Boston fires Cassidy, hires Blashill?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
holytoledo

Re: Boston fires Cassidy, hires Blashill?

Post by holytoledo »

Wizard of Corsica wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:31 pm Seems too obvious to say, but at this point it's got to be someone on Tampa's staff, no?
I would be a fan of hiring Derek Lalonde

Wizard of Corsica

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

holytoledo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:35 pm
Wizard of Corsica wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:31 pm Seems too obvious to say, but at this point it's got to be someone on Tampa's staff, no?
Baldest. Staff. Ever.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

To be honest, i don't know anything about Derek Lalonde as a coach and i'm not saying i would be opposed to hiring him. The only thing that worries me about hiring someone like that is i remember how teams loved to steal Babcocks assistants back when the Wings won the cup and for a while after that. How many of those coaches that teams stole are still head coaches in the NHL? I remember some did ok early on but then they got fired and seemed to just disappear after that or go back to being an assistant coach. Like i said, i don't know squat about him as a coach and i would imagine Yzerman likely does, hopefully whoever he picks can bring good systems and manage to get the most out of what the Wings have.
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

dcz28 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:27 pm
To be honest, i don't know anything about Derek Lalonde as a coach and i'm not saying i would be opposed to hiring him. The only thing that worries me about hiring someone like that is i remember how teams loved to steal Babcocks assistants back when the Wings won the cup and for a while after that. How many of those coaches that teams stole are still head coaches in the NHL? I remember some did ok early on but then they got fired and seemed to just disappear after that or go back to being an assistant coach. Like i said, i don't know squat about him as a coach and i would imagine Yzerman likely does, hopefully whoever he picks can bring good systems and manage to get the most out of what the Wings have.
But when Lalonde coached the Walleye one of my buddies coached his kids in youth hockey and they are BFFs so I can probably score free tickets. What else really matters?
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

holytoledo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:00 pm
dcz28 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:27 pm

But when Lalonde coached the Walleye one of my buddies coached his kids in youth hockey and they are BFFs so I can probably score free tickets. What else really matters?
:lol: Lalonde it is then
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

dcz28 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:03 pm
Zattaman wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:18 pm Well, scratch Cassidy off the list. He signed with the Las Vegas Knights of the Golden Shower.
On a sports radio station they said that Torts was meeting with the Flyers to talk about a contract. Seems like he very well could end up their next coach which is fine by me since i didn't want him in Detroit. He likes that collapsing shot blocking stupid defensive system just like Blashill was using so no thanks to more of that.
Torts indeed signs with the Flyers.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

Seems like either Yzerman is waiting on Trotz to make a decision or HT might just be right and he's waiting for Tampa to be done to hire one of the assistants.

Kevin Allen seems to think they are probably waiting for Tampa to be done. He also thinks the Wings will likely sign another vet goalie...no mention of who they might go for though.
wings8

Post by wings8 »

Zattaman wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:04 pm
Nope. Tortorella signed with Fliers, 4 years deal.
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

wings8 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:16 pm
Zattaman wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:04 pm
Nope. Tortorella signed with Fliers, 4 years deal.
8-)
Tortorella (or "Torts" as he is sometimes called by the press and the fans)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tortorella
JimIsJustPlainOld

Post by JimIsJustPlainOld »

dcz28 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:13 pm Seems like either Yzerman is waiting on Trotz to make a decision or HT might just be right and he's waiting for Tampa to be done to hire one of the assistants.

Kevin Allen seems to think they are probably waiting for Tampa to be done. He also thinks the Wings will likely sign another vet goalie...no mention of who they might go for though.
Apparently, it's looking like Barry Trotz could be taking a front office job, rather than coach. I read he could've had the Flyers job if he wanted it, but told them he was going in a different direction. Now, he's bought a house in Nashville and I guess the Preds are being sold. He could be joining Nashville in their front office.