Could Detroit Trade Larkin?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

Could Detroit Trade Larkin?

Post by Pop Zeus »

Two eyebrow-raising news items.
1) Stevie Y is up to something

that item regurgitates something else already reported.
2) Detroit is open for business
https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/seravalli- ... %9f%8e%af/
GM Steve Yzerman has let teams know that he is ‘Open for Business.’ The sense is just about everyone from the Wings roster is available aside from Moritz Seider and Lucas Raymond.
Seravelli goes on to talk about Bertuzzi, but wouldn't that also mean Larkin?

Put the two together, you start thinking, is Yzerman going to move Larkin?
Last edited by Pop Zeus on Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pop Zeus

Re: Could Detroit Trade Larkin?

Post by Pop Zeus »

Personally,
I see a couple reasons to move Larkin.
1) He'll be 27 when his next contract starts. He's probably going to provide diminishing returns for the remainder of his days in Detroit once that contract starts.
2) His first two years with Yzerman were less than stellar. Maybe Yzerman wants to trade high.

Realistically, though, I just can't see justification.
1) Detroit has no other centers remotely capable of ever being a 1C. I'd say Veleno's ability to be a 2C is probably unlikely at this point, though I still have some hope. Rasmussen? Veleno? 3Cs at best. Suter? Please. Red Savage? Ethan Phillips? Liam Dower-Nilsson? Not much in the system at all, honestly.
2) With the signing of Hertel, the UFA market is weak. Trocheck might make a nice 2C behind Larkin. But what if he's your #1? Oh boy.
3) The Wings are in their sixth straight year outside the playoffs. Trading Larkin is a body blow that sets the rebuild back 2-3 years, minimum. That's a kick in the teeth to Red Wings fans - trading away their homegrown captain for 3 more years of suffering. What prospects are worth that?
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

Similar to Bertuzzi, I wouldn’t trade him just to trade him, and even more than Bertuzzi, the return has to be ridiculous… to the point I wouldn’t expect any serious phone calls. Maybe some team with aging stars is desperate to make a final run (Chicago, Pittsburgh) and would be willing to give up three or four first rounders… maybe. Or maybe Colorado is willing to borrow Larkin for the rest of his contract to keep pace with Tampa Bay and Florida. What would that even look like? Byram, Newhook, and a first in 2023? Is Byram even going to play again? The fallout for Yzerman would be so risky, I can’t see it happening. Our center depth would be worst in the league without exception. Maybe the illusion is enough to get GMs on the phone, which inevitably opens up other conversations.
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

Trouble in paradise? What if Draisaitl and McDavid really are sick of Edmonton? Holland could deal Draisaitl for Larkin and Bertuzzi, giving Edmonton more depth for a run at the Cup before McDavid demands out of Edmonton. I could stomach that, though I’d want a pick thrown in as well.
CoconutBackwards

Post by CoconutBackwards »

I've grown to like him.

I felt way too many accolades were thrown his way before he ever earned them at first.

If they can get some great package for him get him out of here!
Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

Why not.

I stand by my feeling that he's not a high IQ player. We're not looking at a future Zetterberg who was still extremely effective in his mid-30s.

Larkin might be more like Ryan Callahan, who was a good player in his 20s, but whose numbers went drastically down after 30.

So, I don't think I'd offer him a 6 or 7 year deal. And, I don't think he's going to take anything less, since he can easily get that via free agency.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

But let's say Yzerman was going to trade Larkin. Who might be a suitor?
Well, let's start with the idea that GMs have a tendency to trade with GMs they have a history with.
That means:
Edmonton.
Tampa.
Anaheim.
Vegas (draft day trades)
Carolina (Bernier/Ned)
Islanders (leddy)
Washington (Mantha)
Columbus (3-way trade)
Colorado (Nemeth deal)
Rangers (Staal)
LA (draft picks)
Wild (draft picks)
Blues (Fabbri)
Chicago (Perlini)

For now, let's eliminate the non playoff teams.
We're left with:
Edmonto - McDavid/Drai/Shore/
Tampa. - Point/Stamkos/Colton
Vegas - Eichel/Stephenson/Patrock
Carolina - Aho/Trocheck/Staal/Kotka
Washington - Kuznetsov/Backstrom/McMichael
Colorado - Mackinnon/Kadri/Sturm (Landeskog out)
Rangers - Zibanejad/Strome/Chytyl
LA - Kopitar/Danault/Byfield
Wild - Hartman/Gaudreau/Ek Eriksson
Blues - OReilly/Thomas/Schenn

Who needs a 1-2C?
Vegas.Lacking a 2C. Also the injuries to Stone and Lehner mean if Vegas is going for it, they need to make a serious move.
Tampa - Maybe if you want to put Stamkos on the wing.
Colorado - Said to want Giroux. Would they want Larkin with Landeskog out?
Rangers - An upgrade on Strome.
Wild - They could use a C. Neither Hartman or Eriksson Ek is over 50 percent on faceoffs. hartman always seemed like a winger.

What kinds of offers could these teams make?

Vegas: Possible assets; Dorofeyev. Miromanov (6;4 undrafted D). Nolan Patrick. Brendan Brisson. Lukas Cormier. Daniil Chayka.
Not sure there's enough meat here to make me salivate.

Tampa: Dylan Duke. Cal Foote.
Really, nothing here to offer.

Colorado: Bowen Byram. Sean Behrens. Ryder Rolston, Alex Newhook. Martin Kaut. Justus Annunen. Justin Baaron. JL Foudy.
All kinds of good stuff.

Rangers: Would they trade Kakko/Lafreniere? Would they add more on top of that? Other names. Othmann. Braden Schneider. Zac Jones.

Wild: Carson Lambos, Jack Peart, Marco Rossi, Marat Khusnuditinov. Ryan O;Rourke. Daemon Hunt. Matthew Boldy. Calen Addison.
Some interesting pieces.

---
A couple of ideas:
1. Colorado: Newhook, Byram + Annunen for Larkin.
Colorado goes all in for the cup.
Wings get a young, highly regardled LD with NHL experience
They get a young C, potentially a #1, most likely a #2.
And a goalie prospect who could challenge next season.

2. NYR: Kaako, Schneider + Othmann for Larkin.
I'm not sure if I'd really do this deal.
We're still sunk at Center.
Kakko is still floundering. Scheider looks like a good prospect. Legit. Othmann could be a dynamic, big winger.

I'm going to add Carolina here:

3. Trocheck + Kotkaniemi + Jarvis for Larkin.
Would Carolina trade away 3 current pieces for Larkin? Maybe we have to toss something else in, like Suter.
But we'd get our 2C in Trocheck. Maybe 1C for the time being. And then we'd develop Kotkaniemi and Jarvis.

Would you do 1, 2 or 3? If any?
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

If we trade Larkin for futures this rebuild is getting extended even longer. If Stevie is putting together a mega deal where we got a first from Montreal, Buffalo and Arizona for Larkin great. No one is sending us a 1C plus for Larkin. It would take a mega package to make it worth while.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

holytoledo wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:07 pm If we trade Larkin for futures this rebuild is getting extended even longer. If Stevie is putting together a mega deal where we got a first from Montreal, Buffalo and Arizona for Larkin great. No one is sending us a 1C plus for Larkin. It would take a mega package to make it worth while.
Newhook, Byram + Annunen for Larkin.
I'd look hard at that.
LD.
C.
G.
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

Pop Zeus wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:01 pm But let's say Yzerman was going to trade Larkin. Who might be a suitor?
Well, let's start with the idea that GMs have a tendency to trade with GMs they have a history with.
That means:
Edmonton.
Tampa.
Anaheim.
Vegas (draft day trades)
Carolina (Bernier/Ned)
Islanders (leddy)
Washington (Mantha)
Columbus (3-way trade)
Colorado (Nemeth deal)
Rangers (Staal)
LA (draft picks)
Wild (draft picks)
Blues (Fabbri)
Chicago (Perlini)

For now, let's eliminate the non playoff teams.
We're left with:
Edmonto - McDavid/Drai/Shore/
Tampa. - Point/Stamkos/Colton
Vegas - Eichel/Stephenson/Patrock
Carolina - Aho/Trocheck/Staal/Kotka
Washington - Kuznetsov/Backstrom/McMichael
Colorado - Mackinnon/Kadri/Sturm (Landeskog out)
Rangers - Zibanejad/Strome/Chytyl
LA - Kopitar/Danault/Byfield
Wild - Hartman/Gaudreau/Ek Eriksson
Blues - OReilly/Thomas/Schenn

Who needs a 1-2C?
Vegas.Lacking a 2C. Also the injuries to Stone and Lehner mean if Vegas is going for it, they need to make a serious move.
Tampa - Maybe if you want to put Stamkos on the wing.
Colorado - Said to want Giroux. Would they want Larkin with Landeskog out?
Rangers - An upgrade on Strome.
Wild - They could use a C. Neither Hartman or Eriksson Ek is over 50 percent on faceoffs. hartman always seemed like a winger.

What kinds of offers could these teams make?

Vegas: Possible assets; Dorofeyev. Miromanov (6;4 undrafted D). Nolan Patrick. Brendan Brisson. Lukas Cormier. Daniil Chayka.
Not sure there's enough meat here to make me salivate.

Tampa: Dylan Duke. Cal Foote.
Really, nothing here to offer.

Colorado: Bowen Byram. Sean Behrens. Ryder Rolston, Alex Newhook. Martin Kaut. Justus Annunen. Justin Baaron. JL Foudy.
All kinds of good stuff.

Rangers: Would they trade Kakko/Lafreniere? Would they add more on top of that? Other names. Othmann. Braden Schneider. Zac Jones.

Wild: Carson Lambos, Jack Peart, Marco Rossi, Marat Khusnuditinov. Ryan O;Rourke. Daemon Hunt. Matthew Boldy. Calen Addison.
Some interesting pieces.

---
A couple of ideas:
1. Colorado: Newhook, Byram + Annunen for Larkin.
Colorado goes all in for the cup.
Wings get a young, highly regardled LD with NHL experience
They get a young C, potentially a #1, most likely a #2.
And a goalie prospect who could challenge next season.

2. NYR: Kaako, Schneider + Othmann for Larkin.
I'm not sure if I'd really do this deal.
We're still sunk at Center.
Kakko is still floundering. Scheider looks like a good prospect. Legit. Othmann could be a dynamic, big winger.

I'm going to add Carolina here:

3. Trocheck + Kotkaniemi + Jarvis for Larkin.
Would Carolina trade away 3 current pieces for Larkin? Maybe we have to toss something else in, like Suter.
But we'd get our 2C in Trocheck. Maybe 1C for the time being. And then we'd develop Kotkaniemi and Jarvis.

Would you do 1, 2 or 3? If any?
I wouldn’t do any of those deals. I think 3 is the closest. Throw back KK and make it 2 firsts instead and I think it’s closer.