Looking at Potential Red Wings Trade Deadline Assets

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

Dylan Larkin
1 more year at $6.1M
We've already talked about. It's pretty insane unless the return is ridiculous. 4 first round picks in the 20-30 range, for example, don't really move the needle. Larkin, for all intents and purposes, is the kind of guy you envision when you draft in the top 5.
So some kind of Drysdale/Newhook+ could work. But Avs fans choke hard on that.
Chance traded: 2 percent

Tyler Bertuzzi
1 more year at $5,25M
Forget the Brandon Hagel return. Tampa paid for his $1.5M cap hit for two more years. Even if you could get that kind of return, is two late firsts worth it? Besides, Bertuzzi's vaccination status lowers his value. If the Wings trade him, it's probably best to do it next year to get full value.
If you can get a blue-chip LD or C, you make that deal, I suppose. Personally, I would want them to be at least 20. I don't want to push back the rebuild too far. Same with any potential Larkin deal.
Chance traded: 20 percent

Jakub Vrana
2 more years at $4.75
Nobody's talking much about Vrana, who Detroit got in the Mantha deal. He's got 11 goals in just 16 games with the Wings since that trade.He's a proven goal scorer who won the cup with Washington. He has 2 more years at $5.25M. I don't think he plays the kind of two-way game Yzerman values. I think he's more likely than Bertuzzi to be traded. He could have a trade value similar to Tatar's. Tatar fetched a first, second and third.
I wonder if LA might move Turcotte? Probably not for Vrana alone. Can we sweeten that? I'd say Vilardi, but Vilardi has been transitioned to Wing. I'd consider Vilardi + a 2nd and a 3rd.
Chance moved: 40 percent - but I'd like to see it.

Pius Suter
1 more year at $3.25M
Suter's not a 2C. But he's OK as a 3C. Despite being small and -16, he PKs and he's over 50 percent on faceoffs, which is a marked improvement on his rookie season. He's a better shooter than playmaker. Given that he's played in every situation, that he's a center and over 50 percent on draws, I think Suter might have more value than people might first imagine. I don't think you'll get a blue-chip prospect, but you could squeeze a late first out of him. Maybe a 2nd and 3rd is more likely.
Chance moved: 40 percent - but if I'm Steve Yzerman, I'm seeing what I can get.

Vladislav Namestnikov
UFA ($2M)
Vlad's offense seemed to dry up as soon as he got promoted to L1. (0-2-2 in his last 11 after 13-10-23 in 48)
He's a lot like Suter in that he's versatile, he can PK and PP. He's not played much center this year. He's stronger, bigger and grittier than Suter. But since he's not a center. I just don't see him fetching more than a 2nd... maybe a 2nd and 4th. Maybe. He wants to stay in Detroit. I wouldn't mind if he stayed.
Chance moved: 35 percent.

Filip Zadina
RFA ($894,000)
He's on pace for about 11 goals and 25 points. I'm not sure why a playoff team would spend assets on an unproven, floundering kid. But I could see Yzerman tossing Zadina or Rasmussen into a deal to sweeten the return.
Chance moved: 10 percent.

Sam Gagner
UFA $850,000
The UFA RHC/RW has been more productive than Zadina, Erne, Veleno, Rasmussen, etc. He's not great on faceoffs, but he's at around 49 percent on 240 draws. He can play the PK and PP. I could see Detroit moving him out for a 4th. I could also see Detroit resigning him.
Chance moved: 25 percent.

Nick Leddy
UFA ($5.5M)
Leddy's had a pretty brutal year. At -33, by far, he's worst on the team. 1-15-16 is a brutal offensive output - though he's clearly not had much PP opportunity.
Despite that, Leddy has a reputation as a puckmoving, swift skating veteran D, and that should be worth something. I think Yzerman should get more than the 2nd he traded away. I think he could get a first with retention or maybe taking salary back. Again - I'd rather have a somewhat developed, on-track prospect, especially at D or C. Wonder if Florida needs a D.
Chance moved: 95 percent.

Filip Hronek
2 more years at $4.4M
I don't anticipate Hronek moving, but Hronek could go in some kind of blockbuster. He's still a solid offensive defenseman (5-24-29) in 57 games despite a reduced role on the PP. He'd be moved for a young C or LD - something of real substance.
Chance moved: 8 percent.

Troy Stecher
UFA ($1.7M)
Injured even more this year than last. Minutes reduced. If there's a team out there looking for RD depth, Stecher could help. He plays with enough tenacity and speed. But he's compensating for that 5'10 frame, and that's not easy. Especially since he doesn't produce offense like most 5'10 guys. Detroit would take a 5th for him.

Thomas Greiss
UFA $3.6M
Greiss has been a Howard-level disaster, but close. He's shot his trade value. Can't see anyone taking him on.
Chance moved: 2 percent.

Alex Nedeljkovic
1 more year, $3M
Ned might still have value for a team just praying for a goaltending miracle. But man, these last few weeks just crushed his numbers. Yzerman wouldn't get much. So no point in moving him.
Chance moved: 5 percent.

Giddy Up

Vrana seems to be undervalued.
dcz28

I wouldn't trade Vrana for Vilardi + a 2nd and 3rd. Maybe Turcotte plus a 2nd or something since Vrana is a proven NHL scorer (not a rental either) while Turcotte is just a good prospect at this point. I'm sure i would be in the minority but i wouldn't trade him straight up or add anything to trade him for Byfield either. Byfield's numbers as rookie are Rasmussen level and like Ras he might just be a big guy that used his size to dominate kids in juniors but can't do it in the NHL. So far it looks like Stutzle, Raymond, Drysdale and Lundell are all playing much better than him in the NHL. Might be a couple more that pass him as they start playing in the NHL like Sanderson.
DocBrown

I don't think Vrana goes anywhere because his value is not established. He was not a top 6 forward on a loaded Caps lineup and the rest of his play time for the Wings has been abbreviated. He could be an elite forward but unless the Wings get that kind of return why deal him. He fits a need....goal scoring. It's not like they have a ton of that. I'm my mind Larkin s a C1. Ç2 on a Cup finalist. The only reason to deal him is timing and Y's clock moving forward. I don't think anyone goes but Leddy. He almost got to the finals as a top 2 TOI D man and I think would work well with the right pairing.
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
Pop Zeus

Leddy won a cup with Chicago
Fil Zaronek

Vrana has to be worth more than Tatar was. He is younger than Tatar was when he was traded and he has scored at a 30 goal clip in both of the previous pandemic shortened seasons with reason to believe he is capable of more.
El Jefe

I think Vrana is something the Wings really need, someone who can create his own scoring opportunities, actually cash in on his chances, and play from first line to third line. If I had that in hand, I wouldn't give it up. If he were older, sure, but not at his age.
Pop Zeus

Fil Zaronek wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:05 pm Vrana has to be worth more than Tatar was. He is younger than Tatar was when he was traded and he has scored at a 30 goal clip in both of the previous pandemic shortened seasons with reason to believe he is capable of more.
Maybe.
But Tatar
26. 407 games 115 goals 107 points
Vrana
26. 300 games 87-84-171

So that's a factor of 1.3
Comes out to

115-107-222
vs
113-109-222
Fil Zaronek

Pop Zeus wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:01 pm
Fil Zaronek wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:05 pm Vrana has to be worth more than Tatar was. He is younger than Tatar was when he was traded and he has scored at a 30 goal clip in both of the previous pandemic shortened seasons with reason to believe he is capable of more.
Maybe.
But Tatar
26. 407 games 115 goals 107 points
Vrana
26. 300 games 87-84-171

So that's a factor of 1.3
Comes out to

115-107-222
vs
113-109-222
Vrana is 2 years younger than Tatar was at the time. If Tatar was traded 2 years before he was, his value would have been higher and he wasn't having a good year at the time.
Vrana is coming off 2 consecutive 30 goal clip seasons and all of the time off doesn't seem to have slowed him down. Vrana is y9ung still, hasn't peaked yet like Tatar had 3 seasons before his trade so their is hope and potential that he is capable of even more.
Pop Zeus

Vrana is a year younger.