Add Deboer to your list

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

Add Deboer to your list

Post by Pop Zeus »

Zattaman

Re: Add Deboer to your list

Post by Zattaman »

Nope. Seems everywhere DeBoer has coached, the team has declined.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

Zattaman wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:39 pm Nope. Seems everywhere DeBoer has coached, the team has declined.
Yeah not a fan of him.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

Zattaman wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:39 pm Nope. Seems everywhere DeBoer has coached, the team has declined.
Checking this.

Florida:
Before Deboer: .518
Deboer year 1: .567

New Jersey
Before Deboer: .494
Deboer Year 1: .622 (stanley cup final)

San Jose
Before Deboer: .543 no playoffs
Deboer Year 1: .598 (stanley cup final)

Vegas:
Before Deboer: .560
Deboer Year 1: .727 (conference finals)

Deboer brings instant improvement to every team he's taken over.

Doesn't seem able to sustain it.
But honestly, a lot of that has to be placed his front office staff.
Fil Zaronek

Post by Fil Zaronek »

He should have fired Blash when Gallant became available.
JimIsJustPlainOld

Post by JimIsJustPlainOld »

Speaking of other coaches. Why have the Panthers not made Andrew Brunette THE head coach. Guy still has the interim tag on him. I think he's done a masterful job with the Panthers since taking over for Quenneville 7 games into the season. Maybe if he wins Lord Stanley's Cup they'll make him THE coach. But if not, they might let him go and go after someone more higher profile, like Trotz or even bring DeBoer back for another run. Just seems like Brunette isn't getting the respect he deserves for the Panthers success.
kmac

Post by kmac »

I don't know about Deboer. To me, he seems to be in the same category as coaches like Torts and Gallant....they can coach, they can make a team better, but they wear out their welcome before they can get the team to the Promised Land. He might be just what the Red Wings need right now at this stage, though, who knows?

When it comes to coaches, my first choice would be Quenneville, but he is currently hanging on a cross being crucified for the Blackhawks sins. Hell, he might even deserve it, what do I know? Whatever the case, he is out of the running.

But what about Jim Montgomery? By all accounts I've read, he had a successful stint in rehab, is off the sauce and back in the coaching staff in Saint Louis, restarting his career after it blew up in Dallas. He has an impressive resume, but has he rehabilitated his image enough to rejoin the head coaching ranks? He is actually my first choice and the first guy I would call if I was the GM. Which I'm not.

So who is out there? Trotz? Maybe. I guess it wouldn't piss me off. Any assistant coaches or college guys ready to step up? And all this talk of bringing over European, especially Russian, coaches just seems weird to me. Bringing Russians over at this point is high problematic, and I don't feel like Euro coaches would be more than an experiment at this point, and I don't think the Wings are in a place where experimenting is helpful to the ultimate goal of becoming a contender again.
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

Trotz tops my list, personally. What he did with the Predators, Capitals, and especially the Islanders has me convinced he’d turn this team around sooner than later.
Machine

Post by Machine »

I still think Yzerman is going with another “unknown”