they want to do since the draft is in Montreal and they have the 1st pick, i just don't see the point of this at all.
Fil Zaronek

Post by Fil Zaronek »

Fil Zaronek wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:20 pm
cska91 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:02 pm https://octopusthrower.com/2022/06/13/r ... apo-kakko/

Kakko is a really interesting option for the Wings. His development in New York has kind of stalled, but he is still only 21 years old. I don't think I would trade a first rounder and Zadina for him, but I would definitely swap Zadina for Kakko.
Kakko has 58 points in 157 games and Zadina has 61 in 160 but Kakko is a year younger
I only brought it up because they are suggested in a trade proposal and their numbers are so similar so far. Of course being a year younger is a huge factor. A change of scenery would probably benefit them both (although the coaching change in Detroit will provide that to a lesser degree of course). I doubt the Rags would be interested in Z but if they were, what else would it require to make a deal? If it was a 2nd and Z, I would go for it.
Machine

Post by Machine »

dcz28 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:20 am

I hope this is just media crap because he's from Michigan so the Wings have to be interested bs. Why would the Wings waste 20 million over the next 3 years (8mil of it signing bonuses) on a 34 (will be 35 in Dec) year old RHD? Unless he comes with a top prospect or 1st round pick (something the GM said he won't do) why even bother. Better off throwing that money at Trocheck (or even Malkin) since they would actually fill a need or trade for a younger LHD or center...something they actually need. Unless they want to swap Petry and the 1st overall for Hronek and the 8th overall which i don't think they want to do since the draft is in Montreal and they have the 1st pick, i just don't see the point of this at all.
I’d do that swap otherwise No to Petry