Blashill gone

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
winged wheel

Re: Blashill gone

Post by winged wheel »

DocBrown wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:36 pm Inevitable. But the hostility toward him is puzzling. He was saddled with horrendous talent and I don't think there is anything you can do with the likes of Zadina, Ras, and the other crap he inherited. Good luck to him.
I had no problem with Blashill being the coach the last few seasons, and somebody had to coach the shitty rosters. I see this as a sign Yzerman wants to start making moves to become a playoff contender and wants a new coach in this phase of the rebuild.

JimIsJustPlainOld

Post by JimIsJustPlainOld »

Zattaman wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:20 pm Glad Salajko and Houda are gone as well.

PK and D usage need big improvements and so is goaltending preparation.

I'm not surprised Tanguay stays, since he was Yzerman's hire. But, I didn't see much improvement in our PP. I sincerely hope Yzerman doesn't decide to promote Tanguay to the head coach.
I was thinking the same thing. Supposedly Tanguay is considered head coaching material. But not yet, and not here.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

dcz28 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:48 pm
DocBrown wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:36 pm Inevitable. But the hostility toward him is puzzling. He was saddled with horrendous talent and I don't think there is anything you can do with the likes of Zadina, Ras, and the other crap he inherited. Good luck to him.
Sure he didn't have a lot of talent to work with but his choices of systems were horrible. Way too many times he talked about starting out strong after a loss and the team would come out flat the next game. Way too many issues that weren't about the lack of talent on the team.
^^^ THIS

And the issues you identified pre-dated this season.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

Blashill spent his first 4-5 years here killing young players.
Fuck him.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

El Jefe wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:11 pm
dcz28 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:48 pm
Sure he didn't have a lot of talent to work with but his choices of systems were horrible. Way too many times he talked about starting out strong after a loss and the team would come out flat the next game. Way too many issues that weren't about the lack of talent on the team.
^^^ THIS

And the issues you identified pre-dated this season.
All you have to do is look at teams like Nashville or Columbus that for years didn't have the talent level to compete with the good teams but did it with coaching and systems. Wings didn't have the talent but they shouldn't have been as bad as they were.

The roster has been improving but the results were still pretty bad. You watch games and you see how disorganized they are in the defensive zone and how teams can move around freely because they all collapse down low and nobody is sure who has who pretty quick. How often they have to just flip the puck out of the defensive zone because there is nobody to pass it to. The roster has changed but even players coming from winning teams end up looking lost in the defensive zone...did they suddenly forget how to cover their guy? No! It's that damn system that is garbage. The Sens pretty much play the same stupid defensive system and they have the same problems as the Wings. You allow the defense all day to make plays, teams to skate around your defensive zone untouched, the fact that because you collapse your players are always late to loose pucks along the boards and when they do finally get the puck there is nobody to pass it to because all your players are bunched together because of that collapsing system. That's why you get pucks flipped to center ice for the other team to come right back in and setup to attack again. When they do manage to get it out they are tired and just dump it in to change losing possession again and have to spend energy and work to get it back. That entire system is a joke imo.
kmac

Post by kmac »

Wizard of Corsica

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

Pop Zeus wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:30 pm Blashill spent his first 4-5 years here killing young players.
Fuck him.
hahaha bullshit. It was time for him to go, but the pipeline had been spewing garbage for 10 years until Yzerman got here, other than Larkin and Bertuzzi and that was 8-9 years ago now.
kmac

Post by kmac »

kmac

Post by kmac »

kmac

Post by kmac »

gettyimages-75554969.jpg
gettyimages-75554969.jpg (161.35 KiB) Viewed 1782 times