My God, The Leafs and Their Fans Have No Idea

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

My God, The Leafs and Their Fans Have No Idea

Post by Pop Zeus »

All these post-series comments from fans, media and players.
"We're so close."

Buddy, you won 3 games.
It takes 16.

dcz28

Re: My God, The Leafs and Their Fans Have No Idea

Post by dcz28 »

Yeah that is pretty funny given they haven't won a playoff series since 2004. Add the fact they have no cap space, almost no draft picks and very little in terms of prospects. Sure go ahead and just change a few 3rd and 4th line players and the outcome will be much different next playoffs. Didn't help that none of their top players took a bit of a discount (like Tampa) to help the team be able to add depth. Tavares wanted to play so bad for them that they had to pay him 11 mil a year and pretty much all in signing bonuses.
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

dcz28 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:23 pm Yeah that is pretty funny given they haven't won a playoff series since 2004. Add the fact they have no cap space, almost no draft picks and very little in terms of prospects. Sure go ahead and just change a few 3rd and 4th line players and the outcome will be much different next playoffs. Didn't help that none of their top players took a bit of a discount (like Tampa) to help the team be able to add depth. Tavares wanted to play so bad for them that they had to pay him 11 mil a year and pretty much all in signing bonuses.
Seems like the Pens have been the only team that's really been successful at building up a really good supporting cast around their stars once their stars make big $. I might be wrong, but Chicago seems to have basically fallen out of contention once the 10.5 mil deals for Kane & Toews kicked in. Maybe they won one more cup after that.

I remember when Shahanan's scorched earth policy was being touted as the model for a rebuild. They haven't gotten out of the first round since he's been there.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

holytoledo wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:54 pm
dcz28 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:23 pm Yeah that is pretty funny given they haven't won a playoff series since 2004. Add the fact they have no cap space, almost no draft picks and very little in terms of prospects. Sure go ahead and just change a few 3rd and 4th line players and the outcome will be much different next playoffs. Didn't help that none of their top players took a bit of a discount (like Tampa) to help the team be able to add depth. Tavares wanted to play so bad for them that they had to pay him 11 mil a year and pretty much all in signing bonuses.
Seems like the Pens have been the only team that's really been successful at building up a really good supporting cast around their stars once their stars make big $. I might be wrong, but Chicago seems to have basically fallen out of contention once the 10.5 mil deals for Kane & Toews kicked in. Maybe they won one more cup after that.

I remember when Shahanan's scorched earth policy was being touted as the model for a rebuild. They haven't gotten out of the first round since he's been there.
Yeah, i think you might be right about that. Pens Crosby, Malkin and Letang were also smart enough to take a bit less than what they could get so the team could add some depth. None of them made 10 mil a season. Malkin at 9.5 mil, Crosby 8.7 mil and Letang at 7.25 mil. Leafs having 5 players taking up 60% of their cap doesn't leave much for quality depth on a 23 man roster. For players that say they want to win a cup in Toronto, they didn't act like it when it came to their contracts. The Leafs only hope (if they keep Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander and Rielly is that the cap takes a massive jump up or that the GM can find enough depth pieces off the bargain bin or prospect that overachieve on entry level or cheap deals. Hard to expect any quality UFAs or players they need to re-sign to take less when the top players on the team weren't willing to do so.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

But even the Pens had to wait a few years for the cap to grow before they could surround Malkin and Crosby with new talent.
rangeredwing

Post by rangeredwing »

I believe the Minnesota Wild fans need to understand this as well....but they only won 2 games.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

rangeredwing wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:38 pm I believe the Minnesota Wild fans need to understand this as well....but they only won 2 games.
Wild fans have to know the next 3 seasons will be tough for them to be a cup contender. The dead cap space from the Parise and Suter buyouts are massive starting next season. 12.7 mil next season and 14.7 mil for the next two season of dead cap space is no joke.
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

dcz28 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:33 pm
rangeredwing wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:38 pm I believe the Minnesota Wild fans need to understand this as well....but they only won 2 games.
Wild fans have to know the next 3 seasons will be tough for them to be a cup contender. The dead cap space from the Parise and Suter buyouts are massive starting next season. 12.7 mil next season and 14.7 mil for the next two season of dead cap space is no joke.
Yep. They should be moving some of their older UFAs at the deadline and work towards getting pieces in place around Kaprisov and some of their other young talent.
kmac

Post by kmac »

I wonder how much of the Leafs salary issues relate to international economics. I remember some years back when Stamkos was hitting free agency and there was talk of him going to Toronto, and the financial dudes came out of the woodwork to point out that somebody in Toronto would have to make $11 million in salary in order to keep the same amount of actual cash as a $7 million salary in Florida would net you. Or something like that. So maybe those big money guys in Toronto aren't really taking home as much cash as their cap hits would suggest. Cuz taxes and Canada being a communist country and shit. Whatever, I still like to point and laugh, because Fuck You, Maple Leafs!
CoconutBackwards

Post by CoconutBackwards »

Canada is a communist country? :roll:
Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady