Larionov next Wings coach?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
dcz28

Larionov next Wings coach?

Post by dcz28 »

Would be interesting to get a different type of coaching with Igor. Yzerman does seem to be bringing back a lot of his teammates to the Wings in various positions. I'm not sure if he would be the right guy or not but at this point i'd be willing to see how it goes because the coaching staff the Wings have now just doesn't cut it. Wings not only need new systems but a new philosophy on how to play. Maybe Larionov could bring that just like the Russian five brought the puck possession to Detroit. Would be nice not to have to watch players flip the puck high into the air 100 times per game just to get it out of the zone but giving right to the opposing team to bring it right back in.

Like Dmac said, hopefully the Wings being close to a playoff spot (and the eventual collapse of being humiliated a bunch of times) has changed Yzerman's timeline about a coaching change and Yzerman is ready to bring someone else now instead of after next season. I guess we will see if this has any legs soon enough.

Resmo112

Re: Larionov next Wings coach?

Post by Resmo112 »

I've been speculating Sergei
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Hell, I'd take DMac for coach. FFS, put me in there.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

Resmo112 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:12 am I've been speculating Sergei
Maybe Larionov as head coach with Fedorov and Lidstrom as assistants? Or Fedorov as head coach with Larionov and Lidstrom as assistants? Lidstrom taking care of the defensemen, the defensive system and PK while Sergei and Igor take care of the forwards, offensive system and PP. That does sound like a great coaching staff on paper. How it would work in real life is unknown but one thing for sure is this team needs some new voices and systems to move forward.
Resmo112

Post by Resmo112 »

dcz28 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:53 am
Maybe Larionov as head coach with Fedorov and Lidstrom as assistants? Or Fedorov as head coach with Larionov and Lidstrom as assistants? Lidstrom taking care of the defensemen, the defensive system and PK while Sergei and Igor take care of the forwards, offensive system and PP. That does sound like a great coaching staff on paper. How it would work in real life is unknown but one thing for sure is this team needs some new voices and systems to move forward.
I don't know what Igor is doing, but I know Sergei is currently coaching in the KHL and from what I understand doing fairly well. last I looked he was like 25-14 I also don't know what other coaching exp he has, but he was an assistant in Bejing too? I donno, if it was all this easy I'd be doing it right?
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

Resmo112 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:12 am
dcz28 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:53 am
I don't know what Igor is doing, but I know Sergei is currently coaching in the KHL and from what I understand doing fairly well. last I looked he was like 25-14 I also don't know what other coaching exp he has, but he was an assistant in Bejing too? I donno, if it was all this easy I'd be doing it right?
Yeah Sergei seems to be more involved with managing and coaching than Igor. All i can find on Igor is that he was director of hockey operations for Russian powerhouse hockey club SKA Saint Petersburg for a couple of years and coached the 2021 WJC head coach for Russia. I think he might be coaching the Russian Olympic team, which is the reserve team of the senior national team. Igor seems to still be coaching, just not a team in a specific league i don't think. Not really sure how things work with Russian international teams.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

Some motherfucker posted that Blashill was fired this morning. I woke up and saw it and believed it for 20 seconds.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

It's funny how Dmac drifts in and out of making sense.
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

dmac believes the game plan is to burn the rest of this season and next behind blashill, then bring larionov (and possibly fedorov) behind the bench. that's a lot of blowouts to go through to get to there, but i've been on team larionov for years, so if the only reason blashill is still employed is to give larionov and fedorov time to tie up their loose ends, sure, i guess. but i haven't watched this team play the past few games cause my heart can't take these blowouts, and i probably won't be tuning in much next year either.
lilja4mvp

Post by lilja4mvp »

You think DMac ever got those cup rings back after selling them on ebay?