Blashill gone

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
kmac

Re: Blashill gone

Post by kmac »

I feel pretty positive about this development. Can you tell?

El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

KMAC IS ON FIRE!!!
JimIsJustPlainOld

Post by JimIsJustPlainOld »

From Hockey Feed, 3 potential replacements for Blashill. The third one a definite NO.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/3-i ... 2_9CulqqT4
EuroMan

Post by EuroMan »

JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:02 pm
EuroMan wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:41 pm This is the best news for our team in 5 years. I said it multiple times that the fact that Yzerman waited for such a long time is really grounds for firing him as well
You can piss off, cause you have no clue to what you're talking about.
All good reasonable points. Very impressive. Now can you go and get your mom please.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:23 pm From Hockey Feed, 3 potential replacements for Blashill. The third one a definite NO.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/3-i ... 2_9CulqqT4
Yeah, that's a hell no to Babcock. Plus he is still under contract by the Leafs for another year which would mean to hire him the Wings would likely have to pay him what the Leafs are paying him or else why would he do it if he's getting paid not to coach.

I wonder if Fedorov will be on Yzerman's list of candidates. There is also Joel Quennville but not sure enough time has passed for the bad press to forget about the Hawks debacle from 2010. Some have mentioned the head coach for Tampa's AHL team Benoit Groulx.

Darren McCarty seemed to think that Larionov would be the guy when he talked on the podcast (a month or so ago) about Blashill being replaced after this season. Given that i'm sure he still speaks to Draper and those guys, you would think Larionov will likely be on that list of candidates that might be interviewed for the job.
Machine

Post by Machine »

It’s going to be interesting to see if Yzerman continues with hiring a coach with no NHL experience like he has in the past or if he goes the other way
DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

Ain't gonna matter if next year consists of this year plus Edvinsson and Berggren and more Suter type signings. And we'll see that Blash in the equation is pretty irrelevant.
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

DocBrown wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:08 pm Ain't gonna matter if next year consists of this year plus Edvinsson and Berggren and more Suter type signings. And we'll see that Blash in the equation is pretty irrelevant.
I disagree. Even though they likely still wouldn't be a playoff team if Yzerman doesn't fix the 2nd line center and left side of the defense, i do think a new coach still could have a big impact. From the systems for 5 on 5 and PK, it could bring down the goals against average and possibly improve their transition game leading to more offense. There is also how players are used that could improve the teams performance.

The roster isn't perfect that's for sure but lets not act like Scotty Bowman in his prime couldn't have done better with this roster. Pretty sure there are coaches out there that could have done better with this roster that aren't even in Scotty's league when it comes to coaching just by implementing a better system, better player usage and better motivation for the team.

All that being said, i really hope Yzerman does fix those holes on the roster before the start of next season.
DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

The roster is awful. Truly pathetic. That's why I don't think the coach matters. Or scheme or starting on time, or the rest of it. When you fritter away draft picks year after year (pre-Y) there is a reckoning and it is here.
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

DocBrown wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:38 pm The roster is awful. Truly pathetic. That's why I don't think the coach matters. Or scheme or starting on time, or the rest of it. When you fritter away draft picks year after year (pre-Y) there is a reckoning and it is here.
The lack of talent and the lackadaisical effort and shitty systems don’t really go hand in hand.