Boston fires Cassidy, hires Blashill?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
dcz28

Re: Boston fires Cassidy, hires Blashill?

Post by dcz28 »

holytoledo wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:02 pm
dcz28 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:00 pm
holytoledo wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:52 pm

IDK

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Raymond
Vrana - Suter - Berggren
Soderblom - Rasmussen - Sundquist
Fabbri - Veleno - Zadina
Smith

Edvinsson - Seider
Johansson - Hronek
Staal - Lindstrom
Oesterle

That D could really struggle and after the first line we’re still very weak down the middle.
I have a hard time seeing both Johansson and Edvinsson making the team. That being said, how much worst could they possibly over DeKeyser playing top pair minutes? Or Leddy for that matter? If anything, they should at least be able to move the puck better than DeKeyser and might generate a bit more offense. Even if they struggle defensively, it's not like DeKeyser and Leddy were actually good defensively either.

The center position would still be weak just like this season was but a healthy Vrana sure could help a bit with some offense if he can keep up the pace he has had when he has played. Wings would have a bit more scoring depth than this season even without adding a 2nd line center.

The final thing is the coach. I've made it no secret of how bad i thought Blashill and his systems were so unless the next coach brings in equally bad systems, we should see some improvements with the team even if the pressing needs at C and LD aren't addressed with UFAs or trades and they just go with prospects.

Arizona is sure to be a bottom feeder again. Montreal, Seattle, Philly and Chicago too. The next tier of teams you have Devils, Buffalo, Ottawa, Ducks, Jackets, Sharks and the Wings. This tier could see some teams get better, stay the same or worst...hard to predict since most are young building teams aside from the Sharks. Then you have teams like Islanders, Jets, Vancouver and Vegas who could get better or get worst. The others look like they might be playoff teams but some might fall and have a bad season (or regress if they lose key players like Nashville with Forsberg or Boston without Bergeron). Boston might also start the season missing a bunch of key players and with a new coach who knows. So yeah i could see the Wings out of the top 10 draft even with that roster especially considering they finished 8th worst this season. I just think the time for the Wings getting top 5 picks is now over and if you have no shot at the top players in the draft, you might as well be as competitive as possible so the young players can learn to win and not be dejected by constant losing. I expect Yzerman to try and improve this roster this summer and not just wait on prospects to fill holes.
I’m totally fine going with that roster and seeing what happens. Just based on the teams you mentioned, I think there’s still a good chance they finish bottom 5. If they don’t, so be it. I don’t see an LD on the market I’d want more than Johansson on the team next year. If we can get Trocheck, Copp or some other actual 2C fine, but I don’t want another marginal placeholder there. Hell maybe #8 actually makes the team. Kasper is fairly close to ready.
The only UFA LD i want is Zadorov. Big, mobile, physical and mean defensive defenseman. I think the Wings need another beside Seider that can play a nasty physical game. Plus i think he would be good to pair with Hronek. I think a pairing of Hronek and Johansson would be horrible defensively. Seider and Edvinsson would probably be fine due to Seider. Hronek needs a solid stay at home type and Zadorov would fit the bill perfectly. Johansson (if he makes the team) would likely be fine with Lindstrom to provide offense from that pairing and play sheltered minutes.

I agree, i don't want another Pius Suter/Filppula/Nielsen experiment at center again. Either get a proven 2C or don't bother. I'm not really sold on Copp as a 2C though. He was mainly a 3C for the Jets and i think has mostly played wing for the Rangers. We'll see what happens in the draft but my expectation is that whoever we get is likely a year or more away. Yzerman doesn't have a track record of rushing drafted players right into the NHL.

holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

dcz28 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:53 pm The only UFA LD i want is Zadorov. Big, mobile, physical and mean defensive defenseman. I think the Wings need another beside Seider that can play a nasty physical game. Plus i think he would be good to pair with Hronek. I think a pairing of Hronek and Johansson would be horrible defensively. Seider and Edvinsson would probably be fine due to Seider. Hronek needs a solid stay at home type and Zadorov would fit the bill perfectly. Johansson (if he makes the team) would likely be fine with Lindstrom to provide offense from that pairing and play sheltered minutes.

I agree, i don't want another Pius Suter/Filppula/Nielsen experiment at center again. Either get a proven 2C or don't bother. I'm not really sold on Copp as a 2C though. He was mainly a 3C for the Jets and i think has mostly played wing for the Rangers. We'll see what happens in the draft but my expectation is that whoever we get is likely a year or more away. Yzerman doesn't have a track record of rushing drafted players right into the NHL.
Not really a fan of Zadarov unless he'll take a 2 year or shorter deal. IMO we have too many D in the system that could pass him by then. Adding let's just say Zadarov & Trochek has us looking something like:

Bert - Larkin - Raymond
Vrana - Trochek - Berggren
Fabbri - Rasmussen - Zadina
Erne - Sundqvist - Veleno
Smith

Zadarov - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
McIsaac/Staal - Lindstrom
Oesterle

My concern is that this team finishes at like 86-94 points, which pushes our pick back into the teens. Zadarov is probably a bottom pairing D on a contender and Trochek is probably a winger/3C on a contender. As much as I want a legit 2C, I don't want to add players that lock us into mediocrity.

I'd rather trade something like Zadina for Monahan and a first. If Monahan bounces back, we've got our 2C, if he doesn't we've probably still got a top 10 pick and another first.

On D, I'd just bring back Staal and if Johansson makes the team let Oesterle ride the pine.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

holytoledo wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:34 pm
dcz28 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:53 pm The only UFA LD i want is Zadorov. Big, mobile, physical and mean defensive defenseman. I think the Wings need another beside Seider that can play a nasty physical game. Plus i think he would be good to pair with Hronek. I think a pairing of Hronek and Johansson would be horrible defensively. Seider and Edvinsson would probably be fine due to Seider. Hronek needs a solid stay at home type and Zadorov would fit the bill perfectly. Johansson (if he makes the team) would likely be fine with Lindstrom to provide offense from that pairing and play sheltered minutes.

Not really a fan of Zadarov unless he'll take a 2 year or shorter deal. IMO we have too many D in the system that could pass him by then. Adding let's just say Zadarov & Trochek has us looking something like:

Bert - Larkin - Raymond
Smith

Zadarov - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
Oesterle

My concern is that this team finishes at like 86-94 points, which pushes our pick back into the teens. Zadarov is probably a bottom pairing D on a contender and Trochek is probably a winger/3C on a contender. As much as I want a legit 2C, I don't want to add players that lock us into mediocrity.

I'd rather trade something like Zadina for Monahan and a first. If Monahan bounces back, we've got our 2C, if he doesn't we've probably still got a top 10 pick and another first.

On D, I'd just bring back Staal and if Johansson makes the team let Oesterle ride the pine.
Well Zadorov was a top 4 on the 6th best team in the NHL and Trocheck was a 2nd line center on the 3rd best team in the NHL. I think they have proven they can log that ice time and play well enough to earn those spots. None of the Wings prospects on defense really project to play like Zadorov so i think he would be good for 2 or 3 years even if he ends up on the bottom pairing by the end of it. For all we know both Edvinsson and Johansson might not even be ready for the NHL this season. I like both those kids but they are unknown at this point in N.A hockey let alone the NHL. If they aren't NHL ready then this defense if going to be garbage again if you put all your eggs in those baskets. Personally i would love to get Connor Bedard or Matvei Michkov but we all know how the lottery goes and i'm not interested in tanking anymore. This team has sucked for long enough. They should be fighting for a playoff spot and Yzerman should be giving this team a chance but if things happen and they still end up in the lottery then fine, i can accept that. Yzerman does need to give this team a chance this summer though by fixing the defense and the 2nd line center position.

I'm not against Monahan IF the Wings strike out in the UFA market. I doubt Calgary gives a 1st next year (they don't have one this year) to get rid of 1 year of Monahan. He also has a 10 team NTC which could complicate trading him. His contract is similar to Staal so i would think the price would be a 2nd round pick.
winged wheel

Post by winged wheel »

JimIsJustPlainOld

Post by JimIsJustPlainOld »

Red Wings Feed says Wings also interviewed David Quinn. Also, that Blashill could possibly join the Panthers in some coaching capacity. And Sportsnet Jeff Marek says he believes Pete DeBoer will be the next coach of the Dallas Stars.
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

dcz28 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:58 pm
holytoledo wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:34 pm

Bert - Larkin - Raymond
Smith

Zadarov - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
Oesterle

Well Zadorov was a top 4 on the 6th best team in the NHL and Trocheck was a 2nd line center on the 3rd best team in the NHL. I think they have proven they can log that ice time and play well enough to earn those spots. None of the Wings prospects on defense really project to play like Zadorov so i think he would be good for 2 or 3 years even if he ends up on the bottom pairing by the end of it. For all we know both Edvinsson and Johansson might not even be ready for the NHL this season. I like both those kids but they are unknown at this point in N.A hockey let alone the NHL. If they aren't NHL ready then this defense if going to be garbage again if you put all your eggs in those baskets. Personally i would love to get Connor Bedard or Matvei Michkov but we all know how the lottery goes and i'm not interested in tanking anymore. This team has sucked for long enough. They should be fighting for a playoff spot and Yzerman should be giving this team a chance but if things happen and they still end up in the lottery then fine, i can accept that. Yzerman does need to give this team a chance this summer though by fixing the defense and the 2nd line center position.

I'm not against Monahan IF the Wings strike out in the UFA market. I doubt Calgary gives a 1st next year (they don't have one this year) to get rid of 1 year of Monahan. He also has a 10 team NTC which could complicate trading him. His contract is similar to Staal so i would think the price would be a 2nd round pick.
Monahan makes a bit more than Staal and Calgary is up against the cap, I figure throwing in an RFA who could thrive with a fresh start that they can sign cheap would take that 2nd to a first.
attica

Post by attica »

quinn is interesting to me. I cant speak as much to his results, but i remember hearing him do an interview that was seemingly polar opposite of babs/blash saying he wanted the team to play way more possesion and way less dump/chip and chase as it doesnt make alot of sense when you have the puck to just give it away and hope you can win it back. Id really like to see this team get back to playing that style of hockey. with some of the younger defensemen on the team and coming maybe thats more of a reality. they all seem to handle and skate the puck pretty well as well as being able to make plays and join the rush. Not sure hes the guy, but i like the philosophy.
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

Well, scratch Cassidy off the list. He signed with the Las Vegas Knights of the Golden Shower.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

Zattaman wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:18 pm Well, scratch Cassidy off the list. He signed with the Las Vegas Knights of the Golden Shower.
On a sports radio station they said that Torts was meeting with the Flyers to talk about a contract. Seems like he very well could end up their next coach which is fine by me since i didn't want him in Detroit. He likes that collapsing shot blocking stupid defensive system just like Blashill was using so no thanks to more of that.
Wizard of Corsica

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

Seems too obvious to say, but at this point it's got to be someone on Tampa's organization, no?
Last edited by Wizard of Corsica on Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.