Boston fires Cassidy, hires Blashill?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
dcz28

Re: Boston fires Cassidy, hires Blashill?

Post by dcz28 »

JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:15 pm
dcz28 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:13 pm Seems like either Yzerman is waiting on Trotz to make a decision or HT might just be right and he's waiting for Tampa to be done to hire one of the assistants.

Kevin Allen seems to think they are probably waiting for Tampa to be done. He also thinks the Wings will likely sign another vet goalie...no mention of who they might go for though.
Apparently, it's looking like Barry Trotz could be taking a front office job, rather than coach. I read he could've had the Flyers job if he wanted it, but told them he was going in a different direction. Now, he's bought a house in Nashville and I guess the Preds are being sold. He could be joining Nashville in their front office.
Yeah i read about that. Seems like one of the Tampa assistants is going to ne the Wings next head coach. Also seems like that Russian UFA player Andre Kuzmenko might be making a decision soon on what NHL team to sign with. He apparently already met with Florida and maybe the Wings, met with the Oilers and will meet with the Canucks before making his decision. I'm not expecting him to pick Detroit given the choice to play on a good team like Florida, maybe playing with McDavid or Draisaitl on the Oilers or playing with his former linemate Vasily Podkolzin in Vancouver. Playing with Pius Suter (unless Yzerman plans to sign one of Trocheck, Malkin or Kadri) probably doesn't sound too exciting for a winger.

_sg_

Post by _sg_ »

If a tampa assistant is really to be the next coach, i'm sure Yzerman would have preferred tampa didn't get 6 games deep in the SCF.

I don't really know how much a coach is involved in the draft, but probably some. the draft is about 10 days away, with other off season stuff immediately following
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

_sg_ wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:09 am If a tampa assistant is really to be the next coach, i'm sure Yzerman would have preferred tampa didn't get 6 games deep in the SCF.

I don't really know how much a coach is involved in the draft, but probably some. the draft is about 10 days away, with other off season stuff immediately following
I don't think the coach is that involved in the draft aside from maybe attending to shake hands with the 1st round pick and take a picture. There is always a good chance the coach might not even coach there anymore by the time players drafted make it to the NHL so i would say their input into the draft is minimal at best unless they have coached some of the draft prospects previously in another league. When it comes to trades and UFAs then i'm sure the GM and coach have discussions about what type of players the coach feels he needs to be successful. I don't even think an assistant coach would have a lot of knowledge about which prospects Tampa is high on in this draft. I could be wrong but i don't think assistant coaches sit in on scouting meetings.

If Lalonde is the guy then it shouldn't take long before he is hired so Yzerman can have the roster conversations with him before UFA market opens. Good thing is Tampa doesn't have much in terms of UFAs in this crop. Palat being the biggest name and Tampa likely wants to keep him. If Lalonde really likes Nick Paul we might end up with him as a UFA given his age (27), size (6'3, 220 pounds), the fact he can play wing or center and that he might not cost a lot in salary or term.
_sg_

Post by _sg_ »

dcz28 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:09 pm
_sg_ wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:09 am If a tampa assistant is really to be the next coach, i'm sure Yzerman would have preferred tampa didn't get 6 games deep in the SCF.

I don't think the coach is that involved in the draft aside from maybe attending to shake hands with the 1st round pick and take a picture. There is always a good chance the coach might not even coach there anymore by the time players drafted make it to the NHL so i would say their input into the draft is minimal at best unless they have coached some of the draft prospects previously in another league. When it comes to trades and UFAs then i'm sure the GM and coach have discussions about what type of players the coach feels he needs to be successful. I don't even think an assistant coach would have a lot of knowledge about which prospects Tampa is high on in this draft. I could be wrong but i don't think assistant coaches sit in on scouting meetings.

If Lalonde is the guy then it shouldn't take long before he is hired so Yzerman can have the roster conversations with him before UFA market opens. Good thing is Tampa doesn't have much in terms of UFAs in this crop. Palat being the biggest name and Tampa likely wants to keep him. If Lalonde really likes Nick Paul we might end up with him as a UFA given his age (27), size (6'3, 220 pounds), the fact he can play wing or center and that he might not cost a lot in salary or term.
I heard some clips of his 97.1 interview this morning, and you're pretty much right. He said he has almost zero input on the draft, and very minimal input on UFAs - basically only a character reference.