Mark Scheifele is supposedly available

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
cska91

Mark Scheifele is supposedly available

Post by cska91 »

Would the Wings consider picking up Scheifele as their #1 center, given his age and injury history? He'd be their top line center for a few years, if he stays healthy.

"It doesn't mean shit."
Andrew Copp
holytoledo

Re: Mark Scheifele is supposedly available

Post by holytoledo »

He’s got 2 years left at a very reasonable cap hit for his production. I don’t see a lot of risk with his contract, but at what cost?

Vrana - Scheifle - Fabbri
Bert - Larkin - Raymond
Zadina - Rasmussen - Veleno
Smith - Sundqvist - Erne

Johansson - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
Staal - Lindstrom
Oesterle

D is probably way too young to contend in the next 2 years. Let’s just say Suter & our first makes the deal. Would the D develop enough by year 2 to contend? Probably not. I think I’d rather draft a C this year.

Now if the Jets wanted something like Hanas, Wallinder, McIsaac and a 2nd and we kept our pick, then I’m in, but that effectively ends the rebuild. We’re looking at picking between maybe 14 & 20 for the next few years.

Could work. Could set us up for years of mediocrity. I’d probably do either deal. Not sure which I’d prefer, but probably the 2nd.

Not sure either is really in the ballpark.
cska91

Post by cska91 »

Not sure what the asking price is, but top line centers don't really become available very often and the Wings don't have one in their system. I guess it all depends on whether Yzerman wants to accelerate the rebuild. That may include picking up a decent D in FA.
"It doesn't mean shit."
Andrew Copp
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

Of course Yzerman should be interested. But, if I'm Winnipeg, I ask for:

- Seider
- Raymond
- Larkin
- Edvinsson + pick

I don't think they worry about cap, since they got 2 UFAs (5.7M) that are going to come off the books this summer. But, suppose they are -- maybe they'd settle for Rasmussen + Edvinsson.

Either way, none of those should be acceptable to Yzerman.
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

Zattaman wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:41 am Of course Yzerman should be interested. But, if I'm Winnipeg, I ask for:

- Seider
- Raymond
- Larkin
- Edvinsson + pick

I don't think they worry about cap, since they got 2 UFAs (5.7M) that are going to come off the books this summer. But, suppose they are -- maybe they'd settle for Rasmussen + Edvinsson.

Either way, none of those should be acceptable to Yzerman.
A year from now if Johansson and Edvinsson are both top 4 caliber D, Larkin & Bert are extended & one of Berggren, Zadina, Rasmussen or Veleno establishes himself as a top 6 forward, then I think we’re ready to make a deal for a player like that if he can be had for futures. Right now we’ve got too many holes that we need to plug unproven players into and moving any of our top assets to get a 29 year old C just doesn’t make much long term sense.

Of course if our core players in their primes want out in order to go to a contender, then there’s more to think about here. I’d trade Larkin & our 2nd for Scheifle and the Jets first. It’d
make the Jets younger and get us something like 2 of Gauthier, Casper, Lekkermaki, Geekie, etc.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

Schiefele seems a bit cancerous.